Liquid Diets.... Am I doing it wrong?

Options
Hello, everybody!

Im Ariana, and I started my liquid diet today... Im not sure if I'm doing everything right, but Im gonna try it out for about 3 or 4 days and see how my body reacts to it.

Im planning on drinking juice (sugar free), coffee (using water), tea, and water, and maybe vitamin water... But the most important thing is that I dont touch any chocolate, sweets, or any of that stuff. Im also thinking of eating a light breakfast each morning to start my system.... Any advice, guys?

Love, Ariana

Replies

• changejen2013
    Options
    WHYYYYYYYYYY?????????????????????

I have lost 5lbs in 4 days just by eating 90% CLEAN. That means cutting out processed foods and not eating fast food. Sticking to fruits and veggies for the most part and putting in chicken and polenta and some other things also.

Eat smart, not to lose weight quick. Liquid diets are only going to help you in the short term. Sure, if you want 5lbs gone by the weekend that's fine but expect to gain 10lbs next week. That's just what happens. Good luck!
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    Hello, everybody!

Im Ariana, and I started my liquid diet today... Im not sure if I'm doing everything right, but Im gonna try it out for about 3 or 4 days and see how my body reacts to it.

Im planning on drinking juice (sugar free), coffee (using water), tea, and water, and maybe vitamin water... But the most important thing is that I dont touch any chocolate, sweets, or any of that stuff. Im also thinking of eating a light breakfast each morning to start my system.... Any advice, guys?

Love, Ariana

Yes,Work out your TDEE, deduct a defict , and start eating a properly balanced diet that you can eat and sustain for the rest of your life.

There is no need to do fads, just eat normal foods, at a calorie deficit.
  • Built_Strong
    Built_Strong Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    A liquid diet consisting of only juice, coffee/tea and water? My advice. Don't do it. Not that way anyway. Liquid diets are usually reserved for super morbidly obese patients under a doctor's care and they're high protein diets.

You'll likely be tired, faint, cranky, irritable, etc...

Stick with the tired and true - watch what you eat and exercise. Eat clean, prep your own meals and enjoy the food you're eating. Nothing is worse than trying to lose weight and being miserable.

ETA: When I read your post I just wanted to give you a hug. I went through that same "quick/fad/fast diet mentality" early in my life and it got me nowhere. Well...it got me to over 350lbs.
  • algebravoodoo
    algebravoodoo Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    Ummmm... from what source do you plan on getting any real nutrition?
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    Yes, you're doing it wrong.

What are you going to do when you start eating solid foods again? Or incorprating regular treats back into your diet? You cannot reasonably expect to stay ON the liquid diet for the rest of your life and OFF all sugars for the rest of your life. If you do not learn better eating habits, the weight plus more will come back on. You'll be discouraged and upset have to go through it all over again.

Many people have had luck with replacing one meal a day with a shake and then using the rest of the day to learn how to eat. A majority of a liquid diet gives you no practice to do so.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    Please don't.

Eat a moderate deficit of good food and be patient.
  • a_mandolin_
    a_mandolin_ Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Besides what everybody else has said, what do you make coffee with, if not with water?
  • sjbuescher
    sjbuescher Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Unless your under the care of a doctor or other medical professionals, don't do it. The body is pretty amazing and will begin cleansing itself once you start properly eating and hydrating with water.

Sugar free juice is still not that great unless you're sticking to all natural and organic juices, caffeinated coffee can be dehydrating (which you would really need to avoid on a liquid diet), vitamin water still can have a lot of unnecessary sugars if you're not using it after an intense workout to hydrate.

You'll be tired, cranky, and if you see a loss on the scale it would most likely all come back once you start eating.

If you're determined to do a liquid cleanse - talk to a doctor or nutritionist so they can give you more facts about what to do, or why not to do it.
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a solid long term plan to a healthy lifestyle
  • Jscanland
    Jscanland Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    i am doing something simular, I do coffee and whey protein drink in the morning and green tea. but I have a decent dinner with my hubby, should be doing veggies at lunch and dinner.

the other thing is next week I get a colonoscopy and what you are doing sounds just like that!!! So I'd say 'dont' do it" or only do it for two meals or a couple days a week. how long are you planning this? and is it to kick off the motivation!???
  • IslandDreamer64
    IslandDreamer64 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Eat food.
  • Jscanland
    Options
    :drinker: boy have you got it right. it's soooo harddd! that is great! send ideas on meals please
  • Jscanland
    Options
    excellent advice
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    IMO... I don't think it would be very effective....and even if you did lose weight , once you went back to eating you will gain it right back....Ithink proper balanced eating would be more beneficial ...but thats just me :blushing:
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    eat right
    work hard
    rinse
    repeat
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    Hello, everybody!

Love, Ariana

You're doing it wrong.

Love, John

Here's how you do it right:
    eat right
    work hard
    rinse
    repeat
  • Barbellerella
    Barbellerella Posts: 1,838 Member
    Options
    Hello, everybody!

Love, Ariana

You're doing it wrong.

Love, John
    QFT
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    Liquid Diets.... Am I doing it wrong?

Yes.
  • Nefetete
    Nefetete Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Hello, everybody!

Love, Ariana

Yes,Work out your TDEE, deduct a defict , and start eating a properly balanced diet that you can eat and sustain for the rest of your life.

There is no need to do fads, just eat normal foods, at a calorie deficit.

^^ that, why start something you have no hope in maintaining long term. It just going to make it harder on you for no real reason.
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    Are you going to drink a light breakfast in the morning to kick start your metabolism or actually eat solid food? Because if you're eating solid food for breakfast, then you're not on a liquid diet. Just have some freshly squeezed 100% natural OJ for breakfast. Then the coffee and juice and water throughout the day and you should be well on your way to the lifestyle you're hoping for.

Happy New Year and many blessings on your journey!!!