Help! I stay hungry all day

Options
2»

Replies

• shellma00
    shellma00 Posts: 1,684 Member
    Options
    You may want to research and see if your community has a vegetable/fruit coop. Sounds silly, but our community has a coop and you get tons of Veggies/Fruits for very cheap. You get an IKEA bag filled with a variety of veggies and fruits for $21.50. They have pickup every other week. You can order the "basket" or a la carte and everything is sooo cheap compared to the grocery store.
  • lwagnitz
    lwagnitz Posts: 1,321 Member
    Options
    Bag of chips= $4
    Big mac= $4
    12 pack of soda=$4

Chicken breast= 3.50/lb
    Apples=1.5/lb
    Celery= .80/lb

I'm confused how eating healthy is expensive?

As for the being hungry thing....it would be helpful to have your diary open so we can help you better.
  • Kelly_Runs_NC
    Kelly_Runs_NC Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    chew sugarless gum too - it helps
  • MDGirlLovesFood
    MDGirlLovesFood Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    It's difficult the first week or two. I remember that from years ago. Buying in bulk from Sam's Club or Costco helps. You can get large bags of lettuce, green beans, broccoli, carrots, chicken breasts, canned tuna and other items that would be more expensive in other stores. One thing I remembered from when my sister was dieting (she lost 52 lbs), was to make clear-broth soups such as chicken rice, egg drop, or chicken noodle (thin noodles) to expand the stomach. Also drink as much water was possible throughout the day. Sometimes dehydration feels like hunger. Another tip to keep from over-eating at meals is to have a piece of whole fruit 20 minutes before a meal. My sister did really well losing weight using those tips. Our family seems to have no turn-off switch when it comes to food.
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    If you are hungry EAT MORE FOOD!!! But make sure it is healthy food like fruits veggies grains and protein and not sugar starches or fats.

there is nothing inherently unhealthy about sugar or starches or fats.

Also their sodium goal is way too high. MFP has the default setting at 2500 mg. Sodium consumption should be at 1500mg.

also nothing inherently bad with sodium, within reason -- and certainly not with 2500 mg. for most of the population, sodium doesn't even need to be tracked. go high on sodium one day? drink more water. work out. up your potassium intake. and even if you do none of that, it won't impact real weight loss.
    Just because you can get in sugary snacks and stay within your calorie goals does not mean that is a smart choice. Limit your consumption of sugar.

nothing wrong with sugar. don't live off snickers, but don't stress on it, either. unless you have a medical reason for doing so, tracking sugar isn't even really a need. track your carbs instead.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Your diary isn't open, but I'll go out on a limb and say that you're probaby having too many processed carbs. That is usually the case and surely was with me. What helped me was 1.) lowering my overall carb intake as a whole and replacing the processed carbs with fiberous carbohydrates (think fruit, veg, and whole grains); 2.) I upped my protein and healthy fat intake.

Those two things right there made the biggest difference for me. Also, you may want to re-evaluate your deficit. I went all out when I first started and was starving...I also didn't properly research what to do with exercise calories so I ended up having net calories below my BMR (Base Metobolic Rate) for about a week. This is not a good thing BTW, particularly for any lengthy period of time. You need to, at minimum, net to your BMR. BMR is the absolute bare necesity calories your body needs to perform the most basic functions; eating below this level can cause metabolic stall, amongst other things. Long term it can cause some major damage to your body.

From my time here on MFP it is evident that slow and low is the way to go for sustained loss and weight control. Just keep that in mind...this isn't a sprint, it's a marathon.

In RE to "healthy" foods...what exactly do you mean here? Are you buying pre-packaged "health" foods? This isn't necessary at all. In fact, I cook much the same as I always have, I just measure everything now and watch my portions to maintain my calorie goals. I also did add more fruits and veg to my diet and replaced my white breads, white rice, etc with whole grain alternatives...these really aren't any more expensive than what I was doing before.

Good food doesn't have to be expensive. Frozen vegetables are a great alternative to fresh and in fact, retain more nutrients. You can keep them around longer frozen too and are often cheaper than fresh. Whole grains aren't any more expensive than their heavily processed alternatives.
  • cbrrabbit25
    cbrrabbit25 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Frozen veggies! your plate should be half full of veggies and the frozen ones are quick and inexpensive usually. just try to get the ones that have no added sauces, sugars, etc. if you buy them frozen, they use a special process to freeze them so that they hold in all of their nutrients.
  • rustyguy
    rustyguy Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Keep lots of veggies on hand. Quantity is needed to keep yourself feeling full and you can eat all the vegetables you want. Stuff yourself with carrots, celery, peppers etc...until you feel full. I do a prep where I have baggies full of veggies in the fridge for snacking and I take them to work with me.
  • Djbass728
    Djbass728 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I have been at this about five weeks and not only am I excercising more but I am also less hungry each day - it only took about a week for the cravings/hunger to pass. I tried to make the most healthy choices I could and didn't beat myself up. Many days I went over - I just tried to excercise a little more that night.

Also when I first started my food needs shifted - I was ravenous during the day - so I ate to satiate that feeling - worried that at supper my calories would put me way over - only to find out I wasn't hungry @ dinner time and a snack did just fine.

I find if I excercise heavy in the evening it kills my appetite and other than making sure I down some protein (handful of peanuts or almonds) I often find myself skipping dinner.

Stick with it - you will find that as you focus on movement (exercise) your body will crave healthier foods.

Feel free to add me, encouragement helps SO much!!!!!

You can do this - YOU are worth this effort!!!!!!!!!!
  • MDGirlLovesFood
    MDGirlLovesFood Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I have found that 2 packets of instant oatmeal mixed with a tablespoon of peanut butter (300 calories) will satisfy my huge appetite for 3 to 4 hours. Also, hard-boiled egg whites and clear brothnsoups help.