SlimFast- does it actually work?

Options
So on an impulse, I bought one of those containers of SlimFast powder (they were on sale for New Years dieters I guess.) Has anyone had good results using their 3-2-1 plan? I just tried the stuff, it's...not awful. I could work with this.

On the flip side, has anyone had really bad experiences with it? I'd think you'd get really hungry using it, since it's just milk and powder, which might lead people to over eat later.

*Oh, and a 2nd note, I already know how to eat a balanced, healthy real food diet and that's not at all hard for me to follow- it's more a matter of money and time saved with the powder.

Replies

• Crystal_Pistol
    Crystal_Pistol Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    It's just calorie control. Find out the calorie amount in a serving of powder and milk, find a meal of equivalent caloric value, BOOM- save money, avoid hunger.

If you're hell bent on shakes, go for a protein shake. It will likely be much more filling.

I tried Slim Fast once. I was hungry for a few days, and then I puked. Trial over.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    Personally I'd rather eat food.
  • peckish_pomegranate
    peckish_pomegranate Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Oh, and a 2nd note, I already know how to eat a balanced, healthy diet- it's more a matter of money and time saved with the powder, which is why I'm hoping it'll work for me.
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    SAme with me!! I was starving and it mad me sick..that was years ago, never tried again
  • lacurandera1
    lacurandera1 Posts: 8,083 Member
    Options
    Ha!
  • Topher1978
    Topher1978 Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    Eating at a calorie deficit will make you lose weight. If this is how you want to cut your calories, sure it'll work.
  • jconnors2012
    jconnors2012 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    its full of sugar!
  • amytag
    amytag Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I used the Slim-Fast shakes for breakfast when I started on my weight loss - I used the pre-mixed protein shakes and they were satisfying and helped me learn to control calories. I've since switched over to more foods than shakes, but they were effective for me when I was new to this.
  • Freidon
    Freidon Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Never tried it myself, but I know two different people who both experienced diarrhea problems with it. I don't think it's a bad idea for every once in a while, but I wouldn't use it several days in a row.
  • daj150
    daj150 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    Slim Fast is really useful if you have major portion control issues. For example, I had been bed-ridden for over 9 months from an accident. During that time I kind of lost of my eating controls and gained a lot of weight. Then I lost some for a trip I went on, only to gain even more afterwards. When I finally decided to get my act together, I went to Slim Fast. I followed their recommended plans (lots to choose from) and it really helped me get back to training my brain on portion control. However, after a couple of months, my brain was trained and I was insanely starving. So, I did what was already mentioned...I found meals with equivalent calories and then I had a healthy, sustainable solution.
  • angiechimpanzee
    angiechimpanzee Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    It's a 1,200 calorie diet, achieved through sugary & artificial shakes and snacks. Yeah, it works. But you could easily & more enjoyably make your own customized 1,200 calorie meal plan and stick to that. I guarantee you'd get the same results.
  • Nerdy_Rose
    Nerdy_Rose Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    I used to eat slim fast when I was too poor to buy food. They had 'em cheap at the gas station. I was really skinny back then, too.
  • denezy
    denezy Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    An all-liquid diet makes me hungry
  • jennfranklin
    jennfranklin Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Yes it does work.. But seriously, anything can work as long as there is a calorie defecit! I would rather eat real food, But in a hurry they are not so bad! But a little high in sugar!
  • melduf
    melduf Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Slim-fast contains artificial fructose which can increase your appetite.
  • HeiWol87
    Options
    I did it for a while, i had the premixed shakes, they were much nicer. I kidded myself that they were filling etc, however, I would be starving hungry after an hr and all I could think about was food. There are about 230 cals in each. you could have a slice of toast and egg in the morning for 200 cals and a chicken salad wrap for about 250cals for lunch. Much more satisfying and healthier
  • Tat2dDom0105
    Options
    "Hey, have ya tried that Slim Fast shake?? It goes great with nachos!" - Comedian John Pinette
  • Cheryl1018
    Options
    I used to once for a quick weight loss. I replaced 2 meals with the shakes. For long term weight loss I think its best to learn proper nutrition and exercise and stick with that. I took a nutrition class and the instructor did not recommend any of the pre-packaged plans because it does not teach you anything about preparing your own nutritious meals.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    I lost 12lbs on it in like a monthish. It was quite horrible though because you don't eat food two meals a day and it's full of sugar so you get hungry. It's no way to live. Maybe if you have it to replace one meal a day it's more sustainable but I can't have it anymore since I finally decided I shouldn't have milk anymore because it makes me sick. I'm also vegan now and slimfast isn't vegan. But like I said...it's in no way healthy, but if if healthy isn't your intention, then yes it works for quick weight loss.
  • souperficial
    souperficial Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Since you said it's a money and time thing, I'd say go for it as a meal every now and then. I wouldn't drink it every day, because that could get really repetitive. My dad's on the road a lot, and he'll mix up one of the shakes on days where he doesn't have time to eat lunch.