Eating more calories, having trouble with carbs

So in starting the new year I have decided to follow IPOARM and raise my calorie levels as the 1200 calorie MFP allowance just didn't seem to be working well for me in weight loss or my lifestyle. Now that I have raised my calories however I am having trouble getting that amount of calories without going way over on carbs for the day. Anyone have any suggestions or advice for a newbie to eating more but still keeping my macros where they should be?

Replies

• auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    First, I'd recommend calculating the macros you need according to your weight and make sure that your macros are set right (the standard MPF breakdown is not necessarily correct for everyone). There's more info here:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets

Secondly, to shift calories away from carbs, you'll need to increase protein and fat intake. Try to focus on healthy fats (olive oil, avocados, coconut oil, etc. - I love my natural peanut butter) and lean meats.
  • mrsrobinsonlj
    mrsrobinsonlj Posts: 4 Member
    Me too! I have been put on a low carb, low fat regimine but I am losing weight and I don't want to loose any more. I am most specifically on a low fat diet because I have cholesterol issues. Eating properly seems to have gotten really hard because I already eat little fat. ( I think my issue is more genetic)
  • DeMayr
    DeMayr Posts: 67
    Start eating more meat, fish, eggs, and cheese.
  • BarbellCowgirl
    BarbellCowgirl Posts: 1,271 Member
    Nuts, chicken, fish, eggs, and lean meat, etc.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Me too! I have been put on a low carb, low fat regimine but I am losing weight and I don't want to loose any more. I am most specifically on a low fat diet because I have cholesterol issues. Eating properly seems to have gotten really hard because I already eat little fat. ( I think my issue is more genetic)

Odd, my doctor told me that dietary fat has no relation to cholesterol. And provided studies to back it up.
  • FitCowgirl8
    FitCowgirl8 Posts: 175 Member
    Thank you guys you have been helpful....I should add Im trying to keep fat intake low as I have high cholesterol and am working to lower it.
  • DeMayr
    DeMayr Posts: 67
    Fat is not bad for you and like another poster commented, no correlation concluded from modern research. Fat and protein are your two best bets when trying to lose weight.
  • green022
    green022 Posts: 115
    Snacks lately are helping me with the same thing, tons of veggies and hummus or nuts, some fruit, whole wheat crackers. Really just been over loading good healthy foods it seems to help me raise the calories but not so much of the sugar, carbs and fats.
    This is just what has helped me out hope this gives you some ideas!
    Good luck!
  • mrsrobinsonlj
    mrsrobinsonlj Posts: 4 Member
    Thanks for your response..I will do more checking into this issue!
  • neurochamp
    neurochamp Posts: 261 Member
    Agree with others - fat is not always bad. You need to look at your specific cholesterol numbers and talk to your doctor about how to best work on them. For me, my worst number was my triglycerides - normal range is 0-149 mg/dL, but I was at 183 mg/dL - my doc told me that too many carbs tend to cause high triglycerides, so I adjusted my macro goals. I shoot for 40 carbs/30 protein/30 fat (but more realistically end up near 50/25/25; still an improvement over old eating habits).

In the last year I have lowered my triglycerides from 183 mg/dL to 89 mg/dL, just by working on lowering carbs. I still eat plenty of healthy fats (fish, olive oil, nuts, avocados), and have added more eggs (with veggies instead of toast) and protein shakes to the mix.

Edited to add: I also eat a LOT more Greek yogurt and oatmeal (overnight refrigerator oatmeal is my new fave). Combining extra protein with GOOD carbs and fats helps a lot, I think.
  • FitCowgirl8
    OK I am new to all of this so I am still learning...so to be sure Im right, eating the good fats will not be a problem with cholesterol?
  • Minnie_Moo
    Minnie_Moo Posts: 239 Member
    What are your settings ?

I read in a previous post from Dan "If you want simplified macronutrients, set Protein and Fat both to 30% using the drop down numbers. Carbs should fill in at 40% unless you live in a wormhole and the laws of standard percentages don't apply. This is similar to The Zone Diet in terms of macros "

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12
  • FitCowgirl8
    Thanks for the link! After doing the calculations it looks like my macros should be protein 30% fats 30% and carbs 40%. Does this seem pretty accurate?
  • FitCowgirl8
    What are your settings ?

I read in a previous post from Dan "If you want simplified macronutrients, set Protein and Fat both to 30% using the drop down numbers. Carbs should fill in at 40% unless you live in a wormhole and the laws of standard percentages don't apply. This is similar to The Zone Diet in terms of macros "

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

I went back and checked and that is what I had them set to after reading Dan's post
  • I have cut back on carbs also and have found that flax seed meal is really good. You can make hot cereal w/ different types of fruit, muffins, bread, and other things. Its also high in fiber so that helps too.
  • Minnie_Moo
    Minnie_Moo Posts: 239 Member
    Thanks for the link! After doing the calculations it looks like my macros should be protein 30% fats 30% and carbs 40%. Does this seem pretty accurate?

I have mine set as Dan suggested in his post - I have 40% carbs and 30% for protein & fats. I know I am going to go over those numbers some days but it is still better than not watching at all & having my numbers :noway: way higher than that.....
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Thank you guys you have been helpful....I should add Im trying to keep fat intake low as I have high cholesterol and am working to lower it.

You can't do low fat and reduced carb, you will really struggle to make anything approaching a balanced nutritious diet. If you want to reduce wholegrains, beans and lentils you must substantially increase nuts, seeds, cocoa etc to get enough minerals and fibre. Please don't start cutting out or down hard on food groups unless you understand how to replace the nutrients with other foods.

And low fat is not generally recommended by medics for hypercholesterolaemia - you need the right balance and type of fats, plenty of long chain omega-3s from oily fish for example, limiting omega-6s and saturated animal fats. Certain types of fibre are also beneficial - especially soluble fibre found in certain grains, beans, lentils and some seeds. The type of carbs you choose is also important.

Have you seen a registered dietician? Are you hitting 10,000 steps every day plus intense exercise at least three times a week assuming you are otherwise healthy? This can really benefit your numbers.
  • Crayvn
    Crayvn Posts: 390 Member
    What are your settings ?

I went back and checked and that is what I had them set to after reading Dan's post

it can be a little *tricky* to stay within your Macros *exactly*. but now that you have a ratio it will help you stay in the proper guidelines better. Dont beat yourself up if you go over a bit on any of them. it can become obsessive :p