P90X??

Options
Hi All,

Are their any fans of P90X out there? Has anyone done the programme and loved it? Or anyone done it and not enjoyed it?

Love to hear some more feedback about it and what kinda results ppl got?

Has anyone done both P90x and Turbo Fire - comparisons??

Thanks all

xo

Replies

• FineasEnferb
    FineasEnferb Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I am a big P90x fan. Been doing it for a couple years now and sadly I still laugh at Tony's jokes. I don't follow it to its exact schedule but I am very close. IMO, P90x is a great balance between cardio and weight lifting workouts. Even the resistance days using weights is like a cardio/weight workout. I even use a hyper vest pro w/ 10lbs to make the workouts a bit more harder. Feel free to ask me any questions.
  • KiiAttitude
    KiiAttitude Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    im doing insanity workout, its by the same people same concept but a little different and i like it :) hard work but worth it...

im going to do p90x after :) x
  • Reneeisfat
    Reneeisfat Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I laugh at him too!
    Hug it out!
    You gotta love yourself!
    Pam the blam!
    Oh boy it's our favorite...superman banana!!!
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    my experience is that people who bash it are people who have not actually tried it

it is a complete exercise routine that includes cardio, weight lifting and stretching

for the "lift heavy" crowd, P90X can be a lift heavy routine if you want to lift heavy,

It is a challenging work out and takes significant commitment but the results will come if you actually do it

you do not need the recovery drink or need to buy any of the beach body stuff but you do need to have a solid nutrition plan

try it, you might like it
  • fitnessgal1318
    Options
    P90X is a great workout program. It was my entry into the world of seeing what heavy or heavier lifting can do for your body and self esteem. I followed it strictly for 2 months a while back and got great results, particularly in my core. I broke my toe and never completed the third month but have done workouts here and there and lift at my gym. It is very challenging and takes commitment but is well worth the money and time in my opinion. I'm actually thinking about starting again as my gym is insanely crowded right now. Give it a go and good luck!!
  • TattooedPinUpGal
    Options
    I LOVE P90x! (and tony horton's cheesy lines. ;D)

I am starting round 2 in a few days! :D

It works if you DO the work!
  • katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    I haven't done it myself , my mom has it and likes it.

The reviews I've read repeatedly say there's not enough variety in the workouts, if you are only using those videos.
    you could combine it with something else obviously.
    these were by fans of cathe friedrich fans though. they aren't P90x bashers, they just have been spoiled a little.
    Cathe's routines/workouts/rotations are known for variety, lots of premixes, and over a hundred workouts to choose from because she's been doing this since the 80's. Her most recent set has hundreds of variations of workouts if you have all the downloads or dvd set. STS is advertised to have a different workout each time. Much more expensive than P90x, but it's meant to be used for 3 months.
  • MsP90X
    MsP90X Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    (((waves hand in the air)))

Hell ya, I am a fan ;) It has kept me focused and paid me in dividends. Just started another round this week... tomorrow will be the end of week 1. Ask me any question you would like.
  • nikkinz
    nikkinz Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    P90x is great for changing your body composition but i added in a little extra cardio because i was trying to lose weight . Turbo fire is an amesome calorie burner but all cardio and not much resistance/strength training. I was combining the two for awhile and that worked really well for me. Half way through insanity now and really enjoying it. May combine that with p90x after i finish.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    I did P90X a couple of years ago. I only thought it was OK.

The workouts themselves were fine, but I thought they were a bit on the long side for what they were. All the exercises lasted over an hour - except Cardio X, IIRC. That includes the Ab Ripper X which you do after the main exercise on "lift" days.

Like others, I didn't find there to be enough "true" variety for an hour long daily routine. No matter how many variations of curls, pushups, and pull-ups they had - they were still curls, pushups, and pull-ups. And other things, but mainly those, it seemed.

And the cardio workouts I thought weren't very challenging. They were fine for the first couple of weeks, but then I found I adapted to they were doing quite easily. And, unfortunately, when Tony's counting, it's hard to make a different rhythm for myself.

Still, I know I sound really down on it here, but it's a fine program. It's just that you may find - halfway through - you're getting bored with it. I know I did.
  • mcflat29
    mcflat29 Posts: 2,159 Member
    Options
    I would love to do P90X. My Significant Other got it for both of us to try a couple years ago. I couldn't even pass the fitness test and my doctor said, "Don't you dare!" He stuck with it for awhile while I did lighter workouts. We both lost weight, he looked fantastic and nothing is sexier than watching your honey do a ton of pullups... rawr...

The only problem was it had a huge time factor and we just both got really busy and fell away from our healthy habits. We're trying to get back into it and, one day, I'm hoping to be able to do P90X. I can definitely say it's worked for him and a few other people I know, but you have to stick to it and have the time.

Personally, I'd love to try his ten minute trainer.
  • watergallagher
    watergallagher Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    if u dont know its missing bench presses and deadlifts, then u'll love it. i love it. im on day four and im in love with it its almost yoga time. p90x is perfect for me. i hate the gym so much i built my own. i never have a spotter. p90x is pefect for me.
  • meghannrenee
    meghannrenee Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I'm finishing up week 5 of P90X, and I did TurboFire right before starting.

I LOVE TurboFire - I find it to to be incredibly fun, and that kind of cardio is really more my thing.

I decided to do P90X because right before TurboFire I had been training for a marathon, so my strength training for 1/2 of last year was pretty light just due to time constraints and I needed to get back on it before I start training for my next marathon.

It is TOUGH! I like it, not as much as TurboFire but comparing the two is really like comparing apples and oranges. So far I've noticed more definition just about everywhere, and some of my clothes are a little loser even though my weight has been the same (not trying to lose, just to maintain).
  • AmyEm3
    AmyEm3 Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    I did one full round and loved it. Started a 2nd round and got about 2/3 of the way through and then we moved and everything has been crazy since then. I've still been doing it here and there but not following the schedule. I am planning to start a complete round following his schedule again soon. My husband started it after I did and he lost 40 pounds.

I love it and it really made a difference for me (I was also running a lot though too--and P90X really helped improve my running times). I still laugh at Tony too.
  • Project_Jodie
    Options
    I'm finishing up week 5 of P90X, and I did TurboFire right before starting.

I LOVE TurboFire - I find it to to be incredibly fun, and that kind of cardio is really more my thing.

I decided to do P90X because right before TurboFire I had been training for a marathon, so my strength training for 1/2 of last year was pretty light just due to time constraints and I needed to get back on it before I start training for my next marathon.

It is TOUGH! I like it, not as much as TurboFire but comparing the two is really like comparing apples and oranges. So far I've noticed more definition just about everywhere, and some of my clothes are a little loser even though my weight has been the same (not trying to lose, just to maintain).

I thought as much - I think I'd like to do both! :) How did your marathon go? Thats awesome!
  • Project_Jodie
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice :)

I think I'm going to try both P90 x and Turbo Fire - they both seem great! I'm keen for anything really so will be great!

Cheers all!
  • J_sparkle
    J_sparkle Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Here's a hybrid schedule I found (and was thinking of doing) if you're interested: http://www.decidetostayfit.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/p90x-turbofire-hybrid.pdf

I did TurboFire before Insanity (which I'm almost finished with) and was going to do P90X next. I LOVED TurboFire but I agree it is a VERY different program. You need to be able to follow a routine/choreography. Some people have a hard time w/ that. I enjoyed the high energy and positivity of Chalene and the music (of course!). However, I think it is almost entirely a cardio program. It does have some resistance band work but I don't think it was enough to truly made a dent in definition.

You WILL however amp up your heart rate!

J