Starvation mode?

Options

Replies

• firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    You aren't in starvation mode and there's nothing wrong with only eating once a day if you get your calories in during that meal. Lots of people eat that way and are just fine. Most people can't manage to go that long without food but if you can and that works for you then there's no need to change. Starvation mode requires you to be at minimal calories per day for months. Skipping a meal doesn't put you in starvation mode.

sigh.

really? there's nothing wrong with eating one 2000 calorie meal a day?

I'm really curious why you think this.

I'm curious as to why you think it's instantly wrong. Not everyone can follow that sort of IF plan if they find that a.) their energy lags or b.) they're prone to binge eating. However, that's enough science behind IF and AF practices that find that doing that, or doing things like that, is just as healthy (often with even more health benefits, like better cholesterol ratios, better BP, and optimum fat loss if at a deficit still) as 3 meals a day, or 5 meals a day. "Three meals a day" is a fairly new phenomenon in terms of humans and eating... and I mean that both in terms of evolution and sociology. Long term studies have found benefits from this, but even short term periods of this show no adverse effects, as there's quite a few studies on the health and weight of Muslims during Ramadan (they don't lose or gain weight when eating maintenance calories in one meal after fasting all day... for a month).

And, as has been posted ad nauseum, there's been very well known studies that show that eating a day's worth of calories in one sitting does not put you into starvation mode... consistent HIGH deficits over a period of time longer than 6-8 hours of sleep a night is what puts a body into starvation mode.
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    You aren't in starvation mode and there's nothing wrong with only eating once a day if you get your calories in during that meal. Lots of people eat that way and are just fine. Most people can't manage to go that long without food but if you can and that works for you then there's no need to change. Starvation mode requires you to be at minimal calories per day for months. Skipping a meal doesn't put you in starvation mode.

sigh.

I'm curious as to why you think it's instantly wrong. Not everyone can follow that sort of IF plan if they find that a.) their energy lags or b.) they're prone to binge eating. However, that's enough science behind IF and AF practices that find that doing that, or doing things like that, is just as healthy (often with even more health benefits, like better cholesterol ratios, better BP, and optimum fat loss if at a deficit still) as 3 meals a day, or 5 meals a day. "Three meals a day" is a fairly new phenomenon in terms of humans and eating... and I mean that both in terms of evolution and sociology. Long term studies have found benefits from this, but even short term periods of this show no adverse effects, as there's quite a few studies on the health and weight of Muslims during Ramadan (they don't lose or gain weight when eating maintenance calories in one meal after fasting all day... for a month).

And, as has been posted ad nauseum, there's been very well known studies that show that eating a day's worth of calories in one sitting does not put you into starvation mode... consistent HIGH deficits over a period of time longer than 6-8 hours of sleep a night is what puts a body into starvation mode.

see my second post.

also, I didn't argue for 3 meals a day either did i?

but here's some interesting info:

"A US Department of Agriculture study found that eating just one large meal a day versus three normal-sized meals lowers weight and body fat but raises blood pressure; three meals per day lowers blood pressure. A National Institute on Aging study found that eating one large meal a day rather than three raises insulin resistance and glucose intolerance: two key features of type-2 diabetes. "

so... it has its risks
  • revzzz
    revzzz Posts: 8
    Options

sigh.

see my second post.

"A US Department of Agriculture study found that eating just one large meal a day versus three normal-sized meals lowers weight and body fat but raises blood pressure; three meals per day lowers blood pressure. A National Institute on Aging study found that eating one large meal a day rather than three raises insulin resistance and glucose intolerance: two key features of type-2 diabetes. "

so... it has its risks

Are you really going to take food advice from the Department of Agriculture?

I'm not usually one for conspiracies but I think there's a good chance of there being one there, seeing as their primary interest is making sure you and I buy as much food as possible. They're the ones pushing 6 meals a day. I suggest you get your information from more impartial sources.
  • CoachReddy
    Options

sigh.

see my second post.

so... it has its risks

Are you really going to take food advice from the Department of Agriculture?

I'm not usually one for conspiracies but I think there's a good chance of there being one there, seeing as their primary interest is making sure you and I buy as much food as possible. They're the ones pushing 6 meals a day. I suggest you get your information from more impartial sources.

haha absolutely not. i think the FDA and the governmental food machine is beyond messed up. There's a vested interest in keeping all of us alive but sick.

however, 2000 calories in one meal vs. 2000 in 6 meals is still the same... amount... of food... so... your theory falls apart a bit.
  • revzzz
    Options
    It's the same amount of calories, but it's not the same amount of food unless you're buying all the little snacks you'd otherwise buy and eating them during your one meal.

I'd assume that most people who do IF are like me and buy their food in bulk. I'm spending far less on food now than I was when I was eating 5 meals a day.

