When to eat question

Options
I've heard a lot of different things regarding how one should eat throughout the day. One thing I keep hearing from folks I know is that you shouldn't eat later in the day, at least not as much as earlier in the day. I trust what I hear from people on this site a lot more than the Joe-schmoes I deal with regularly, as you folks are so dedicated and seemingly educated on this stuff.

I basically start small, eat a bigger lunch and supper, then a few snacks to get to my calorie goal for the day (usually a couple low-cal beers at night is what puts me over my calorie goal....I know its bad, but that is my regular routine in all honesty). Anyway, I've heard from folks that I shouldn't be eating anything after around 7-8 at night (usually in bed by 9:30, up around 4:30 AM).

Should I be loading heavier in the morning, and less after around 6, or does this really matter that much? My normal breakfast is betweeen 150-250 calories.

Thanks for any input on this, as its been "weighing" on me lately (pun intended)

Replies

• Bobby__Clerici
    Bobby__Clerici Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    It's junk science....more or less....:bigsmile:
    Don't worry too much about this.
    If you want to try different food intake routines, have at it. I believe in experimenting with "bro-science" so long as it's not too absurd.
    I found that I enjoy Intermittent Fasting 6 days per week.
    It helps control my calories, and it appears to help with fat loss.
    I eat in an eight hour window after fasting for 16 hours. It's just something I wanted to try, and I found that it helps.
    Everybody is different, and you need to research new things, then give those a go that strike your fancy.
    It's like the first experiments in drilling for oil; sometimes you just need to sink a well to hit pay dirt, and other times you come up dry.
    Good Luck!
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    For 90% of people, nutrient timing is largely irrelevant. Whether you get them all in 1 meal at 10pm, or in a bunch of little meals throughout the day, it doesn't much matter as long as total consumption (both cals and macros) is correct.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter at all. I try to eat light all day because I like to eat at night when I'm lazy. I enjoy a nice dinner, and PB&J as a snack and maybe some other stuff to graze. So, I'll eat like 1/3 of my calories in the day, and eat the other 2/3 at night. It works really well for me. Do whatever you want. Some people swear by never eating after 7pm. I don't think it's that, it's more just a simple and pure calorie restriction that is working for them, but they don't know the difference.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,282 Member
    Options
    Meal timing and frequency have no impact on weight loss or metabolic rate.

It is all personal preference.
  • Bobby__Clerici
    Options
    For 90% of people, nutrient timing is largely irrelevant. Whether you get them all in 1 meal at 10pm, or in a bunch of little meals throughout the day, it doesn't much matter as long as total consumption (both cals and macros) is correct.
    ^^^^^^^^
    This Totally
  • Bobby__Clerici
    Options
    Meal timing and frequency have no impact on weight loss or metabolic rate.

It is all personal preference.
    I agree, and yet I have gleaned much from just trying different things. You're right. It's personal preference.
    Some folks make a religion of it.
    That I find absurd.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    I would absolutely let personal preference and gym performance dictate your decisions on meal frequency/timing.
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    Experiment! At least one study I've found indicates that larger consumption of protein in the mornings in men tends to lead to greater satiety throughout the day, making one less prone to snacking.

But it all depends on what feels best for you, which is guaranteed to be different than others.
  • Crayvn
    Crayvn Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I would absolutely let personal preference and gym performance dictate your decisions on meal frequency/timing.

THIS^^^
  • 1holegrouper
    1holegrouper Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I would time your meals in a way that you are maximizing your energy levels and are able to maintain your calorie deficit goal discipline. If it requires eating at funky times or frequency so be it.

Edit; its highly individual and even then, what works for you now may not work for you later. I don't think any approach is wrong or any approach is best as long as you are feeling good and stoked about it.
  • gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    I'm on the personal preference bandwagon. I've tried several methods to see how I liked each. I did the 6 small meals throughout the day for a year straight, followed by 8 straight months where I ate only once per day. In both scenarios I ate all of my calories and met my macronutrient goals. Neither worked better for me than the other. Eating once per day is much more convenient but becomes difficult when you want to be social on the weekends etc. Each have their pros and cons.

Now...I do whatever I want.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options

What if I don't workout at a gym?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,709 Member
    Options
    I eat when I'm hungry.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Crayvn
    Crayvn Posts: 390 Member
    Options

then focus on personal preference :)
  • SideSteel
    Options

I couldn't find anything on pubmed to link so I'm temporarily defeated.
  • Lois_1989
    Lois_1989 Posts: 6,410 Member
    Options
    I'm the same, but I think that is just what happens now days. Logically it should be a big breakfast and then get lighter because you will burn and use those calories through out the day whereas if you eat a big meal in the evening it just sits in your stomach and gets digested and (apparently) stored as fat. I would take the last bit with a pinch of salt. Plus possibly if you ate a big breakfast you would be less likely to snack during the day, because logically you should still be full.
    BUT like I said, I leave early in the morning and don't have time to make a big breakfast so it's cereal and in the evening it's more sociable to sit down to a big meal. So it would never pan out that way for me. I think it's down to your routine, what you have time for and mainly what it is you are actually eating. So I wouldn't stop by a greasy cafe, just to get your big meal in at the beginning of the day, stick to what you have.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I eat when I'm hungry as long as it fits within my calories. If your method is working for you, then stick with it. Eating early or late doesn't matter. I used to eat up right up until bed (I only don't do it now because I use a mouthwash you can't rinse for 30 minutes after using).
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options

Definitely this. I do eat about 5 times per day, but that's only because I get hungry otherwise. Doing that, my 5 "meals" do tend to be in a similar calorie range. I do find it difficult to eat big meals these days as it leaves me feeling bloated and lethargic...eating 5 smaller meals just helps me to be satiated, but not overly stuffed. Other than that, I don't think it makes any difference at all.
  • nekia84
    nekia84 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Agree with most of the stuff already said. Everyone's body is different. I tend to gain more weight when I skip meals because I am prone to overeating. I've always been taught that eating 3 balanced meals a day and 3 small healthy snacks in between keeps your metabolism up and helps sustain your energy level at the gym to effectively burn more calories. Weight loss results in more calories burned vs total caloric intake and there's no mention of timing of those calories in this equation. I would however stay away from eating before bed as your body goes into a lower metabolic state during sleep and takes longer to process the food you just ate. In my experience, it has been helpful to avoid eating (at least calorie laden foods) a few hours before bed. Hope this helps.
  • SideSteel
    Options
    Agree with most of the stuff already said. Everyone's body is different. I tend to gain more weight when I skip meals because I am prone to overeating. I've always been taught that eating 3 balanced meals a day and 3 small healthy snacks in between keeps your metabolism up and helps sustain your energy level at the gym to effectively burn more calories. Weight loss results in more calories burned vs total caloric intake and there's no mention of timing of those calories in this equation. I would however stay away from eating before bed as your body goes into a lower metabolic state during sleep and takes longer to process the food you just ate. In my experience, it has been helpful to avoid eating (at least calorie laden foods) a few hours before bed. Hope this helps.

Re: eating at night--For digestive discomfort it may matter individually. For weight loss, it's irrelevant.