Early Morning Workouts

Options
2»

Replies

• EmilyOfTheSun
    EmilyOfTheSun Posts: 1,548 Member
    Options
    Are you eating anything before you workout? You should. Get carbs before you workout.
  • msrootitooti
    msrootitooti Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    When I did my early morning workouts I would eat 1/2 banana before my workout and the other half after. It was enough to keep me from feeling sick.
  • prinlea2000
    prinlea2000 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I typically get up around 4:45 for an a.m. workout & get to the gym around 5:00 or so. I will sometimes do a spoonful of peanut butter or a mini Larabar, but not always, just depends on what workout I am doing (just cardio or weights & cardio). Right after my workout I have a protein shake & will usually put a little pb in there.
  • puppy1002
    puppy1002 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I get up at the same time and I sometimes eat a small apple or orange and I find that to help, of course water also.
  • algonquinchic
    algonquinchic Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I get up the same time and start my workout at 5:00. I just do the treadmill so it isn't quite so bad. I only drink water before and during the workout. No problems yet :) Lets keep these early morning workouts going :)
  • jesmarie423
    Options
    I don't wake up as early as you, but I do wake up at 5:30 and take a bootcamp class at 6am. I usually eat a half of a banana. However, my issue is actually waking up and getting out of bed (this is new for me). Any suggestions?
  • rdhiggins
    Options
    I normally leave for work at 5:00 so I work out at 3:30 or 4:00 on a work day. On weekends I like to catch up on my sleep so I get up closer to 8:00.
  • WhoTheHellIsBen
    WhoTheHellIsBen Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    Are you eating anything before you workout? You should. Get carbs before you workout.

There are a few schools of thought on this with each being backed with some fairly reasonable studies. I think it's actually better to try it and see if it works for you rather than saying you should
  • SyStEmPhReAk
    SyStEmPhReAk Posts: 330 Member
    Options

There are a few schools of thought on this with each being backed with some fairly reasonable studies. I think it's actually better to try it and see if it works for you rather than saying you should

This ^^

I'm up at 4am and working out by 4:20 or so. I do a pre-workout drink with some caffeine and other ingredients to get a good pump, and while i work out I am drinking an intra-workout mix of BCAA's and creatine. No Carbs or any solid food prior to working out and I feel just fine and have made good gains.

For the OP: Experiment with eating more prior to working out or possibly more before you go to bed. Digestion can take anywhere between 6-8 hrs so depending upon when you had your last meal, you may not have much - if anything - in your stomach. Again, this is just a suggestion as it is totally up to you to determine what you need to do to make you feel good during your workout. Also make sure you are getting enough fluids in during your workout.
  • cleotherio
    cleotherio Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I get up at 5:45 to exercise. If I don't do it then during the week, I probably won't do it. I never eat anything before. I used to row competitively and I'd be up before 5 for those. Did that for years on an empty stomach, too. I think if I ate anything too close to working out hard I would barf.
  • bnoren
    bnoren Posts: 2
    Options
    I find that eating half a banana before a workout really helps with energy and nausea
  • cecyvaquero
    cecyvaquero Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    wow 4:30am. That is super early. How about you give me a call at 6am so I can wake my *kitten* up to work out. I have 4 kids so I need my sleep and its hard to wake up so early but I find I feel so much happier and better if I wake up early to work out.

I used to feel dizzy when I work out in the AM until I got used to it. Try eating something before working out. Maybe your body need to adjust to waking up so early.

Don't forget to call me at 6 am ok. Lol :wink:
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    wow 4:30am. That is super early. How about you give me a call at 6am so I can wake my *kitten* up to work out. I have 4 kids so I need my sleep and its hard to wake up so early but I find I feel so much happier and better if I wake up early to work out.

I used to feel dizzy when I work out in the AM until I got used to it. Try eating something before working out. Maybe your body need to adjust to waking up so early.

Don't forget to call me at 6 am ok. Lol :wink:

Time is relative. I go to bed earlier. So, I'm up the same amount of time I was before and I sleep the same amount of time, just the slot moved back a couple hours, but it's exactly the same thing. Early and late are very relative terms. I have two children as a single dad. Doesn't change anything.
  • Squatbenchrepeat
    Options
    I cant walk to the shower or my car in the morning, let alone workout. Props to everyone.
  • Bluebox32
    Bluebox32 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    QUOTE:

Don't forget to call me at 6 am ok. Lol

I have kids myself and morning works better for me. I have always gotten nausea in the morning especially since I do high intensity workouts. I have tried eating a banana, drank milk, and limited water. When the nausea kicked my *kitten* over and over I switched my workouts to the evening but with having kids and life...workouts were not consistent. I have did some research on this and it seems like the nausea is coming for low blood sugar since we basically fast all night. I have just not found anything that really helps me that I can consume 10-15 minutes before my workout and it keeps the nausea at bay.
  • L1zzydarcy
    L1zzydarcy Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    If I'm feeling hungry before I hit the gym in the morning, I try to have something. Just something small like a yogurt or a half an apple, to make sure I have fuel for the gym. Then I eat a real breakfast of oatmeal or something when I get to work. I try to give myself at least 15 minutes between my morning snack and exercise.
  • L1zzydarcy
    L1zzydarcy Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I find it actually helps me work out more consistently if I'm not thinking first. Before my brain is completely awake and engaged I'm on the treadmill where I have to get my feet moving or I'll fly off the thing.
  • Jizes318
    Jizes318 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I eat a quick Nutri Grain bar and after work outs consume protein. Works for me not to eat my breakfast so early but I put enough in to prevent nausea. Good luck!