The other industry that pushes the 5 meal a day plan is the supplement industry who want you to pay extortionate prices for their protein bars. They've also perpetuated the myth that we can only consume 30g of protein at a time (I wonder why).

The Department of Agriculture or the supplement industry isn't going to fund and/or publicise research into IF since they'd lose billions. The science behind fasting is there though, if you want to look for it.
  • CoachReddy
    Options
    It's the same amount of calories, but it's not the same amount of food unless you're buying all the little snacks you'd otherwise buy and eating them during your one meal.

I'd assume that most people who do IF are like me and buy their food in bulk. I'm spending far less on food now than I was when I was eating 5 meals a day.

The other industry that pushes the 5 meal a day plan is the supplement industry who want you to pay extortionate prices for their protein bars. They've also perpetuated the myth that we can only consume 30g of protein at a time (I wonder why).

The Department of Agriculture or the supplement industry isn't going to fund and/or publicise research into IF since they'd lose billions. The science behind fasting is there though, if you want to look for it.

I also buy food in bulk, and eat 6 meals a day. i also pay less than i used to. I mean...

there's also science behind keeping your metabolism going consistently instead of making it spike and drop constantly.

There's "science" to prove whatever you want it to prove.
  • revzzz
    Options
    Do you not think the agriculture industry would lose a significant amount of money if half of the US switched from eating 6 meals a day to one meal a day? If you don't, I mean...

Your second point is the first 'myth' to be debunked on here: http://www.leangains.com/2010/10/top-ten-fasting-myths-debunked.html

You have the question the motives of your sources. The agriculture and supplement industry have obvious motives for pushing their agendas. The science behind fasting and calorie restriction (nothing as extreme as 800 calories I think) has been tested both in the lab on animals and on people over many decades.
  • teepuppylove
    teepuppylove Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Hiya! I have found that small meals with midmorning snack, midafternoon snack, and yes even dessert work best at amping up my metabolism. For this type of eating I follow the general guidelines/meal plan of the SouthBeach diet...most full meals (breakfast, lunch, dinner) come in at around 300-400 calories, with three snacks a day at around 100. That keeps intake to between 1000-1500 (although you should never go below 1200). There is some contention about whether this will or will not speed up your metabolism to any great effect, however, I have found the benefit is being satisfied while dieting and not binge eating or feeling deprived. Good luck!
  • CoachReddy
    Options
    Do you not think the agriculture industry would lose a significant amount of money if half of the US switched from eating 6 meals a day to one meal a day? If you don't, I mean...

Your second point is the first 'myth' to be debunked on here: http://www.leangains.com/2010/10/top-ten-fasting-myths-debunked.html

You have the question the motives of your sources. The agriculture and supplement industry have obvious motives for pushing their agendas. The science behind fasting and calorie restriction (nothing as extreme as 800 calories I think) has been tested both in the lab on animals and on people over many decades.

haha that was an example, man. I can find more. there are PLENTY of arguments on both sides of this issue.

i'll give you one you can see in your every day life.

do you have pets? a cat maybe? do you know someone who does? when you leave a bowl of food out for the cat, do they eat ONE meal a day and let it be, or do they graze periodically throughout the day, never eating one large meal?

the answer is the latter. they don't have the internet or science or studies telling them what to do - they do what's been evolutionarily programed into their DNA.

I don't claim to say that i know with 100% certainty that my way's the best way, but it's worked really well for me! All I ask is that we dispense with this "I AM 100% POSITIVE I'M RIGHT THAT MY WAY IS THE ONLY WAY" mentality that so many people on these boards seem to have. That too much to ask?
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Starvation mode is a myth , 50 or 60 years ago people didn't eat the. Crap we eat today working class had to manage on few home made meals with food they grew. Go back to basics I say , it's easy cook from fresh have loads of veg and don't listen to the rubbish people come up with who think they know it all and no nothing.

why are our opinions rubbish and yours gospel? i think all of us need to preface our nutrition advice with "in my opinion" because there are LOTS of viewpoints on the subject.

for example, people back then were USED to eating less food. you take someone in today's society who has typically eaten 3, 4, 5,000 calories a day, and they suddenly switch to 800 a day, they WILL go into what's referred to as "starvation mode" because their bodies aren't used to so few calories.

in my opinion.

Why are you so quick to think everything you say is right? Back your ideas up with some facts if you're so sure that you're always right!
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    do you have pets? a cat maybe? do you know someone who does? when you leave a bowl of food out for the cat, do they eat ONE meal a day and let it be, or do they graze periodically throughout the day, never eating one large meal?

the answer is the latter. they don't have the internet or science or studies telling them what to do - they do what's been evolutionarily programed into their DNA.

