Clean Eating

Options
I have been on MFP for about 3 months and try to log my food accurately. I started doing Jillian Michaels 30 day shred with it and have lost allot of cm's but not allot of weight. Have been away on holiday for two weeks and want to get back to basics from Monday. I see allot of people talking that clean eating helps allot. Any advice on that please as I want to tone but also loose weight.

Replies

• sometimes_blondie
    Options
    I try to eat the foods as close to their natural state as possible. Cut out as much sugar and processed bread and carbs. No soda or juice, just water or coconut milk for me.
  • krstfolo
    Options
    Take a look at 100 Days of Real Food for some good ideas and recipes. It is an excellent blog on clean eating and she provides meal plans as well.
  • DenyseMarieL
    DenyseMarieL Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    I, too, try to stay away from processed foods. Just by doing that I've eliminated alot of salt and sugar which can lead to weight gain or bloat. Fresh or frozen, not canned or boxed, is my motto.
  • zaph0d
    zaph0d Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    So you would rather your cm's stay the same, but weight goes down? :noway:
  • smruggles
    smruggles Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Take a look at 100 Days of Real Food for some good ideas and recipes. It is an excellent blog on clean eating and she provides meal plans as well.

Thanks for the tip!!! I'm checking out her blog now!
  • Bobby__Clerici
    Bobby__Clerici Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    If man makes it, don't eat it.
    That's my ideal in defining "clean eating. And I try to eat that way 75% of the time.
    That's lean meats, fresh fruits and veggies, nuts, real dairy and whole grains.
    Simple.
    You must decide what is right for you.
    Good Luck :flowerforyou:
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    Im sure people will differ in what they consider 'clean' food to be, but for me it means foods that have been made at home, from scratch using all-natural ingredients. I have started to eliminate canned soups, pasta sauces and even bread now in favour of home made equivalents made from fresh vegetables and natural seasonings. Im not sure if anyone can say they eat 100% ' clean' with all the junk food companies inject into everything, but hey ho..thats my take on it.

good on you for beasting out the 30 day shred..thats a serious workout!
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    cm loss > scale loss
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    Weight is influenced by so many things. The fact that you are losing size is the important thing.

Eating foods with sodium, TOM or even standing on the scale differently can affect what it says. Also, starting any new exercise program will have your muscles storing lots of water to repair themselves.

Eat mostly whole foods and don't fret too much if you decide to have a bit of junk. It's the over all progression that counts, not one single day or meal. Keep up the good work!
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    If you have lost inches you have 'toned', maybe you can't see the muscle because you still have a layer of fat. Have your bodyfat measured instead of being sad about the scale, you are losing fat if you are losing size but not weight.
  • poedunk65
    poedunk65 Posts: 1,336 Member
    Options
    3 words, Forks over knives, read or watch the movie.
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    ALOT2.png
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Getting smaller is the *real* goal because that means you are burning fat. For 30DS, your weight on the scale doesn't always match your fat loss because of water retention.

Eating clean is meaningless phrase.
  • oxidation1
    oxidation1 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Eating clean can be a lot of things, depends how "clean" you want to get. In my case its not as much about loosing weight as it is with loosing weight and gaining good health. So for me my "clean eating" is down to a whole foods plant based diet. The ideal diet is a long time debate. Meat Vs Plant. From the research i have done i am convinced the plant based is the way to go. No meats, no pesticides. No GMO's. If truly interested in good health 4 good movies to watch are

Food Matters
    Food INC
    Forks Over Knives
    Hungry For Change

Also remember weight lose is not only food based battle. If you are stressed, your body with go into survival mode and pack on pounds. Lack of sleep, self loathing, depression can all have the same affect.

You can (and i did) loose weight eating meat. I lost 60lbs doing it. Back then "clean" was skinless grilled chicken only. Limited wheat bread. And the rest min. possessed veggies and foods as well as calorie counting. To loose weight you generally want to use your body weight x 10, or (your body weight x 12) - 500, for your daily caloric intake.

I have also found breaking up meals works amazingly. Lets say your daily intake is 1800 calories. Instead of 3 meals of 600 calories, 6 meals a day or 300 would burn more weight because you are not spiking your blood sugars as much, giving your body a chance to break down the food without storing it. You also speed up your metabolism over time because it knows its being feed more so it doesn't bother storing anything. (you store food energy as fat).

Also lots of water!!!!!!!!

If you have any more questions i have no problem elaborating on anything, or answering questions and feel free to message me. I am NOT a certified nutritionist, i just enjoy reading, studying, and learning about nutrition and health and have read many papers, and books on these subjects.

zep@liesndeceptionpaintball.com
    Subject: MFP
  • girlykate143
    girlykate143 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    what do clean eaters classify as lean meats? Do you include luncheon meats from a deli, brands like Boar's Head? Or on the nitrate end, Hormel?
    If I were doing purely clean eating, I'd be avoiding lunch meats.
  • krstfolo
    Options
    @girlykate143 For me lean meats would include chicken breast, fish, leaner cuts of beef, pork loin, etc. I do not do the luncheon meats as they often have a lot of preservatives in them and are highly processed. Plus they are often high in sodium to extend the shelf life. If it has more than five ingredients and you can't pronounce the majority of them you can almost certainly not count it is a clean food.
  • oxidation1
    oxidation1 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Lean meats would be like grilled skinless chicken, and turkey
  • kaj44
    kaj44 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Another great website is livestrong.com
    I have been "clean eating" 85-90% of the time since September 2012. Basically, the difference is eating foods that are not processed, in their most natural state. I do use frozen for somethings like veggies...................It has made a world of difference in how I feel! I highly recommend it!
  • little_miss_panda
    Options
    One word. Paleo.

People think it's high in meat and fat etc, but I eat far more veggies on paleo than I ever did before, I get more fibre, more vitamins and minerals.

"Clean meat" best choices are wild game meats, beef or rose veal (not the white kind from crates - eww) from pastured cows, lamb (preferably organic, but if not organic then leaner cuts) and then organic poultry, with the least preferred "clean" meat being pork. Bones from well reared animals can be used to make broth/stock. Organ meats also, if you can stomach it - personally I can't, but I can do the bone broths ok. Stay away from processed meat or anything with nitrites/sulphites.

Fish - wild caught or organically farmed.

Loads of veggies and some fruit - eat the rainbow.

Get your carbs from tubers like sweet potato and potato, root vegetables, fruits (like banana), or quinoa is a good choice if you like rice/couscous. Quinoa is not actually a grain, it's a seed. But kill the grains - nutritionally, there's not much in them, grains are often GM, particularly in America, and chock full of pesticides, and certainly nothing you can't get from veggies and fruits. Veg, fruits and nuts will give you all the fibre and vitamins you need.

Kill the dairy as well except for organic butter, which contains beneficial fats. If you're concerned about calcium, you could try a fortified milk substitute like Kara coconut milk or almond milk, just watch for added sugar. On the subject of sugar, stay away from refined sugars, and preferably for a 30 day period whilst you're transitioning to cleaner eating, don't use any sweeteners at all - no honey, agave, or artificial sweeteners. Trust me, it helped me get rid of my sweet tooth big time! If you do want something sweet, then maybe small amounts of dried fruit but look for sulphite free - we have a brand called Crazy Jacks here in the UK that doesn't use them, their dried apricots are darker in colour but they taste like chewy sweets!

Goes without saying no processed/prepackaged stuff either.

If you're interested in cleaner eating I'd recommend checking out Primal Blueprint or the Whole30.

Good luck!