Hungry after eating, constantly hungry... Never satisfied!

Options
I am afraid I have developed a very bad habit, not only binge eating, but constantly having to eat or drink something, especially when I am at work (my work is desk-bound). Between breakfast and lunch I have at least 1 liter of water, 3 mugs of tea, 2 mugs of instant soup and snacking of my lunch. When lunch time comes, I finish my lunch like I have never eaten before and I still feel (emotionally?) hungry so I rush into shop and get something (trying healthy options, so today for example a small tin of sweetcorn). After that, I get 1 liter of water and a mug of tea and 1 hour after eating my lunch I am almost finishing my water. Yet there is still 3hours until the end of my working day.

I never feel satisfied. I want savoury then sweet then savoury, or food and then drink and then food again, I realize it is not real hunger. My stomach must be very big. I tend to eat healthier food because I always look for quantities. How to cope because it going on the verge of madness! I do want to break the pattern.

Replies

• zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    I use gum. I'd go through a pack (14 sticks) at least a day when I started getting serious about weight loss. It took time to teach myself that it wasn't me being hungry, but eating because I was bloody well BORED.
  • baja572
    baja572 Posts: 94
    Options
    habits are made to be broken. You are in charge. It can be difficult. You constantly feel hungry because you are always keeping a full stomach. It's ok to give your stomach a rest. I eat more if I have food near me. Three meals and a snack that's it for me. I had to get angry at myself to break this habit..Out of sight and out of mouth. You have more willpower than you think...rethink what you take to work to eat..best of luck..you can do it.
  • sgv0918
    sgv0918 Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    I have to have this constant inner monolouge talks with myself..."are u really hungry? Do you feel hunger pangs? Are you just emotional? 90% of the time I can answer no to those and it helps. You're already doing water and tea. Introduce gum I suppose or even sugar free suck on candy until you can break the cycle
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    What are you eating? How many calories are you eating? Do you exercise? Are you netting the calories given to you by MFP? Is it an every day things or just every so often?

The tea and water are great actually... but you may have to also reevaluate what and how much you are eating during the day. It is hard to tell since you have only 1 day logged in the past month.
  • littlecrystal
    littlecrystal Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys. I am not very keen on gum as it can be damaging to my teeth. Endless amounts of water and tea, yes, but the need to have something in my mouth ALL THE TIME is horrendous! I normally bring sufficient food (for the working day) from home, but mostly finish everything by the end of lunch time and if I don’t have money with me, I would go home starving and subsequently overeat..
    I know discipline is needed but I do not have that fire in my tummy which would keep me going and motivated. I have a mentality of a truly fat person. I feel sorry for myself. I wake up with the best intention every morning but mostly give up by lunch time. It sucks. I don’t think it is a matter of willpower, it is low emotional state perhaps…

Perhaps my life is too boring.
  • dahkneeka
    dahkneeka Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I used to be the same. When I stopped constantly eating, I got terrible pain in my stomach so I started muching on vegetables, like celery. Eventually, the habit was broken because water vegetables get boring pretty quick.

Good luck, and awesome job with the water intake!
  • astrylian
    astrylian Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Gum is awful! Personally, chewing gum makes me even more ravenously hungry, and makes my stomach gurgle. I would assume that you probably are an addictive/bored eater, because I deal with this issue myself.

Do you feel like you always have to occupy yourself by eating? Could you possibly train yourself to endure the mental hunger, and gradually become accustomed to what actual hunger feels like?
  • littlecrystal
    Options
    What are you eating? How many calories are you eating? Do you exercise? Are you netting the calories given to you by MFP? Is it an every day things or just every so often?

The tea and water are great actually... but you may have to also reevaluate what and how much you are eating during the day. It is hard to tell since you have only 1 day logged in the past month.

I logged for some time in MFP, lost about 6-7kg, went on holidays (in August), lost my track and gained all and more (+6kg during last 2 months). Now starting all over again... I was in the right mentality when I was losing, eating about 1500-1600kcal with some exercise.
    The problem is that there is ALWAYS a cycle - cycle of dieting and cycle of losing a track. For the last 15 years.
  • GdeVries
    GdeVries Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    How much are you eating? What is your calorie intake and what are you burning each day? Perhaps you aren't eating enough?
    I'd suggest adding more food. If your new lifestyle isn't sustainable, you won't keep with it. Better to lose a little slowly than to lose a lot, then quit and gain it all back.

good luck to you!
  • harvo
    harvo Posts: 4,676 Member
    Options
    2 things.

1. have your blood sugar checked.

