Looking for whole wheat pasta that is good

I've only tried 2 brands and they were not good ( If I rememeber right they were store brand kind from safeway and somewhere else) So I was wondering if anyone has found the a brand that taste the best and doesn't have such a gummy texture? I'm going to go grocery shopping soon (safeway and super walmart) so if anyone can tell me the best kind to get I would appreciate it.

Replies

• justlosingit4
    justlosingit4 Posts: 22 Member
    I get the Great Value brand of Thin Spagetti at Walmart. My kids don't even complain!
  • samantha1242
    samantha1242 Posts: 816 Member
    Catelli healthy harvest is my favourite. I also really like the whole wheat no yolk egg noodles. I think they are catelli as well.

Or you could make your own!
  • Hi. :)

Because wheat is pro-inflammatory - I usually choose gluten-free (GF) pasta (plus I agree wheat pasta gets kinda slimy). Quite a few GF pasta's get slimy & mushy too...except for this brand:

http://www.vitacost.com/ancient-harvest-1/?csrc=PPCADW-ancient_harvest&refcd=sx9Wj7fNc_ancient_harvest&tsacr=11132250251&mtp=sx9Wj7fNc|pcrid|11132250251|mt|p&gclid=CJv_kIHLz7QCFYw-MgodRl4AhA

(hope the link works - if not, it's called: Ancient Harvest Brand Pasta - it's in a light blue box)

It doesn't get slimy and you can actually even reheat it at least once and it still tastes good and holds it's texture. :)

Hope this helps.

Dr. J
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Why whole wheat? It has slightly more fiber but that is the only nutrional difference. I've never found one that tasted right. Semolina in regular pasta is a higher protein wheat. The benefit of whole wheat pasta is so slight and the drawbacks are so large that it's just not worth it for me. If I want pasta, I just have pasta.
  • cricc93
    cricc93 Posts: 9 Member
    Ronzoni's Healthy Harvest whole wheat pasta is amazing. You can hardly tell the difference. I cook with this pasta all the time and it's always delicious and fills you up.
  • ImperfectedBeauty
    ImperfectedBeauty Posts: 124 Member
    I actually recommend rice pasta, its 100% whole grain rice formed into pasta noodles and tastes exactly like regular white pasta. I buy the 'Rizopia" brand... you cook it the same, it tastes the same, but its way better for you. =)
  • emmylouwho__
    emmylouwho__ Posts: 13 Member
    I get the "Eating Right" brand, I love it, my boyfriend HATES wheat pasta, but he doesn't complain about this brand. Its good its cheap and It comes in a wide variety from thin spaghetti to lasagna etc, it even has egg noodles that are wheat. They are all gluten free and they even have a variety of pasta made of vegetables that is pretty tasty.
  • cricc93
    cricc93 Posts: 9 Member
    Why whole wheat? It has slightly more fiber but that is the only nutrional difference. I've never found one that tasted right. Semolina in regular pasta is a higher protein wheat. The benefit of whole wheat pasta is so slight and the drawbacks are so large that it's just not worth it for me. If I want pasta, I just have pasta.

The benefit of who wheat pasta is enormous. Whole wheat foods generate tons more ATP (energy) than white breads. So, that being said, whole wheat fills you up faster and sticks with you longer.
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,024 Member
    For the most part, all whole wheat pasta is kinda bland and chewy. It's really how you doctor it up. I used to make this all the time: whole wheat pasta mixed with a little half-and-half, some shredded cheese, frozen broccoli/cauliflower/carrots and some chicken. By the time you add all the other stuff to it, you don't get that bland, chewy flavor.
  • Dementedllama
    Dementedllama Posts: 177 Member
    I like Healthy Harvest personally. But it's also the only one I've tried.
  • NaurielR
    NaurielR Posts: 429 Member
    My family eats the brand '365 Everyday Value' which is a Whole Foods brand. Personally, I've eaten many different whole wheat pastas and couldn't really tell a difference, but my mom is pretty picky and swears that the 365 brand is the best she's ever tasted.
  • The Great Value Walmart brand is really good, and so is Catelli Healthy Harvest. Catelli also makes a 'Catelli Smart' version that looks white but has the same fibre as the whole wheat one. My advice is to stay away from any with added flax or any other things as I find those the oddest tasting and they don't cook quite right.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member

The benefit of who wheat pasta is enormous. Whole wheat foods generate tons more ATP (energy) than white breads. So, that being said, whole wheat fills you up faster and sticks with you longer.

I tried to find some verification of the increased ATP of whole wheat pasta but could find no source that confirmed this. Do you have a credible source for this statement? Additionally, whole wheat is far more inflammatory than semolina for those that have issues with that. I guess I just don't see the benefits being "enormous". And the culinary side is an "enormous" drawback.

I, fortunatley, am not highly reactive to wheat or grains in general. So, in some things like a hearty bread or brown rice, I'll opt for the additional fiber but the downside from a flavor point of view with pasta is just not worth it for me.
  • maricash
    maricash Posts: 280 Member
    I like Bionaturae. It's pleasantly chewy and has a nice flavor.
  • Erykah3584
    Erykah3584 Posts: 324 Member
    They all taste the same to me. You just have to get used to it. :smile:
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    All brands of whole wheat pasta that I've tried taste pretty much the same, which is not surprising since they all have the same ingredients. They taste okay but I don't like that slight grey color they have for most dishes.

I generally either stick to traditional pasta (if cooked al dente there is little difference in glycemic load from wholemeal) or Barilla Plus, which is made with semolina and other things like lentils and chickpeas for added fiber and protein. I like the taste of it and it's not grey when cooked.

ETA: I read a comparison of wholemeal pastas on webmd.com once and they said there isn't a lot of difference as far as health benefits, but gave Barilla Plus the "healthiest" rating because of the extra protein.