Hey...I'm new!

Options
Hey everyone, I am new here. I just joined a couple days ago and I'm slowly getting into the swing of things. My friend told me about this site, and considering I can't lose weight any other way, why not!
I'm looking for some new friends to encourage, and help encourage me. Yesterday was a REALLY bad day for me and today is only DAY THREE!

Anyone have any tips on how to not *EAT EVERYTHING IN SITE* when you are having an emotional day? That's definitely my biggest problem. Yesterday I had a terrible day, and I was very emotional and just kept eating and eating and eating. EEK!

I'm tired of being the fat one of all my friends. I'm not going to lie when I say when we go out, I'm the fat one! And I'm not super obese or anything! Just overweight by about 40 lbs or so. So my self-confidence level is definitely shot!

Anyway, I'd love to make some new friends to help along this new journey in my life!

Replies

• drvvork
    drvvork Posts: 1,162
    Options
    Welcome to the site... you can do it! :flowerforyou: I wished I had found this site much earlier than I did.

The main things to remember is to log your foods / drinks and be honest with yourself. Drink your 64 oz of water every day... as far as being an emotional eater - I don't have any real answers for you... maybe some others have good suggestions. :bigsmile: You might want to start your day out with high protein rather than carbs - this might help you.

Good luck on your journey... :flowerforyou:
  • BLynnTE
    BLynnTE Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hey C, I'm fairly new here as well. Signed up a few weeks ago, but this week is when I've really been using the site for real. I know exactly what you mean about your group of friends. None of my friends is SUPER skinny, but they are all in great shape and slender. Lately, I have definitely felt like "the fat one," and that has been a big motivation for me as well to get things under control.

I really think logging your meals (and snacks) on the site will be a big help to you with not overeating. I know a huge problem for me has been picking things up here and there at work where there is always food and/or candy around. Logging what I'm eating has really kept me conscious of not wasting calories on those extra things that I eat because I'm bored (or any other not great reasons).

One thing I have tried when I feel like I'm headed for one of those days is planning out and logging all my meals for the day in the morning. Then I know that I have something good coming at my next meal to look forward to, and I also know that I don't want to have to go back and add that piece of candy or whatever to my log when it's already looking pretty full.

Hope this helps, and I'm happy to support! Good luck!
  • AndreeT
    AndreeT Posts: 191
    Options
    Hello and welcome!

We can defenitely do this together! I felt like I was reading my own profile when I read your post! I too need to lose a few pounds (ok maybe a bit more than a few) I have stuggled with my weight for ever. I have always been the bigger one in my group of friend and I am tired of it! I joined 10 days ago and have lost 2lbs already!! Remember to be honest with yourself and log everything that you eat. This way it gives you a clear idea of how you are eating up your calories. Don't worry about going over. If it's been a really stressfull day then do a little more excersise to be able to eat up a few more calories to make up for it. You won't feel so bad for having eaten certain foods and it will help de-stress a little bit. I have to admit the first few days were hard but then realized that I wasn't hungry all the time like I used to be if I started my day with a sustainable breakfast!

Congrats on taking the first step! I'll be sending you a friend invite :smile:
  • gailwyn
    Options
    I too have had a tendency to eat "everything in sight" when I'm bored/sad/angry or any other strong emotion. In the past I've found myself justifying eating whatever I want by telling myself I deserve it because of whatever I'm going through emotionally. Since joining this site I've done what everyone has suggested you do by being utterly and completely honest with what I log. If it goes past my lips, it ends up on my log. But I also have found that by changing what foods I choose to eat when I'm not stressed makes a huge impact on how I deal with stress & emotional eating when I am stressed. If I am already hungry and then something stressful happens, its a really easy jump to just say "screw it" and eat those potato chips, or cookies or candy. But if I've been making appropriate choices and I'm not really hungry, then I don't feel that urge. What I do to stay full throughout the day is eat a portion of good carbs and a portion of good protein (lean poultry/cottage cheese/fish) four or five times a day, eating veggies with at least two of those. That helps me stay within my calorie goal AND I don't get the blood sugar fluctuations that leave me vulnerable to eating binges. Hope that helps. This is a wonderful site & will really help you reach your goals! :)
  • sunshineshardz
    Options
    BFF!!!!!! YOu can do it! I know you can. I am slowly learning to make beter food choices and to do other things when I'm having an emotional day. Like sit on the computer and read success stories :happy:

ps I 'm sorry I didn't get your email until late last night. :sad: You'll have new mail when you get back to work. :tongue:

Good luck and I hope you love this site as much as I do!!