2. Brush your teeth every hour or two. I heard that people hate to lose that fresh feeking in their mouth and will not eat or drink as much.
  • PapaverSomniferum
    PapaverSomniferum Posts: 2,677 Member
    Options
    I'm an emotional snacker. I've learned to supply my snack box with healthy things that take a really long time to eat. Full-sized carrots, celery sticks, grapefruits, and pomegranates are my favorites for mindless hand-to-mouth satisfaction.

Better than taking up smoking.

I also invest in a wide variety of coffees and teas to keep my palate from getting bored.
  • LeenaRuns
    LeenaRuns Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem! No matter how much I would eat I'd want more food 10 minutes later. The only thing that seems to help for me is changing what I eat. I cut out grains and now only eat healthy fats 45% (avocado, nuts, oils), protein 25% (greek yogurt, chicken breast), and non-grain carbs 30% (fruits, veggies).
  • Vonwarr
    Vonwarr Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Try to pick more protein rich food. Protein causes your body to send "satiety" (I'm full now) signals to your brain. Carbs on the other hand (especially highly processed ones) cause your body to crave more. It may be difficult, but it is a habit that can be broken!

Good luck!
  • tiffastar
    tiffastar Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I would say time and consistance will help break the habit. I also wanted salty then sweet then salty again. Find ways to occupy yourself that isn't eating too - I know how desk bound jobs can be. It's an addiction and it's not an easy one to break but I did it, millions on MFP have done it, and you can do it too.
    Another thought - a friend of mine had a sleepy study done and found that she was waking up 70+ times a night without realizing. She then ate a lot all day trying to get back some energy. See your doctor to see if that helps.
  • baja572
    baja572 Posts: 94
    Options
    Exercise while sitting to curve being bored. Light hand and ankle weights might help.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    hard boiled eggs fill you up somehow and are a great snack

ignore the cholesterol scare tactics

eggs are a complete food

just make sure you have some breath mints for after
  • hidensee
    hidensee Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Have you had a checkup lately just to make sure there is nothing physically going on like diabetes? All that fluid intake is a little concerning to me. Anything in extremes is not good. If you have to chew I'm with the group that recommend sugar free gum.
  • littlecrystal
    Options
    I used to be the same. When I stopped constantly eating, I got terrible pain in my stomach so I started muching on vegetables, like celery. Eventually, the habit was broken because water vegetables get boring pretty quick.

Good luck, and awesome job with the water intake!

I am glad to hear that you manage to break the habit. I actually had brought some celery for today, but it had a terrible pesticide taste even after a thorough wash, I had to throw it away.

It is not as feeling thirsty but more needing of something in my mouth or a taste on my tongue.

I have done most of the right things when I am in the right mental state, i.e. light healthy snacks etc, but always get bored with easily calorie-accountable foods. I am coming to the conclusion that I need to fix my emotional state first.
  • lilcupcake213
    lilcupcake213 Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    http://pinterest.com/pin/260927372130273658/

It's a list of "craving this means you really need this" and tells you what to eat in its place.

Take a look at the list. Maybe if you pinpoint exactly what you are wanting/craving at a certain time you can fill those cravings with more calorie appropriate food. I used to binge eat right after my meals. I wasn't hungry but my mind though I was. So I would just eat because of boredom. Try eating the right foods that can curb your appetite.
  • paxbfl
    paxbfl Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure how much this applies to you because your diary isn't complete.

One of the biggest things about hunger is blood sugar. If you don't eat for a long time, your blood sugar drops. Eat a big meal (or sugar, or simple carbs that convert rapidly to sugar) and your blood sugar spikes. The sugar gets burned off rapidly and you crash and get really hungry again. Two ways to fight this.

First and most easily... eliminate all sugar from your diet. No soda, no sweet tea, no cookies, etc. Get rid of as many "simple carbs" as possible - white bread, pasta, etc. Look for complex carbs made of whole grains that your body digests more slowly (so it doesn't cause the same kind of sugar spike).

Second... consider eating "mini meals" throughout the day. Instead of 3 big meals, eat 5-6 mini meals. So if your daily goal is 1500 calories, eat 5 300 calorie meals. That way you're eating every 2-3 hours through the day. Your blood sugar remains more stable through the day - you'll feel more "even keel" - less hunger, less feeling "full". Your energy level will be more consistent too because you'll eliminate the sugar spikes. No more afternoon slump for example.

Eating more frequently helps with the emotional eating too - since that's what you want to do anyway.

As others have said, drink tons of water and munch of healthy things like carrot sticks and veggies. I enjoy unsweetened tea - caffeinated in the morning, decaf at night.

Hope that helps!