Box Jumps - Working up to 24"

Options
Hey! Does anyone have any tips to working up to doing 24" box jumps? I started on a 12" platform last night but I still don't feel steady. Is this just a comfort thing? I see these tiny women doing it (I think they are Cheerleaders and SUPER fit anyway) and I feel so silly that I can't do even half the same height.

Are there some other jumping exercises I can do to build the correct muscles to work toward being able to do this?

I feel silly asking, but while I can jump, I can't jump that high. At least not yet.

Replies

• Jesstruhan
    Jesstruhan Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Crickets again...drat.
  • ValerieMomof2
    ValerieMomof2 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Plyometric training will be your friend
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,629 Member
    Options
    Practice by doing jump tucks. Jumping up on platforms requires that you bring your knees up higher and jump tucks can teach you how to do that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDA3DERQKFk&feature=fvwp&NR=1

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Health_Gal
    Health_Gal Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    My question is: Why do you need to do a 24 inch box jump? There are many other ways to get your exercise.

If you don't feel safe attempting such a high jump, don't let a coach or trainer push you into it. Your safety and ability to stay injury free so you can exercise is MUCH more important than reaching a goal a trainer set for you.
  • jimmie65
    jimmie65 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Agree with the tuck jumps. Also build up slowly.

For most people, it's more of a fear issue than lack of ability. Get comfortable and move up slowly.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Assuming you are over 5 feet tall and you can bend at the knee and hip, you can clear 24 inches
    Like the others suggested, practice tuck jumps. Make sure you're jumping onto a completely stable surface and you won't have as much fear.
  • jimmie65
    jimmie65 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    My question is: Why do you need to do a 24 inch box jump? There are many other ways to get your exercise.

If you don't feel safe attempting such a high jump, don't let a coach or trainer push you into it. Your safety and ability to stay injury free so you can exercise is MUCH more important than reaching a goal a trainer set for you.

My question for you is why you feel the need to discourage people from pushing themselves.
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options

My question for you is why you feel the need to discourage people from pushing themselves.

Nicely said!
  • Health_Gal
    Options
    Because when people push themselves too hard, that often leads to injury -- which can take you out of the game for weeks, if not months!
  • gibs4ever
    Options
    Your muscles need time to adjust. Keep going hard and when you feel comfortable enough, then move up.
  • Health_Gal
    Options
    Your muscles need time to adjust. Keep going hard and when you feel comfortable enough, then move up.

That's very good advice. If and when you decide to try jumping on the higher box, make sure that you are really ready for the challenge, and aren't just doing it because the coach is pushing you to attempt it or to keep up with others in the class.
  • tressatnt
    Options
    I did it for the first time last night. It is hard to do that first jump, let me tell you. But once you do it, you can do it. I had to do 10 as part of a circuit and I did the circuit 7 times, so I did 70. Tough, but I felt GREAT being able to do it. Weird thing though, I'm SUPER sore today in the upper back/shoulder and neck today and I think it's from doing those box jumps. I tensed up so much in my jump and now I'm paying for it.
  • Health_Gal
    Options
    If someone is ready and wants to do high box jumps, that's one thing. But when they put them into a circuit where everyone thinks they HAVE to do them to get to the next station, that's when things start getting dangerous. Any circuit that includes box jumps should have all kinds of options for those who are not ready to do them.
  • tressatnt
    Options
    If someone is ready and wants to do high box jumps, that's one thing. But when they put them into a circuit where everyone thinks they HAVE to do them to get to the next station, that's when things start getting dangerous. Any circuit that includes box jumps should have all kinds of options for those who are not ready to do them.

Don't know if that was directed at my post, but to clarify, the trainer also brought out the lower box for those who couldn't do the high one or who were not comfortable with it. There were only 2 of us in class. I did the high one, the other gal did the low one. No biggie.
  • Health_Gal
    Options
    That's fine if people have a choice and are not feeling pressured to try jumping on the high box before they feel ready.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    Practice by doing jump tucks. Jumping up on platforms requires that you bring your knees up higher and jump tucks can teach you how to do that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDA3DERQKFk&feature=fvwp&NR=1

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Agreed.
  • GeekyGirlLyn
    GeekyGirlLyn Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I see the poster asking for advice to WORK UP to 24 not jumping 24 right away because they have to. So instead of judging her for asking the question or implying her trainer or coach is pushing her why not offer advice on how to safely work up to them. For the initial poster it does take time to work up to them. Im still on a twelve, I started at my crossfit gym doing 4's then 8's then 10's and so on. You can work out and work up to it with other exercises but one huge key is confidence. If you tell yourself its super hard then youve made it hard from the start. I told myself at my height and weight Id never be able to jump on the box, Id be doing the little weights forever. But my trainer told me to have faith in myself and just keep trying it once every so often. I didnt do it the first few times but I got closer and closer. Once I saw I was getting closer with every attempt after every few days I suddenly could do it because I wasnt psyching myself out before each jump. Just stick with the 12's, work them until comfortable then move to the next few until you get to the 24's. I watch this one guy at my gym do the 24 with 4 inch weights stacked to 32 or 36 and Im in awe. Maybe Ill never do that but I can do the 24's and so can you!
  • Health_Gal
    Options
    While some Crossfit coaches are probably reasonable, Crossfit as an organization has a bad reputation for being extreme and pushing people to force their bodies to perform beyond reasonable limits during their workouts. I am not a fan of that organization, and wish people would stop throwing so much money into Crossfit's pocket when there are plenty of good locally owned gyms to select from.
  • GeekyGirlLyn
    GeekyGirlLyn Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    While some Crossfit coaches are probably reasonable, Crossfit as an organization has a bad reputation for being extreme and pushing people to force their bodies to perform beyond reasonable limits during their workouts. I am not a fan of that organization, and wish people would stop throwing so much money into Crossfit's pocket when there are plenty of good locally owned gyms to select from.

And I wish people would stop judging what I spend my money on. Its my choice to blow my money from my job on Crossfit. I did the normal gym. It didn't work. I didn't enjoy Zumba or running on a treadmill or being stared at when I was in the weight area. Crossfit is fun. I LIKE going to the classes. It makes me WANT to workout. Judging all of Crossfit by the ones who take it to extremes is ridiculous. Its not to your taste. Fine. But that doesn't make it your place to say I'm throwing my money away in Crossfit. Its my choice and quite frankly if it gets me moving, lifting, running and losing where nothing else did then its worth the extra money I pay every month. If the OP likes Crossfit and enjoys their workouts then you, and I, have no place to judge her. She didn't say she was being pushed. She didn't say she was pushed beyond limits. She actually said she did the smaller jump, though was a little wobbly, she was unsure about the jump she would eventually build up to and wanted exercises and advice from people how to do that properly. So where does that equate to being extreme or being pushed beyond reasonable limits? It doesn't. Its actually showing her trainers are taking it carefully, starting her small and having her work up to the 24 inch. You're putting your bias against Crossfit on her comments.
  • LuluGirl140
    LuluGirl140 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I have a love/hate relationship with box jumps. I agree with GeekyGirlLyn. It's mostly mental. Keep doing the height you're doing now until you feel confident. Try the 24" every now and then. You know your body. Listen to it, and before you know it you'll clear the 24" no problem. I was the exact same way. I was too scared to try the next biggest one, until my coach (who is absolutely wonderful) asked me when I was going to graduate to the next one. That was all I needed to try it. And guess what? I cleared it. Be confident, but most importantly listen to your body. You CAN do it. Maybe not now, but you will train your body to do it soon. Get it!!!!