Just started Insanity...

Options
Hey there!!
I've just started the journey of doing the Insanity challenge. I haven't really worked out before so after doing day #3, I'm extremely sore in my calves. does anyone have any advice for me since I'm just starting to work out? Any tips would be greatly appreciated!!! Thanks! :)

Replies

• lstok873
    lstok873 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I just finished month one, and am in the recovery week. Honestly, my calves burned every day the entire month. I just pushed through and took rests when I needed to. And I did workout prior to this workout! Maybe use an ointment (biofreeze/etc) if yiu really need relief. i'm breastfeeding, so I avoid topical creams. Good luck!!!
  • MrsSchaub
    MrsSchaub Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I've done Insanity all the way through once, took a break to concentrate on lifting for about 8 months and I'm starting insanity again (on week 3) and my calves are ALWAYS sore. The best advice I have is to stretch your calves often and if you get a calf roller of sorts, the foam ones are my favorite (http://www.runnersworld.com/running-tips/roll?page=single), it works wonders! Just be careful as tight calves can lead to shin splints with impact. Keep up the good work and enjoy knowing your calves are going to look awesome by the end of the challenge.
  • sixpackdream
    sixpackdream Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I love Insanity, when I finish the workout.

Go slow at the begining, do a workout every second day and take breaks whenever you are tired. Give yourself a month or two for your body to adjust. I do it twice a year, I do other sports in between, and when I get back to it I still always give myself a month to get used to it. Then I do it from the beginning as per the schedule.

Since it is a new type of workout for you, you will benefit just as much if you rest every second day. The people in the video are already in top shape so it's okay to "catch up" to them.

I have the same calve soreness so I pause the workout at the stretching sections and add calve stretches. Stand close to a wall facing it and put your heel on the floor and toes on the wall and stretch your calve, I feel like they neglect this stretch.

It's awesome that you are doing it, you WILL see results!
  • HokeyPokey2
    HokeyPokey2 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    In my first round of insanity, I had major shin splints. Be sure to do the stretches. Also, deep side lunges (like a deep squat with one leg out to the side) helped. Also, before your workout, you can walk on your tippy toes and then heels for a few minutes. I am halfway through my second round of insanity. I am always looking for inspirational/insanity buddies. Feel free to add me. :)