Can you make yourself like yoga?

Options
I used to loooooove yoga. A couple of years ago I was doing it every single morning. Then I started running more and training for races, so yoga took a backseat and eventually I just stopped doing it. About a year ago I decided I wanted to get into it again so I joined a studio in an attempt to get back into it, but I moved away and now I can't afford a yoga studio in addition to my gym membership. I'd like to start doing it on my own in the mornings again, but I'm just not that into it. I want to be. I miss the flexibility, balance and energy it gave me, but I don't miss the practice itself. Does anyone have any advice? Maybe some videos or something you'd recommend?

Replies

• skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    I hate yoga with a flaming hot passion, but I do 90 minutes a week as part of my P90X program because I know it is good for me.

I haven't tried it, but a few of my friends have liked Jillian Michaels Yoga Meltdown. You can find it on YouTube.
  • pwelch117
    pwelch117 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Make yourself like yoga, no. Enjoy the benefits of it and understand it is an exercise program you can do anywhere at any age and get results from it, yes.

I am fortunate to have found a good studio nearby and try to get 4 classes in per week. Tuesday: Men's, Wednesday: Core, Saturday: Flow followed by Gentle.

Previously I would do DVD's at home periodically. The ones from GAIAM ( http://www.gaiam.com/yoga/videos/3010200,default,sc.html ) are pretty good. I prefer Rodney Yee titles.
  • Erica262
    Erica262 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I hate yoga with a flaming hot passion, but I do 90 minutes a week as part of my P90X program because I know it is good for me.

I haven't tried it, but a few of my friends have liked Jillian Michaels Yoga Meltdown. You can find it on YouTube.

Thanks, I'll try the Jillian one.

I'd also like to try P90X.... If I could find it for free/cheap...
  • Erica262
    Options
    Make yourself like yoga, no. Enjoy the benefits of it and understand it is an exercise program you can do anywhere at any age and get results from it, yes.

I am fortunate to have found a good studio nearby and try to get 4 classes in per week. Tuesday: Men's, Wednesday: Core, Saturday: Flow followed by Gentle.

Previously I would do DVD's at home periodically. The ones from GAIAM ( http://www.gaiam.com/yoga/videos/3010200,default,sc.html ) are pretty good. I prefer Rodney Yee titles.

Thank you, I'll look into the Gaiam videos too. I'd love to join a studio again, but I won't be able to squeeze it into my budget for at least a few more months.
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,784 Member
    Options
    Can you make yourself like broccoli (or insert vegetable here that you dislike)? If you ate it everyday, would you still dislike it - maybe, but not as much - and eventually it would become a habit. Yoga can be like that.

I love yoga. I practice nearly everyday. There are days I don't want to practice though. I'm sure there are days you don't want to run. You do it anyway, right?
    I would try to think back on what you liked about yoga - not just the benefits, because that doesn't always work to inspire us to do something (see broccoli above :tongue: ) - what did you like about doing it? What do you like about running? Can you bring that to your yoga practice?

As far as videos go, I used to do the Rodney Yee ones a lot. I also like Patricia Walden (she only has two). Both are through Gaiam.

Good luck
  • tescav
    tescav Posts: 5
    Options
    I've found that I hate following traditional routines but enjoy looking up different poses and creating my own flows. I also found I have a HUGE love for inversions (headstands). They require a lot of strength in your core and shoulders and it's really good for your brain to get some blood back after a long day. Just look up different poses, see what you like, and just sort of move between them. Maybe throw in one or two here or there that you don't like but like the benefits of. Good luck!
  • Erica262
    Options

I would try to think back on what you liked about yoga - not just the benefits, because that doesn't always work to inspire us to do something (see broccoli above :tongue: ) - what did you like about doing it? What do you like about running? Can you bring that to your yoga practice?

Thanks for this! I'm going to think about this over the next few days. (This is why I love MFP haha)
  • Erica262
    Options
    I've found that I hate following traditional routines but enjoy looking up different poses and creating my own flows. I also found I have a HUGE love for inversions (headstands). They require a lot of strength in your core and shoulders and it's really good for your brain to get some blood back after a long day. Just look up different poses, see what you like, and just sort of move between them. Maybe throw in one or two here or there that you don't like but like the benefits of. Good luck!

When I was doing it before, poses like back bends and spinal twists were my favorite. Maybe if I just start mindfully stretching more in the mornings after my walks/runs with the dog, I can turn it back into a yoga practice... Thanks!