Buffalo Meat

jday53405
jday53405 Posts: 20
edited September 20 in Food and Nutrition
I know, red meat is not the best for you, but that is just one of my must have things. If you eat red meat and looking for something low fat and low cal Buffalo meat is great. If you get the good stuff, it has less fat and calories that even chicken. I like ground turkey also, but this taste a lot more like beef than that.

I get mine from here http://www.buffalogal.com . They have the lean ground buffalo I love and a discount if you buy bulk. It is a bit more expensive than beef. In my opinion it is so worth it. The steaks are amazing to. Make sure you marinate them. They are very low fat, so they can get dry if you don't. If you do it right, it sure makes up for a big ol steak if you craving one.

Replies

• rkascak
    rkascak Posts: 224 Member
    i dont think ill be trying buffalo meat anytime soon, but what does it taste like? Does is taste gamey? like deer or lamb?
  • lt_mrcook
    lt_mrcook Posts: 389 Member
    Or just spend the extra money and get pastured beef. It has more vitamins, less sat fat, and higher Omega-3 than corn fed beef.

Google Joel Salatin or Polyface Farms to get an idea of what you're missing.
  • I havn't tried pastured beef, sounds interesting. I found some 95/5 stuff, but even that didn't hit buffalo values.

IMO Buffalo tastes just like beef, not gamey at all.
  • i dont think ill be trying buffalo meat anytime soon, but what does it taste like? Does is taste gamey? like deer or lamb?

I haven't had any from the site he mentions, but a friend of a friend raises buffalo. I've had it in a number of different forms at their place and cooked with it some on my own. It doesn't have any sort of gamey taste to it. It tastes very similar to beef except there's almost a little bit of a sweetness to it. That's my opinion anyway.
  • Buffalo is yummy! :-9 I think it tastes a bit different than beef, but it's not gamey like deer is.
This discussion has been closed.