What are your reasons?

Options
I've been struggling with my weight for a few years. I've been on-again, off-again with this site for about a year and a half (I can't remember exactly when I joined). When I started my reasons for losing weight were pretty much all superficial. I wanted to look better in my clothes, get out of the double digit sizes, be able to wear a bikini with confidence. There is absolutely NOTHING wrong with wanting those things or having them be the reasons you want to lose weight. But it didn't work for me. I'd stick with it for a couple of weeks and then be like: "Okay, ya know, I don't look THAT bad. I'll just try to be happier with myself rather than try to change, which is WAAAAY too much work."

Well here I am again. But this time is different. I can feel it. And you know why? I recently made the decision to actually starting taking care of myself. Not to lose weight. But to be HEALTHY. To care more about how I present myself to others, not necessarily about fitting into a certain size or weighing a certain amount. My goal is to take care of myself as a whole. To fix my hair in the morning (rather than just wearing a ponytail every day-which I have been doing for about 3 years now...). To do my nails once a week. To shave my legs (well... maybe not every day but more than I have been... :wink:) To eat well and exercise.

Now when I consider drinking a soda or eating something that I KNOW is bad for me, I ask myself: Is this a good decision? Is this GOOD for me? Is this taking care of me, or is it hurting?

Obviously I still have a way to go. But I've already lost a few pounds and I just made this decision on Monday.

I'm excited to be taking care of myself for once, rather than just getting by with doing what is absolutely necessary.

So what are your reasons??? Are they working for you?

Replies

• simona1972
    simona1972 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    My number one reason is my health. The last time I saw my doctor - just last month, he said to me that if I didnt change my lifestyle I would end up diabetic. Diabetes runs in my family and my mom died when she was only 61. She's missing SO much not being here with us [new grandson in the family, the grandkids growing up, my dad's retirement years, our new doggie etc...] and I didnt want to end up the same way.

Ive spent my entire life taking care of everyone around me and now it's time for me to take care of me.

It's working so far. I have the will and determination to do this and do it right.

My secondary reason is purely for vanity. In my mind I have an image of how I want my body to be and I know with hard work I can achieve it. For my 40th birthday Im planning a trip to Disneyworld in Florida and I really want to be able to wear a bathing suit or something sleeveless and be comfortable.
  • kicklikeaGIRL
    kicklikeaGIRL Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    Way to decide that you want to be healthy! I know that for me some of my reasons were to look good in my clothes again...but it wasn't necessarily about looking good for other people...it was more about feeling good about myself and being confident again. There is something about exercise and eating well that makes a huge difference in self-confidence. I walk a little taller now, knowing that I feel good. And I really think others can see that difference. Before I was always anxious to talk to people and approach people, but now I am confident and my body is strong. Its such a great feeling!

Another reason I would say is that I want to be a healthy mom who can set an example for her children. I want to have a healthy heart to be able to live an active life with my children and not only watch them do fun things, but to do fun things with them.

Making this a lifestyle change has been so beneficial for me in the long run. I haven't had to make any major changes, but small changes make miracles happen! Good luck to you!
  • LongMom
    LongMom Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    When I was 22 I joined Weight Watchers because I "wanted to look good" - and it worked for me! I lost 52 lbs in 52 weeks and became a Lifetime Member :)

Now, almost 10 years later, things have drastically changed for me :) I now have two beautiful young daughters and a hubby. I really don't give a poop what people think about my looks anymore....I really don't care what people think about me PERIOD anymore hahahaha. It's now all about what I want in life for myself.

What I want, is to be healthy and happy. Healthy = energy and I have been lacking energy for a while now. I also have been having some health issues, like getting chest colds a lot, hurting my legs because of all the walking I now do etc. and being sick SUCKS!

