Muscles Retaining Water

Jerzeebabie04
Jerzeebabie04 Posts: 272
edited September 20 in Fitness and Exercise
Well I was losing weight when I wasn't exercising. But now I started exercing, a lot more. Strength training & cardio. I haven't lost anything in 2 weeks, so maybe my muscles are retaining water? What can I do to change that?

Replies

• kandyjo
    kandyjo Posts: 4,493 Member
    Maybe you are building muscle!!! I would give it a week or so and I bet you will start seeing some major losses!!
  • courtney_love2001
    courtney_love2001 Posts: 1,468 Member
    Take a day off. i find that when I do that after busting my butt at the gym, I lose. Your hard work will pay off!
  • drvvork
    drvvork Posts: 1,162
    Are you measuring? You are more than likely building muscle (remember, it weighs more than fat) and so your losses will show in your measurements instead of on the scales. :flowerforyou:
  • Don't give up! Keep it going! I had a two week lull after I started really working out. Idk what it was but I was losing inches instead of pounds. Then more weight started falling off. It's hard, but really think about how you are feeling and how your clothes fit.
  • whyflysouth
    whyflysouth Posts: 308 Member
    Actually y'know I'd assume its more likely your muscles are retaining water than you are "building" muscle. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I remember hearing that it actually takes more time to build muscle than to lose fat, so it's less likely that you can build up a pound of actual muscle in a week.
  • taryn_perry
    taryn_perry Posts: 193 Member
    WhyflySouth is right. Your body takes longer to build muscle, which ultimately burns fat. We want muscle to burn more fat and keep our metabolism revved up. Problem is, when you start a new program or regime, water rushes to those muscles to replenish them, hence a slight weight gain. Here's a great article, that was originally written by Chalene Johnson (creator of Turbo Jams and ChaLEAN Extreme). This may answer some questions: http://choose2befit.com/2009/09/11/why-you-gain-weight-with-a-new-program/

Good luck. But yes, don't give up. Give it by week 3 and you'll like see some major transformation. Important thing to remember, is don't go by what the scale says. Go by how you feel and how your clothes fit. That's the trust test of success! :)
  • Actually y'know I'd assume its more likely your muscles are retaining water than you are "building" muscle. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I remember hearing that it actually takes more time to build muscle than to lose fat, so it's less likely that you can build up a pound of actual muscle in a week.

Yes I think it is that they are retaining water also. But isn't there ANY way to stop that? When your body retains water it seems we find ways to prevent that, but what about when muscles retain water? Is there nothing we can do to stop that?
  • WhyflySouth is right. Your body takes longer to build muscle, which ultimately burns fat. We want muscle to burn more fat and keep our metabolism revved up. Problem is, when you start a new program or regime, water rushes to those muscles to replenish them, hence a slight weight gain. Here's a great article, that was originally written by Chalene Johnson (creator of Turbo Jams and ChaLEAN Extreme). This may answer some questions: http://choose2befit.com/2009/09/11/why-you-gain-weight-with-a-new-program/

Good luck. But yes, don't give up. Give it by week 3 and you'll like see some major transformation. Important thing to remember, is don't go by what the scale says. Go by how you feel and how your clothes fit. That's the trust test of success! :)

Thank you! That is a very helpful article!
  • MercuryBlue
    MercuryBlue Posts: 886 Member
    When you first start up an exercise routine, your muscles become 'shocked' and retain water. It goes away after a little bit.

I discovered this unpleasant reality about two months ago, lol. And yes, read EVERYTHING I COULD about water retention afterwards. Drink lots of water, it will help.
  • iRun4wine
    iRun4wine Posts: 5,126
    Just wanted to say thanks to choose2befit for the article... made me feel much better! :smile:
  • Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    A lot of changes are going to be happening inside your body while you are lifting but it will take anywhere from 4-6 weeks for those changes to show up on the outside. Keep it up!!! Remember, we want to keep the muscle and get rid of the fat.
This discussion has been closed.