How do you guys keep yourself from eating junk food????

Options

Replies

• tschaff04
    tschaff04 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    "if you're not willing to eat healthy, you're not really hungry you're just craving"

Amazing quote!!!!!!! And truth! :drinker:
  • imwithgizmo
    imwithgizmo Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    For me, I have to live in an environment where that kind of food is not around. And, I need to have good healthy food available so I make good choices. Not easy, but you can do it if you really try. You won't be "perfect" all the time, but if you are "perfect" most of the time, you will see changes.
  • dawnsman
    dawnsman Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Just don't eat it. Ok, not that simple huh. Yeah I agree that if it's not in the house then you won't eat it. I actually think it has more to do with perserverance than anything else and taking pride in the fact that you are in control of what you eat. Food is a powerful negotiator and it makes a good case to be eaten, but only you are the jury and soul decision maker. Why continue to let an outside influence control you? Who really has the power to not eat that junk food?
  • Daday2013
    Daday2013 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I find a similar plan works for me too. The popcorn can be a lifesaver. One other thing that helps me is to increase my protein early in the day and I don't get as hungry or have the cravings for junk. It's a daily journey! Good luck! We all deserve to be fit and healthy!!!
  • islandbeauty81
    islandbeauty81 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Everything in moderation. I don't deprive myself of anything as long as it is within my daily limit.
  • fIashforward
    fIashforward Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel.

If there is no junk food in the house, I can usually cope fine. I usually just drink lots of tea, sugar free drinks or chew chewing gum - something to keep my mouth busy.

When there is food, I do eat it.

However, I usually take "weeks-off", for example, over Halloween I just didn't bother with trying to lose weight and ate what I wanted. I gained a few pounds but lost it the next week anyway.

And before I Christmas I ate very little in the anticipation of pigging out, I did, and weigh about the same as I did before starving myself ;) so I haven't really lost anything, but I haven't gained anything either.
  • akilahleemarie
    akilahleemarie Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    this isn't really answering your question...but I'm sure you are asking it because you struggle with going over your calorie goal like most of us... i try to follow the "if it fits your macros" rule...i also sometimes plan everything that im going to eat the day before...from breakfast to snack to the milk im going to put in my tea. I always make room for my junk food... things I love: 60 calore sugar free pudding (cold jello/pudding aisle) , 150 calorie ice cream cups and sandwiches (i love them because they are portioned and are not gone in 3 bites)...and 100 calorie bag popcorn its called "healthy pop" or something..I buy it from fred meyer...i swear i feel like i am cheating on my diet when i sit down with my diet root beer and 100 calorie bag of popcorn :)
  • lambchoplewis
    Options
    Nothing tastes as good as feeling thin
  • Darlene4prayers
    Darlene4prayers Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I'm right there with you. I have been going through this for a couple of years since menopause. I've always loved my junk food since childhood but I was in more control than I am now. I think bad habits are hard to change and it just takes time. I know a lot of people will say you have to want it real bad, or we lack motivation and willpower to make healthy choices, and their probably right. So if someone would give me a million dollars I would lose the weight for sure. lol One of my problems is I don't like to cook so I find myself making something quick or going out to eat. I like to have munchies before going to bed, and the list goes on.
    To start this journey get all the information you can on MFP, Sparkspeople, and books to learn all you can about nutrition, recipes and exercise. Then start trying the weight loss tips or ideas to see what will work for your body.
    You are not alone change is hard and we all are in this together. You can friend me and we can support each other.
  • Darlene4prayers
    Options
    I know how you feel.

If there is no junk food in the house, I can usually cope fine. I usually just drink lots of tea, sugar free drinks or chew chewing gum - something to keep my mouth busy.

However, I usually take "weeks-off", for example, over Halloween I just didn't bother with trying to lose weight and ate what I wanted. I gained a few pounds but lost it the next week anyway.

And before I Christmas I ate very little in the anticipation of pigging out, I did, and weigh about the same as I did before starving myself ;) so I haven't really lost anything, but I haven't gained anything either.

I like your idea!
  • Darlene4prayers
    Options
    I know how you feel.

I like your idea!
  • lamby284
    lamby284 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    fill up on protein. it will make you feel fuller than eating something bready.
  • Starfish1125
    Starfish1125 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    It's so hard. Junk food is my weakness. I also have kids, so there is usually some sort of badness in our house. I don't deprive myself, though because this is a lifestyle, not a diet.

Once I deprive myself, I WILL overeat - in a major way. It is not unheard of for me to eat almost an entire package of double stuf oreos!!!

Try to incorporate a little sweet treat daily.
  • junerbooner
    junerbooner Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    It comes down to what do you want more. Do you want to have a healthy diet and healthy body, or do you want to eat junk food? What do you want more? you can't have both. sure you can eat junk food in moderation, but a healthy person doesn't want junk food, they want healthy food.
    I can't say I wouldn't love a donut or a pig out on chips and ice cream! I agree with the above quote that you need to have your priorities in order and decide what you want the most. I rarely have any junk food because I want to get this awful weight off more than anything and to get my body healthy in a timely manner. It comes down to will power!!!!
  • dovesgate
    dovesgate Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    I eat it every day so that I wont binge - I've done it before by trying to abstain completely and I just wont go through that again.

Chocolate with my breakfast and usually a junky snack or two, especially if there are goodies at work. The trick for me though is that I have a tiny bit. Someone had german chocolate cake in for their birthday yesterday and I limited myself to a 1 1/2 inch by 1 1/2 inch piece. I savored all 4 bites and moved on with my life.

Do what works for you. Build it in your diet and be happy or abstain completely and be happy. Up to you.
  • 12skipafew99100
    12skipafew99100 Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    I try not to buy it or keep it in the house. Its really hard as I am not the only one who shops and I have 4 teens who all live here. Sometimes I feel doomed as I can't resist certain things if they are here in the house.
  • Lochlyn_D
    Lochlyn_D Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    I just don't have any. If you don't have it in the house, you can't eat it. I have a rule that I only eat at home so that makes it very easy for me not to eat "bad" foods.
  • shannonmarie752487
    Options
    Maybe you should work some junk food in your diet. For instance, get the big bag of Doritos and some little snack baggies. Fill all the snack baggies and date them. Do the same with whatever your other favorite junk food is. Gradually decrease the amount of junk food in your daily snack allowance. It's okay to eat Doritos, just not the whole big ol bag. Even eating three or four apples would be as bad since you still have calories in apples. Self control too!
  • StripedSmoker
    StripedSmoker Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    My anti-junk food method is weird but it works for me: I have it right here, infront of me. And when it's there... I don't have the urge to eat it. Sometimes I just do, a little bit, when I earned a treat :) But usually I never go over one tiny sin each day (good for the soul~). irght now I got chocolate and other sweets here and I don't even want to touch them.
  • OddballExtreme
    OddballExtreme Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    No food is inherently unhealthy. A more reasonable approach is to eat a moderate amount of foods you enjoy every day. Trying completely avoid foods you like can lead to unhealthy obsession with them.
    Preach it to the people! This is exactly what I learned from the dietitian when I was diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes last year. My mother avoided sweets for more than 14 years because she thought diabetics could not have any sweets of any kind. After I showed her how some not-so-sweet things can actually pack more carbohydrates, she's eating a little bit of cheesecake ever so often now. Work the sweets INTO the plan for the day, and you won't feel deprived.