Please Help...Why am I so bloated???

Options
Hi all:

I have reached my goal weight and have been maintaining it for about 4 months now. In the course of this, I have changed my eating habits. I eat mostly fresh uncooked fruits and veggies. I make my own salad dressing that does not include salt and I don't use salt to season my meat when I bake/grill it. My daily sodium is usually in the area of 200-600 mg per day. I make sure that I drink my water and I do drink unsweetened tea. I do eat fresh fruit as a late night snack and I will indulge in a glass of wine with dinner. I work out, mostly weight training and with all of this I still find days that I am bloated. It's not T.O.M as of yet but I can just imagine what will happen with that time does come. I am on birth control pills and have been on the same ones for approximately a year. So what gives? I don't want to resort to diuretics so I am asking that if anyone has any advice to give I will GREATLY appreciate it.

The bloating is not isolated in any one area but evenly distributed. I can see it in my face, feel it in my extremities (arms and legs), abdomen and fingers.

Please help. Thanks so much!!!!!

Replies

• firegirlred
    firegirlred Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I find that most alcohols will bloat me for a day or two. I think vodka is the only thing that doesn't (for me).

I'd definitely talk to a doctor though. This could be a sign of a problem. Ask if 200-600 mg of sodium is healthy for someone who doesn't have any health problems. Your electrolytes could be out of whack. But don't supplement without consulting a physician. If your sodium is too low and you supplement other electrolytes, you could make the problem worse. I'm not a Doctor, and can't advise you on what the problem is. There are SO many things that can cause this. But if you're finding that no matter what you do, you still carry a lot of water weight, then your body is trying to tell you something.
  • MTGirl
    MTGirl Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    What I have read indicates that your sodium and potassium levels need to be balanced. You may actually need to eat a little more sodium than you usually do - it is vital for the fluids in your cells. I thought this was an interesting write up. http://www.naturalnews.com/024539_potassium_sodium_blood.html Also google sodium potassium balance and you may find more info.

Other than that - there may be a medical condition. If nothing seems to change it I would bring it up to my doc. Good luck!
  • EmilyStrick
    Options
    are you sure it's bloating? does it come and go? if it is for sure bloating, then it sounds like you should go see a doctor since you seem to be eating all the right things!!! i would go ask for a food allergy test, and there are some other tests they can do for ibs and other such conditions.
  • balance9
    balance9 Posts: 160
    Options
    It sounds like you're doing everything right...I agree with firegirlred that you should double-check with your doc to make sure everything checks out OK. You don't mention any other symptoms, so I'll bet it's no big deal. But I would also try to ditch the glass of red wine with dinner as a few others suggested, to see if that makes a difference. Red wine definitely has benefits (hey, it's heart-healthy!) but it will also contribute to bloating, interferes with hormones (do a Google search for alcohol and testosterone/estrogen) and brings fat-burning to a screeching halt while your body makes metabolizing it 'priority one'.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,031 Member
    Options
    What I have read indicates that your sodium and potassium levels need to be balanced. You may actually need to eat a little more sodium than you usually do - it is vital for the fluids in your cells. I thought this was an interesting write up. http://www.naturalnews.com/024539_potassium_sodium_blood.html Also google sodium potassium balance and you may find more info.

Other than that - there may be a medical condition. If nothing seems to change it I would bring it up to my doc. Good luck!

This is good advice.