Body Fat %

Jerzeebabie04
Jerzeebabie04 Posts: 272
edited September 20 in Health and Weight Loss
How do you determine you body fat percentage? I know they have those different tools you can use, like the one where you pinch your body fat. But I just want something easy that I can use as an estimate of body fat percentage.

Replies

• kjensen15
    kjensen15 Posts: 398 Member
    http://www.changingshape.com/resources/calculators/body-fat-calculator.asp

There are several websites that you enter in some measurements and it will give you an estimated body fat percentage. I have posted one link above. This way is not going to be very accurate b/c taking measurements doesn't really distiguish between lean mass and fat.
  • lvfunandfit
    lvfunandfit Posts: 654 Member
    There are electronic scales that you can buy that give you an estimate.
  • savvystephy
    savvystephy Posts: 4,151 Member
    I use http://www.linear-software.com/online.html to keep track of my body fat. The key is to just keep doing the same method to determine it. It may be off, but you will have a better idea of your body fat when you use the same method.
  • Thanks! I think I'll use those sites until I can buy the scale
  • kandyjo
    kandyjo Posts: 4,493 Member
    I've heard that the most accurate way is the water displacement method... Which you have to go and have done by someone certified...
  • savvystephy
    Thanks! I think I'll use those sites until I can buy the scale

From my understanding the scales aren't the best for determining. I would save your money and just use the tape measure method. Just be consistent because taking the measure from the tape measure method and then comparing it to the scale wouldn't necessarily be accurate for a change in body fat. :smile: I hope I make sense to you. :tongue: Just my opinion though. :wink:

If you wanted a real accurate measure, then Hydrostatic Testing would be your answer most likely.
  • savvystephy
    I've heard that the most accurate way is the water displacement method... Which you have to go and have done by someone certified...

Yeah, that is basically what Hydrostatic Testing is. :tongue: If you just want to track your body fat and changes as you lose weight, etc, then the other measures are fine as long as you use the same method. But for a real accurate measure, you would have to go with Hydrostatic Testing with a paid professional.
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 22,035 Member
    I have one of the scales, and it is EXTREMELY inaccurate on the body fat percentage. It's great for weight, though!
  • lvfunandfit
    lvfunandfit Posts: 654 Member
    I have one of the scales, and it is EXTREMELY inaccurate on the body fat percentage. It's great for weight, though!

Yes, They are inaccurate, but at least it's something to keep track of change. I still think you need to see a trainer to have the skin fold test done.
This discussion has been closed.