So I luckily found MFP - well my BFF did and told me about it - and voila, here I am! It has all the components that helped me succeed last time and thanks to the pregression of technology - I find it easier to do than Weight Watchers was - back then (can't speak about it today). I definately need accountability and reward and MFP is great for that! Sure it's not a sticker or ribbon like in my WW meetings, but I have evolved into a social networking fan (Facebook, LinkedIn) and posting my losses, getting the kudos from friends, is proving to be just as effective for me :)
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options
    i understand what you mean. this year one of my new year's resolutions was to daily wear a moisturizer on my face (with spf too!), wear mascara every day that i left the house, and to clean my face every night before bed. it is important to take care of yourself! you can do it! :)
    dawn
  • PaulaDygert
    PaulaDygert Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Good for you!!! Honestly when I first started losing weight I had the same superficial reasons because I was really struggling with some personal issues. That was in November 2009. In the last month or so I have really been thinking about it and those are not my true reasons those are the worlds reasons. I have come to the conclusion that some of my true reasons are... God has given me this body to use here on Earth and when I invited Him into my heart it became His temple. I need to take good care of His temple and this beautiful gift He has given me... I am a mother and caregiver I want to set a good example to the children and be able to enjoy the trip to the park, zoo, pool, ect... I want to live a long healthy life... I am sure I will discover more and more as I walk along this journey. Thank you for sharing. Good luck with the right reasons and motivation you can do it!
  • drvvork
    drvvork Posts: 1,162
    Options
    :smile: I know this is going to sound morbid... I'm sorry but it is a reality... but the truth of the matter is I want "quality of life not quantity" at my age I'm not looking to live forever nor do I want to - I cared for my mother until she passed at the age of 89. She was in severe pain with arthritis, obese, diabetic and found out toward the end she had cancer too. And then there is the 2nd 'real' reason... I want to donate my body to science for whatever parts they can use and then what they can't - maybe some school can learn. One of the few criteria they will not accept is a concern for me and that is obesity. They will not accept my donation if I'm obese, have HIV/AIDS, tuberculosis, Hepititis, or have been incarcerated... I'm good on all but the obesity... I will be a 'fit' donar. *shrug*... My father always said I thought with my heart - Not my head... and this is where I am and these are my motivators... sorry if I brought anyone down, as I know there are many that do not wish to think of these things. :flowerforyou:
  • gym_rat
    Options
    My reasons...

My husband is active duty in the army and I hate to say it but I see a lot of army wives that have let themselves go. I just don't want to be part of that. He's over in Iraq serving his country and staying fit so I feel like part of my responsibility is to do the same.

Clothes. I love shopping and want to fit into cute clothes without worrying about if my butt looks too big, etc.

Health. I don't want to be 40 and still trying to lose weight.
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    Mainly, I want to be comfortable. Comfortable in my body, in front of people, in life, in clothes, etc. Secondly, I want to be free to do what I want to do without wondering if I'll fit, if I'm too heavy or if too many people will stare.

Oh, lastly, I'm just beyond TIRED of being fat and being controlled by food. I'm over it, as they say. :)
  • Fieldsy
    Fieldsy Posts: 1,105 Member
    Options
    to look and feel good
  • littlesuzieq
    Options
    I'm not going to lie - I want to look good. I want to feel good about how I look. I'm not asking for a 20-year old bikini body... I just want to be able to purchase clothes in ANY store and look good wearing them. I want my kids to be proud to say that I'm their mom and my husband to drool every time he looks at me. (Well, maybe not EVERY time :laugh: )

But, I want to be healthy too. My doctor scared the daylights out of me by mentioning blood pressure medication at my last visit. All I have to do is lose weight. Easy enough, right? Nope. This is a tough lifestyle change for me but it is proving to be SO worth it.

I love the little changes that have happened. I can zip my leather jacket without shifting the girls. I fit into a smaller size pair of jeans today. People are noticing the changes. I'm excited to continue the journey. Did you hear that? Excited!
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options
    <<snip>>Oh, lastly, I'm just beyond TIRED of being fat and being controlled by food. I'm over it, as they say. :)
    Well said Brenda,,, same here.

That, and when they assigned my *kitten* a zip code. That didn't help. :laugh:
  • littlesuzieq
    Options

OMGosh!!! That's just too funny right there!
  • aerome
    aerome Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

[/quote]

Ha! Hilarious. :tongue:

Thanks for sharing all of your reasons! Also, I guess I should have mentioned--I still want to look good in my clothes and a bikini. But it's not my main reason for working so hard. It's just a bonus! :happy:
  • Callmefia
    Options
    I've been with my boyfriend for almost 2 years. I want to look HOTTTT in a wedding dress when we get married :-)
    Thats my #1 motivator. I watch "Say Yes to the Dress" a lot on TLC!

I also was scared when my dad was told he was pre-diabetic! yikes! I don't want to become diabetic, and I want to take care of my body better than my dad and his family did! They all have heart problems and high blood pressure. (Had my physical in December and all checked out well for me though!!!)

It has been working for me fairly well, even though I haven't dropped too many pounds this far. I started in September, I let myself go for December and a good part of February too, but trying to get back on track with MFP now.
  • EmilyStrick
    Options
    i def have vain reasons for losing weight. DEFINITELY!!!! but, beyond that....i don't want to be on high blood pressure medication anymore, and i live in tucson, az.....the hottest f'n place ever...and i don't want to spend my summers uncomfortable anymore!!! i was like you...trying to be ok with myself and thinking that i had to do that before i could lose weight, but the only reason i wasn't ok with myself is because i was overweight. 13 pounds down and 24 to go and i am feeling halfway to a million bucks!!! congrats on your decisions...WE CAN DO IT!!!
  • mhotch
    mhotch Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    To be able to zip my jeans with out lying down on the bed!

Seriously, my father died when he was 57, while I was pregnant with my first child , his first grandchild. My kids have been robbed of knowing the greatest man I know! I want to be able to be a presence in my grandchildren lives. {now if I can just get my son a girlfriend!!!}
  • kicklikeaGIRL
    kicklikeaGIRL Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    <<snip>>Oh, lastly, I'm just beyond TIRED of being fat and being controlled by food. I'm over it, as they say. :)
    Well said Brenda,,, same here.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Oh my word Casper....you are on a roll today!! I am dying over here...haha
  • Hopey1994
    Options
    I'm tired of feeling sorry for myself and thinking I'm not worth it. I have a toddler and like playing with her, and I just coulnd't do that like I wanted to. Plus, with my husband in Iraq, I have time to focus on me and when he sees me I want him to not quite recognize me!! :)
  • FireRox21
    FireRox21 Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    I too, started this journey with vanity being the number one reason. But, then it hit me. I spent my 20's carefree and trashing my body, never thinking of the outcome. Then I hit 30 and my highest weight I'd ever been in my life. I knew things HAD to change. My mother is very obese and when I had to start going to the stores she goes to to buy clothes I knew it was time. My RA was getting out of control, my joints were hurting increasingly worse, and I was getting sick a lot. I also have begun to pray much more. One saying that always sticks in my mind that my Grandma always says is "The Good Lord helps those that help themselves". So, I decided that I will walk with Him, and with his Grace will help myself. It has not been an easy journey by any means; I have been discouraged numerous times, but I keep going.

Basically, I want to be as healthy as I can be while fighting a serious, degenerative joint disease that will most likely end my life early. I want to be healthy enough to enjoy everyday that I have.

Oh, and I want to look good in my jeans and not be super self-concsious if and when I head to the beach!
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    The way I feel about myself is directly tied to my confidence. I want my confidence back in a big way.
    and my two daughters. I had a "fatty" mommy and was forever embarrassed by her. I don't want to be an embarrassment to my daughters! Also, by working my tail off in front of them, they are learning the importance of exercise. They love to use the "treadmilk" after me - they do jumping jacks along with me, and when I do HIIT Skipping, my oldest daughter is so impressed that her mommy is a great skipper.