Weightlifting for women - I'm new please help!!

Options
2»

Replies

• panzerduff
    panzerduff Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Didn't read the thread, but here's my advice...

Don't do those garbage "cardio bunny" Jamie Eason or whatever her name is full body busy mom circuits. If you truly want results, do a routine like Starting Strength or Stronglifts 5x5. They are cut to the chase, quick, simple routines and they WORK. Don't get intimidated by free weights. Machines cannot emulate movements like free weights can. Both the routines I mentioned are 3 days a week, involve only four big compound movements, require only a barbell and a squat rack. You can incorporate as much cardio in as you want into these routines as well.

LINKS:

Starting Strength;
    http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/The_Starting_Strength_Novice/Beginner_Programs

Stronglifts 5x5;
    http://www.stronglifts.com/
  • _jorge_
    _jorge_ Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    You've taken the first step by asking for help. Agree with everything said up above, just go to the gym and get started. Feel free to ask for help while you are there, everyone likes to feel like an expert. If you find free weights and the machines too intimidating, don't be afraid to rock the bodyweight exercises: push-ups, bodyweight squats, one-legged squats, pull-ups, burpees, etc. A circuit training or boot camp class might be a great way to get familiar with these type of exercises and getting your feet wet. Also check out the BodyRock channel on youtube.

Start with lower weights, lower than you think you can handle. A good guide is to do 3 to 5 sets for each muscle area, aiming for between 8 and 12 repetitions. If you can do more than 12 reps, up the weight. If you can't do 8 with good form, decrease the weight until you can.

Here are my favorites:

Chest:
    Bench Press with a BarBell
    Bench Press with 2 Dumb Bells
    One-handed iso-lateral Bench Press (One side at a time, make sure to do both sides) (You'll feel this one in your core)
    Chest Flys
    Push-ups, Push-ups with Claps, Push-overs over a medicine ball, Push-ups with a plank and scoop under from a T-position
    Dips

Back:
    Pull-ups
    Lat Pull-downs
    Good Mornings
    Back Flys

Shoulders:
    Shoulder Raises (Front, Side, and Back - twisting your palms)
    Shoulder Presses
    One-Armed Shoulder Swings from Sumo Deadlift position
    Hand-stand push-ups (advanced)

Biceps:
    DumbBell Curls
    Hammer Curls
    DB Curls to the side

Triceps:
    Overhead tricep extensions
    Tricep pull-downs
    Tricep dips

Legs:
    Squats
    Leg Press
    Lunges
    Curtsy Lunge
    Calf Raises
    Hamstring Curls
    Hamstring Curls on a Swiss Ball
    Lunges with a Twist

Abs:
    Crunches
    V-ups
    Bicycle
    Leg Raises
    Russian Twists
    Frog from P90X

Overall Body and Conditioning:
    Burpees
    Jumping Jacks
    Jump Rope
    Mountain Climbers
    Plank
    Plank Ups and Down

Ping me if you have any questions. Good Luck!
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    New Rules of Weight Lifting for Women
    Starting Strength or
    StrongLifts 5x5 (http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/560459-stronglifts-5x5-summary) <- this link has some videos.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    Dude you should just say that lifting weights is your favorite!
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    The only reason I'd prefer machines over free weights is because I don't really know what I'm doing, I find it hard to get my friends to come to the gym with me and the free weights section is full of men who will probably judge me for doing it wrong haha!

Hire a trainer for a session or 2 to show you how to do a few compound lifts.

I wanted to lift, but could not afford to hire the trainer. I watched a TON of youtube videos on how to squat, deadlift, etc...then I asked the trainer if he could spare a few minutes to check my form to make sure that I wouldn't hurt myself. he was happy to help. And every few weeks he offers to show me something new.

I spend probably 45-60 minutes in the free weight area 4x a week. I don't think I have ever gotten mistreated or looked at oddly over there. The *worst* thing that happened was that a guy misjudged how much I was capable of lifting. He was being nice and unracking his weights and when I said something about being a newbie, he thought I could only squat 40#--I smiled as I added 2x as much as he suggested :D

ETA--you say you only want to lose 10-15lbs and tone up. You might not lose that 10-15lbs, but you will LOOK like you did.
  • _jorge_
    _jorge_ Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Ha ha! It's not my favorite. Running is.:laugh:
  • Beka_Elizabeth
    Options
    Wow everyone has been so helpful! I guess my main problem is getting over the fear and just getting in there, but I suppose that's what I did the first time i stepped in a gym at all at 40lbs overweight. Exciting to start trying this! As a guide would you say about 3x a week for 30 minutes? More? Less? Also...this may sound ridiculous but what is a deadlift? I hear people talking about it all the time but i don't know what it is!
  • stephdeeable
    stephdeeable Posts: 1,407 Member
    Options
    Yesterday I just sat on the weight machines and creepily stared at two dudes using free weights hoping to absorb their knowledge through my stalking.

I'll probably just go buy The New Rules.. book though, before they put my picture up in the gym.
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    Just lift weights like a man - we all have the same muscle, we all build it in the same way. I train my other half and she looks like this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RiJYG3E-U0

Very feminine with a good level of muscle would you not agree?

Drop me a msg and I'll fire you a suggest routine plus have a website that shows you how to do everything you need :smile:
  • xsabrinalynn
    xsabrinalynn Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • extraordinary_machine
    extraordinary_machine Posts: 3,028 Member
    Options
    Deadlift intro: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MX8jgCFXYTU

Mark Rippetoe is the author of Starting Strength and he has a ton of videos on YouTube that I've used to tweak my form.
  • laddyboy
    laddyboy Posts: 1,565 Member
    Options
    Just lift weights like a man - we all have the same muscle, we all build it in the same way. I train my other half and she looks like this.

Drop me a msg and I'll fire you a suggest routine plus have a website that shows you how to do everything you need :smile:

Listen to Matt....he knows his stuff. I don't keep him around for his good looks...it's his knowledge...LOL Go Team Wild!
  • JingleMuffin
    JingleMuffin Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    The only reason I'd prefer machines over free weights is because I don't really know what I'm doing, I find it hard to get my friends to come to the gym with me and the free weights section is full of men who will probably judge me for doing it wrong haha!
    walk up to the biggest guy in there and introduce yourself ask him if he'll spot you/ give you a hand. EASY win.
  • JingleMuffin
    JingleMuffin Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    lol your making this harder than it is :)
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options

Listen to Matt....he knows his stuff. I don't keep him around for his good looks...it's his knowledge...LOL Go Team Wild!

Thanks laddyboy!
  • natini
    natini Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    New rules of lifting for women was an awesome book to help me get over the fear and walk into the weight room. The pictures and descriptions of every exercise is great. I love lifting now.