I guess this all depends. If you feed them once a day or iff you put out three bowls a day, they'd eat when you put the food out. If you put a whole 20 pound bag of dog food out, yes they'd graze all day, but if you only put one cup out, they'd eat it all. Your example doesn't make sense to me in regards to the conversation.
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    way to hi-jack a OPs thread on a Friday night! wooo! talk about some exciting stuff....

sheesh.
  • tomscfc1
    Options
    I have developed a bad habit of not eating regularly, which I have learned has put my body in 'starvation mode'. My normal routine consists of a couple cups of coffee (with sugar free creamer) in the morning, and then a big dinner at night. I will occasionally eat something mid day, but not regularly. I am generally active, but I don't work out (yet). I have tried in the past to eat on a schedule (breakfast, lunch, dinner, snacks) but I have ALWAYS gained weight, which of course makes me stop the routine! Are there any tips on how I can get into a routine of eating regularly, especially when I don't feel hungry, and still lose weight?

Watch your daily net intake, if this is negative you will lose weight, if you don't then you aren't tracking your intake or exercise correctly. If in doubt always select the sedentary setting on MFP - the notion of lightly active vs sedentary is highly subjective.

edit: and yes the starvation myth has been busted again and again I won't waste my time explaining as it has worked for some people (only because it must've had a positive affect on the actions they took - there is no scientific backing for starvation mode - there never has been)
  • CoachReddy
    Options
    Starvation mode is a myth , 50 or 60 years ago people didn't eat the. Crap we eat today working class had to manage on few home made meals with food they grew. Go back to basics I say , it's easy cook from fresh have loads of veg and don't listen to the rubbish people come up with who think they know it all and no nothing.

why are our opinions rubbish and yours gospel? i think all of us need to preface our nutrition advice with "in my opinion" because there are LOTS of viewpoints on the subject.

for example, people back then were USED to eating less food. you take someone in today's society who has typically eaten 3, 4, 5,000 calories a day, and they suddenly switch to 800 a day, they WILL go into what's referred to as "starvation mode" because their bodies aren't used to so few calories.

in my opinion.

Why are you so quick to think everything you say is right? Back your ideas up with some facts if you're so sure that you're always right!

haha i didn't say that! i said that's my opinion! you're free to have you're own! but neither mine OR yours is FACT (as both can be proven or disproven depending on what research you look at)
  • CoachReddy
    Options

I guess this all depends. If you feed them once a day or iff you put out three bowls a day, they'd eat when you put the food out. If you put a whole 20 pound bag of dog food out, yes they'd graze all day, but if you only put one cup out, they'd eat it all. Your example doesn't make sense to me in regards to the conversation.

not even true. no matter how much you put out, they still eat till they don't want to anymore. i fill their bowl in the morning, and then as needed throughout the day, but they've always got food available. they ration it themselves throughout the day. why's that?
  • CoachReddy
    Options
    anyway. whoever it was was right. let's quit the hijack. :)
  • AllTehBeers
    Options

not even true. no matter how much you put out, they still eat till they don't want to anymore. i fill their bowl in the morning, and then as needed throughout the day, but they've always got food available. they ration it themselves throughout the day. why's that?

Why? Because they aren't going to keep eating once they're full. When they get hungry again, they'll come back to eat again. It's not about "rationing" for a domesticated animal, it's "i'm hungry, I'll go to my bowl and eat until I'm full."

Do you just fill the bowl completely, or do you put out the exact recommended amount for your pets weight for the entire day?

Try this. If you put out exactly the nutritional amount the animal needs for one day, see how long it takes them to eat it. I would be willing to bet they eat it most, if not all, in one sitting.
  • CoachReddy
    Options

Why? Because they aren't going to keep eating once they're full. When they get hungry again, they'll come back to eat again. It's not about "rationing" for a domesticated animal, it's "i'm hungry, I'll go to my bowl and eat until I'm full."

Do you just fill the bowl completely, or do you put out the exact recommended amount for your pets weight for the entire day?

Try this. If you put out exactly the nutritional amount the animal needs for one day, see how long it takes them to eat it. I would be willing to bet they eat it most, if not all, in one sitting.

that's quite an interesting experiment and I'll totally do it.

however, to your point of "i'm hungry so i go to my bowl" is exactly MY point. if you're hungry, you should eat. Cat or human.
  • jeaniefitzgerald
    Options
    I am sorry to say, but I disagree. As we all know, it is about what we eat, how often we eat and what works best to fuel the body. IF you ate 1200 calories a day of watermelon, how would you function properly. :) Just saying...
  • AllTehBeers
    Options

that's quite an interesting experiment and I'll totally do it.

however, to your point of "i'm hungry so i go to my bowl" is exactly MY point. if you're hungry, you should eat. Cat or human.

I get your point, but as humans, we eat for emotional, social, and "happy feelings" reasons. We are not animals as to where we are rationed food like pets. I ate because I was "hungry" and I ballooned to 300 pounds. When you think half a pizza is one serving, it's not good to "listen to your body."