53 and facing changes beyond my control

Options
kdkyzer
kdkyzer Posts: 137 Member
Hello! I'm a 53 year old woman. Suddenly, it seems, my children are grown and I'm ...well...not exactly a spring chicken any more. My changing hormones are causing my body to change and I need to stay extra focused and motivated so that I'm not fifty-something and frumpy.

Here's the problem: Although I love to exercise, and I eat in a healthy way generally, I also have the biggest sweet tooth ever known to man. My weight struggles are because of my constant battle to tame the sugar dragon!

Some background. Through high school, I was 'normal' weight. Right after high school, I gained 50 pounds. I was able to lose that a few years later. Then I got married when I was 22 and had two babies (who are now 27 and 22!) My body got squishy and lumpy after that. I started exercising regularly after that which tightened everything up a bit. In my late 30s, we got divorced.

New chapter in my life: single mother. I started running a bit. Not far or fast, but just a mile or two in my neighborhood. Enough for me to know that running was something I enjoyed. In my 40s I got a bit more serious about running and did a couple of half marathons. I also remarried, and without me even realizing it was happening, I was 25 pounds over weight.. But I was still running...and even training for, and finishing, my first marathon!

The January before my 50th birthday (May), I told myself that I'd be fit and fab by fifty. And worked hard at taming the sugar dragon while I trained for my second marathon. I lost 25 pounds and felt great! My marathon time was 30 minutes faster than my first marathon due to the lighter load I carried!

Alas, the sugar dragon once again began to rule my life, and that, along with my changing hormones are not a good combination I've gradually gained ~15 pounds back.

I continue to eat healthy (other than the sugar dragon thing), and continue to exercise 6 days most weeks.

My daughter is getting married in May. My goal is to lose these 15 pounds by then...so I won't look like a frumpy, lumpy old lady! Looking beyond May, our retirement is just a few years away, and I want to age gracefully and be fit and healthy enough to enjoy our retirement!

This looks like exactly the community that I'd like to be involved with to help maintain my focus.

Replies

• sschumack
    Options
    Hello kdkyzer - During one of my WW stints I learned that if I eat starches it triggers me to crave sweets within the hour. And later during one of our programs at church where everyone was eating beans, I found that if I ate beans, I could sit in Shipley's Donuts (may be a Texas thing) and never want to touch a donut.
  • MarJay12
    Options
    The Menopause! I feel your pain!
  • kdkyzer
    kdkyzer Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Hello kdkyzer - During one of my WW stints I learned that if I eat starches it triggers me to crave sweets within the hour. And later during one of our programs at church where everyone was eating beans, I found that if I ate beans, I could sit in Shipley's Donuts (may be a Texas thing) and never want to touch a donut.

Thanks for your response! I haven't yet figured out what my triggers are...even after all of these years. I wonder if the protein in the beans helps control the sweet craving? (Around here, it's Krispy Kreme doughnuts...and I could probably inhale a dozen without batting an eye...)