Exercise and Calories...

Options
I was a little confused about this because I've read several different responses. I'm on a 1200 calorie diet...say I'm at 1400, but walk and exercise to burn off those extra 200 cals..is that ok?
Or say I'm at 1200 cals and I go exercise and burn off 100...do I need to eat something to get back those 100 cals that I burned off or is it ok to be 1-200 calories under after exercising?

Replies

• fuegobonito
    Options
    I'm not even sure I agree with the calorie ranges for this app. It has me on a 1700 calorie diet. I could never eat 1700 calories a day! I'd die! In theory though if you are on a 1200 calorie diet and you burn 200 you are supposed to eat 200 more calories to meet your goal.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    You should not go below 1200 net calories. Which means if MFP has you set at 1200 and you burn 200 you should eat all 1400 or come close to it anyway.
  • firegirlred
    firegirlred Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    MFP is just a guide to help you lose weight in a healthy way. Your caloric recommendations are set for you personally. The 1200 minimum is a limit to keep you from dieting in an unhealthy way.

Ultimately, you want to eat enough calories after exercising to remain above 1200 calories.
  • tasha30
    tasha30 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Are you updating your Exercise on the Exercise tab? It usually fills in the calories for you in your food diary.
  • kristen6828
    Options
    TASHA:
    I am, but I wasn't sure if I needed to make up those calories after exercising or if it was ok to stay under. Like if I was already at 1200 calories and then exercised and burned off 200 that would put me at only 1000 calories so should I eat more to put me back at 1200 after exercising?
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    I'm not even sure I agree with the calorie ranges for this app. It has me on a 1700 calorie diet. I could never eat 1700 calories a day! I'd die! In theory though if you are on a 1200 calorie diet and you burn 200 you are supposed to eat 200 more calories to meet your goal.

It works.