This or That

Options
Im trying to fix the flaws in my diet and i need to know what you all think is heathier, but at the same taste good.

Diet flaws:
Whole milk
Bread
Pasta noodles
MASHED POTATOS!!!!!
Sweets (chocolate, donuts, candy bars)

Replies

• melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    You can eat all of that, just in moderation. You don't need to cut out the things you love. Portion out your pasta, don't blindly fill your plate. Same with mashed potatoes. Keep sweets to a minimum but you can still make room in your calories for them. Again, moderation- a PIECE of chocolate, not a whole candy bar.

Moderation is terribly underrated. There is no reason to deprive yourself, just learn to live with "normal" portion sizes.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    I see nothing wrong with eating any of these in moderation. But, I'll give you some alternatives.

Red fat milk, fat free milk, almond milk, coconut milk, etc.
    Sandwich thins, low cal/carb tortillas, etc.
    Spaghetti squash, shirataki noodles, etc.
    Mashed cauliflower.
    Fresh or frozen fruit.
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,024 Member
    Options
    You can eat all of that, just in moderation. You don't need to cut out the things you love. Portion out your pasta, don't blindly fill your plate. Same with mashed potatoes. Keep sweets to a minimum but you can still make room in your calories for them. Again, moderation- a PIECE of chocolate, not a whole candy bar.

Moderation is terribly underrated. There is no reason to deprive yourself, just learn to live with "normal" portion sizes.

Ding ding ding.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,087 Member
    Options
    Only thing I'd try to eliminate is sweets. I already eat less than three servings a week of bread and pasta.

But all of them are fine, as long as you limit sweets, you can stil have them. It's just the easiest thing to eliminate for weight loss, and a lot of people can't have "just one" when it comes to sweets.
  • ImperfectedBeauty
    ImperfectedBeauty Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Whole milk
    Bread
    Pasta noodles
    MASHED POTATOS!!!!!
    Sweets (chocolate, donuts, candy bars)

Like the above person said you can still eat these things but in moderation. Or, if your looking to substitute I would say drink almond or soy milk instead of whole milk, whole wheat bread instead of white, rice pasta instead of regular, mashed sweet potato instead of regular, sweets in moderation and dark chocolate instead of milk. If you are going to eat sweets, eat smaller amount (a piece of chocolate instead of a whole bar, donut hole instead of a whole donut, 1/2 cup ice cream instead of a whole bowl).
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    Whole milk is not a flaw, it's only about 4% fat and three servings of dairy a day is recommended.

Depends on the bread/ pasta, are you eating the white plastic crap with laboratory made ingredients or real food with one or a few ingredients, what serving size? Mashed potatoes depends on the serving size, if you keep the skin in, what you add to make it taste good.

Donuts and candy bars have absolutely no redeeming features. Dark low sugar chocolate is packed with minerals and antioxidants and you just gave me a craving, for white and milk see donuts and candy.