1200 cal diet

armymil
armymil Posts: 163 Member
edited September 20 in Health and Weight Loss
Myfitnesspal says I can eat a little over 2000 cal per day. I have submitted my requests early for my food logging and sometimes I get the message that I need at least 1200 cal a day. This was interesting to me. I read a thread from 2008 that mentions that you must eat 1200 cal a day otherwise your body goes into starvation mode here on myfitnesspal.com. It was about the lady eating 700 cal a day and not losing weight.

However, what if someone eating around 2000 cal a day starts eating 1200 cal. Besides the obvious of willpower, will my metabolism be shot? Is it unhealthy to do so?

I just wondered this.

Replies

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,294 Member
    I should be okay, but I would slowly lower your caloric intake, by 200 to 300/day per week, so week 1 1700/day, week 2 1400/day and week 2 1200/day.
  • thirtyby40
    thirtyby40 Posts: 702 Member
    How many calories do you estimate you were eating before starting MFP?? From personal experience I was eating far less than what they allowed, and when I upped my intake to what was suggested I did start losing weight.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,342 Member
    Okay, everyone! She has 72 pounds to lose! Please eat the MFP recommended amount of calories. Here, try reading these:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/8977-your-body-s-thoughts-on-calories

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/6159-this-1200-calorie-thing-is-driving-me-up-a-wall

....if you read ALL the sticky posts at the top of "General Weight Loss", you will understand.
  • armymil
    I am a he, not a she. :)

I am going to review the articles.

Also, to answer the previous question, I was binge eating too many big meals. I cut back on a lot. I would guess 3000-4000 cal days. I was gaining about 10 lbs per year. I am 25. Don't get how i was doing that, but I know i was eating too much.

1. I was eating cause I was bored.
    2. I was eating to finish a meal. I have got to a point where I can say I am full and am not pushing any more food in.

With MFP, I lost close to 20 lbs. Once I started to work out, I haven't been losing as much weight. Slowly but surely I am getting there.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,342 Member
    I am a he, not a she. :)

oops, sorry:blushing:

I read "amy-mil" it is "army-mil"........:flowerforyou: (boys get flowers too.....)
  • armymil
    :) It is all good.

I think the smart thing to do is stay consistent to the cal limit per MFP as someone said on here. I have noticed my stomach has shrunk since I start the diet in January. I can't seem to eat as much food in my stomach as I use to. If someone comes across this in the future, I think the best thing to do is to stop when your body says you are full. I think that is what is helping me.
This discussion has been closed.