I can't believe how much sugar...

Options
is in milk! I have mostly been drinking water for oh, almost a month now. The only time I have milk is in cereal.
Today I thought, oh well, i have some extra calories kicking around, I'll have a glass of milk with my almonds.

HOLY COW! When I first took a sip I practically recoiled! I can't believe how sweet it is!

Does anyone else find this?

Replies

• godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options
    yes. i am back to drinking milk, but for a while, i was drinking unsweetened almond milk or rice milk or soy milk. coming back to milk (and discovering how sweet it is) was a huge shock. now i like it again though. :)
  • ivykivy
    ivykivy Posts: 2,970 Member
    Options
    Are you drinking skim or 1%? The lower the fat the higher the sugar. Whole milk has less sugar than skim.
  • drvvork
    drvvork Posts: 1,162
    Options
    Read your labels when purchasing milk - some of the processing places add sugar to the skim and 1% to give it more taste. (I grew up on a dairy farm so I became aware of this when they first started the 2%, 1%, skim stuff) I prefer lowfat goat's milk, myself - no hormones, less calories and more calcium (less sugars). :flowerforyou:
  • dinanyc
    dinanyc Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I JUST discovered this last week and couln't believe it!!! I heard it while listening to a health guru who explained that kids are getting just as much sugar in their milk as they are in other drinks and how horrible our society is for adding sugar to EVERYTHING! It's really sad. We're just raising more and more sugar addicts. And believe me, as a mom of 2 school aged kids, I see sugar more out of control in school than when I was a kid! Makes me sick.
  • mmrose00
    mmrose00 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Read your labels when purchasing milk - some of the processing places add sugar to the skim and 1% to give it more taste. (I grew up on a dairy farm so I became aware of this when they first started the 2%, 1%, skim stuff) I prefer lowfat goat's milk, myself - no hormones, less calories and more calcium (less sugars). :flowerforyou:

Added sugar to MILK???? WHATTTTTTT! Wow!!! That is a shame!

I drink Unsweetened Almond milk and LOVE IT!
  • drvvork
    Options

Added sugar to MILK???? WHATTTTTTT! Wow!!! That is a shame!

I drink Unsweetened Almond milk and LOVE IT!

I would say - cutting sugars that would be a good choice.
  • drvvork
    Options
    I JUST discovered this last week and couln't believe it!!! I heard it while listening to a health guru who explained that kids are getting just as much sugar in their milk as they are in other drinks and how horrible our society is for adding sugar to EVERYTHING! It's really sad. We're just raising more and more sugar addicts. And believe me, as a mom of 2 school aged kids, I see sugar more out of control in school than when I was a kid! Makes me sick.

Sugar and all the unnecessary carbs in our children's diets - wonder why we have an overabundance of diabetes in this country.
  • CherokeeBabe
    CherokeeBabe Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    Yikes, I hadn't thought about ADDED sugar in milk, just whatever might be naturally in it. I usually only use it for cooking, not much of a milk-drinker unles it's chocolate milk, and at that point sugar isn't something I'm showing fear of :laugh:
  • Nikiki
    Nikiki Posts: 993
    Options
    :noway: OMG I had NO clue there was sugar added to milk!!!!!!!!!!!!! well that just ticks me off. :grumble: does anyone know of any brands that dont have it? I use almond milk for most things (oatmeal, smoothies, cereal) but some days I just really want a glass of milk... and I dont want a cup of sugar with it!!! :explode:
  • Laceylala
    Laceylala Posts: 3,094 Member
    Options
    Any time a food is touted as a "low fat food" the food processors have added sugar or some kind of fake sugar to it. That is why it is better to eat full(er) fat foods and less low fat stuff. IMO anyways..
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,108 Member
    Options
    Any time a food is touted as a "low fat food" the food processors have added sugar or some kind of fake sugar to it. That is why it is better to eat full(er) fat foods and less low fat stuff. IMO anyways..

Not every time (you said "any"time)....sugar is not always added to milk. But you do have to be aware of labeling. And here's some great - but very lengthy - info about eating more fat, less carbs:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/83446-what-if-it-all-has-been-a-big-fat-lie-by-gary-taubes?
  • bebhinn
    bebhinn Posts: 198
    Options
    I think I may just stick to my 1/4 cup in my cereal until this skim is gone :S
    OH, and fats, i love me some good fats, trust me :D I eat nuts and seeds and butter and meat like its goin out of style. I get a fairly even balance of all three every day (maybe sometimes more mono) - but I do like me some carbs now and then :D