Confused again....

Options
Sorry guys, I have another question. I'm hoping to get this figured out so I can leave everyone alone, but right now I'm making myself crazy. Everyday it seems I end up changing my goals. I just want to set them and leave them.

Here's my info, someone please tell me what to do.

I'm 5'5, 177lbs. I have an 8 month old son and I'm a SAHM. I want to lose 40lbs. I clean the house daily, prepare meals, play with the baby, haul it up and down the stairs several times (I'm forgetful) and exercise everyday. I usually do 40 minutes on the elliptical but also do videos, go to the park when it's nice and do strength training with the little equip I have.

I have myself listed as sedentary. Is this true? I don't know how to gauge since I don't work outside the home. Currently I'm set to lose 2lbs per week and am allowed 1200 calories.

Please someone help me make since of all of this, how many calories should I get per day....I know it's silly that I'm stressing over this but I really want the weight gone and when I read other people's posts I get confused.

Replies

• PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,734 Member
    Options
    I think you should up your activity by two levels — to "active." I have mine set at "lightly active," and it sounds like you move more than I do.
  • tnewcom
    Options
    u should have it at slightly active..that is what i have and i am on my feet most of the days w/ the housework and kids i babysit
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    Why don't you try lightly active and if you aren't losing and still feel hungry, up it to active? I really wasn't sure of my activity level either, turns out to be around the 'active' level even though I work a desk job (two of them actually, plus have three children).
  • MTGirl
    MTGirl Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    You set your activity level not counting for exercise, as you log that separately and get extra calories for that. You should probably be at "lightly active". You don't want to go too low, or your metabolism will slow down. I, personally, think that 2 lbs per week is too aggressive of a goal. But that's just my opinion :flowerforyou: You should definately be eating more than 1200 calories though, and at least 1/2 of your exercise calories you earn. :drinker:
  • HOSED49
    HOSED49 Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    I agree, you should bump from sedentary. Even though you are at home, you are consistently carrying around your child which is like carrying around a light dumbell or medicine ball, your lifting him over and over and over which is a workout in itself albeit alot more fun than a dumbell! Your exercise videos alone push you out of the sedentary category. You state you exercise everyday which definitely puts you over the sedentary category.
  • balance9
    balance9 Posts: 160
    Options
    It sounds like your activity level is active...if you are moving a lot throughout the day in addition to your 40 minutes of exercise. Have you tried a pedometer to see how much general activity you're getting outside of your workout? If you're averaging about 8-10,000 steps a day (including your workout), you're lightly active. Less than that and you're probably sedentary. 12,000 or more is generally active.
  • melbhall
    melbhall Posts: 519
    Options
    Thanks, I'll bump it up a level. I really want to lose 2lbs per week but honestly I feel sluggish at 1200 calories. Yesterday I felt sick all day. When I had it at about 1400 calories I was losing a bit of weight and felt great. Now I just feel tired and icky. I will bump up my activity level and my goal back at 1lb per week. At least I'll see some change on the scale and if not, well I will feel better. Sorry I keep having these questions I am just confused by all of this so I wanted input. Thanks again for all of your help.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,112 Member
    Options
    Thanks, I'll bump it up a level. I really want to lose 2lbs per week but honestly I feel sluggish at 1200 calories. Yesterday I felt sick all day. When I had it at about 1400 calories I was losing a bit of weight and felt great. Now I just feel tired and icky. I will bump up my activity level and my goal back at 1lb per week. At least I'll see some change on the scale and if not, well I will feel better. Sorry I keep having these questions I am just confused by all of this so I wanted input. Thanks again for all of your help.

If you felt good at 1400 and you were losing weight, then go back to that - and eat your exercise calories!!!!!

Have you read all the sticky posts at the top of the "General Weight Loss" category? Because you're not working the program.

I always ate all my exercise calories.
    Set your activity at active.
    Set your loss goal at one pound.
    Eat your exercise cals.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options

2 lbs a week might be pushing it, I would probably aim for 1.5 lbs a week to start, then once you get below 165 drop that to 1 lb a week.
  • melbhall
    melbhall Posts: 519
    Options
    It's done and I'm not touching it again (unless you tell me to). I can't figure out how to get it back to the 1400 mark. So, I'm set at 1.5lbs per week, 1330 calories, lightly active and I put my exercise as 4 workouts per week for 30 minutes...still not sure how that works, I have worked out every day since I started on the site but I don't know that I always will. And yes, I will eat back my exercise calories!
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    It's done and I'm not touching it again (unless you tell me to). I can't figure out how to get it back to the 1400 mark. So, I'm set at 1.5lbs per week, 1330 calories, lightly active and I put my exercise as 4 workouts per week for 30 minutes...still not sure how that works, I have worked out every day since I started on the site but I don't know that I always will. And yes, I will eat back my exercise calories!

good stuff lady! you can always adjust later. If you want to find out how to put in more specific numbers later, when you feel more confident, just ask, there's an easy way to edit your numbers.
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,734 Member
    Options
    I always ate all my exercise calories.
    Set your activity at active.
    Set your loss goal at one pound.
    Eat your exercise cals.
    I concur with all of the above. :smile: