training for ultra marathon

Options
2»

Replies

• wolfgate
    wolfgate Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Good luck! You've already gotten great training advice - back to back training runs, etc. I did two 50 milers, both trail though not particularly rugged. Just a few other thoughts.

Dont' be afraid to walk given the terrain and your other long races have been on the road. In fact expect to. Plan to. It will not be your marathon time plus the same pace for 5 more miles. The amount of time you spend will be significantly more than the marathon.

Practice learning what you can eat. Based on time increase alone, it will be good if you can learn to handle solid food. I seriously found that peanut butter and jelly sandwiches worked for me in the 50 milers (but I have an iron stomach also). Other people can't handle that much substance and had to use a "lighter" strategy, but either way nutrition day of race is going to be a big factor. Play with it during your long run.

Good luck! In enjoyed my 50 milers. In the end I've moved away from ultras because my schedule is too busy to train properly and I also found I took about 6 weeks to recover. Sure, a 50k would have been less, and others recover faster. Either way, it's a fun accomplishment to do an ultra.