elipticol rider

I just did 45 minutes on the elipticol and exercise data base says 505 calories burned.....does that number sound a little high?

Replies

• NewMnky1
    NewMnky1 Posts: 264
    Many things to consider. Each machine is different, so that can play a role. It also depends on the speed you were doing it at an dif you had any incline.
    I do 30mins on mine and it is typically around 370 calories burned. That is at a spead of 5.0-5.2 KPH and an incline of 11.
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Impossible to answer because it will depend on your speed, the intensity setting you chose, your fitness level (how fast your heart pumped during the time), and your size (height and weight).
  • jcoco
    jcoco Posts: 138 Member
    Purchase a heart rate monitor. It is a great device to measure how hard you are working and how many calories you burn. The readings on machines can be off by 30%. I have the polar F4 it has the basics and has been working for over 5 yrs with no problems.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    There are so many variables as others have said. In my experience, most machines overestimate by about 30% so maybe log it as 350 instead to be safe.
  • selenametts
    selenametts Posts: 42 Member
    My at home elliptical's counter over estimated calorie burn significantly. Once I got a heart rate monitor (Polar FT4) it showed almost half the calorie burn as the counter did. I recommend a HRM for accurate numbers.
  • lovemykids58
    lovemykids58 Posts: 195 Member
    I have a body media fit. I wear it all day and it tells me how many cals I burn. It links with MFP which is an awesome feature!
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    I think the machines tend to read a little high but without knowing resistance level, your weight, age, speed it's tough to tell.

I'm 6'3, 290lbs and yesterday I did 30 minutes on elliptical at about a 9 resistance level and burned 452 calories in about 2.05 miles.