Rules for fruit and veggies?

Options
Are they ok to eat even if you are already at your calorie goal? I'm really craving some pineapple but I don't want it to affect my diet.

Replies

• AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    At 1200 a day, you've got plenty of wiggle room for healthy fruits & veggies. Go for it! :smile:
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    Fruits and veggies have calories just like everything else. As long as you're under your calorie goal, it doesn't matter if you eat 10 calories of peanut butter, beer, frozen squid, or celery... it's still a calorie.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    They have calories like anything else, so of course they will put you over. Especially something as sweet as pineapple. Find a way to fit them in or exercise to gain some calories to eat more maybe? 1200 is probably too low as it is, honestly. But that wasn't your question so I'll leave it alone.
  • crystalflame
    crystalflame Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    You should be eating a lot more than 1200 cals anyway - I think you'll see better results and feel better with at least 1600 cals. And you need more fruit and veg, your body needs the micronutrients they give you.
  • anifani4
    anifani4 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Checked your diary. You have NO veggies or fruits for the day, no wonder you have a craving. Eat a serving of pineapple. It won't put you over by all that much and will add nutrition. One serving is under 100 calories and gives you good amounts of Vit C and E and some potassium too.
  • Car0lynnM
    Car0lynnM Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Eat them up YUM!! Definitely go for it.
  • zaph0d
    zaph0d Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    The rules are exactly the same as they are for jelly donuts. You eat it, you log it.
  • SunKissed1989
    SunKissed1989 Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    You can never have too much fruit and veg in my opinion.

I hate it when my fruit bowl gets empty, I especially love it when it's multicoloured - apples, pears, oranges, bananas, a lovely rainbow of fruit...ok, I'm getting carried away now :tongue:

Also, as people have already said, you're only eating 1200 calories so you've got plenty of room for some pineapple - enjoy it! Zero fat as well as awesome micronutrients :smile:
  • IslandDreamer64
    IslandDreamer64 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Wow, you had 3 sandwiches? Where's the fruit? Where's the veggies? Where's the nutritional stuff?
  • SuffolkSally
    SuffolkSally Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    It will put you over for the day if you're at your calorie goal already - but it doesn't matter too much if you're over one day, you can always be a litlle under another time - it's the average that counts.

It might help to plan your day so you've got some fruit in if it's something you crave, and maybe allow some extra calories for snacks.

Good luck!
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    i limit myself to two servings of fruit a day, but i eat all the non-starchy vegitables as i want and i dont count their calories, their nutritional benefits far outweigh the few calories they add.
  • BelindaBinny
    Options
    You need to add more veggie's and fruit. If your diary today is typical of what you eat then you should reconsider swapping out some for some fruit and veg and you can often eat more if you do!!! Think minimum 5 a day (ratio of 3 veg to 2 fruit) ideally go for 6 or 7!!!

If you want a bit of pineapple then have it, you need it!!

Good luck xx
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    'No ATM' is always a good rule.
  • amandacheryl
    amandacheryl Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback! U guys rock :)
  • Nancy_hc
    Nancy_hc Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Some fruits are higher in suagr than others - still nothing compared to candy of course. Pineapple is one of those fruits - but it is a great source of Fiber and Vitamin C! Note: if you feel a cold coming on eat some pineapple to keep it away! They have more Vitamin C thank oranges! :D

You're getting more for your buck as far as calories are concerned if you're eating lots of veggies and substituting your sweets for fruits. Just staying withing your calorie goal and you'll be good! =D
  • quill16
    quill16 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I stay away from fruit as I was prediabetic, but eat tons of veggies. I eat fruit on occassion if i am craving it. The veggies are enough to get my daily fiber and I have no problems
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    no one should ever be at 1200 calories.

http://theskinnyequation.blogspot.com/p/weight-loss-calculators.html

use this to figure out your BMR and TDEE.

your BMR is the bare minimum that you should be eating for your age, height, and weight. it is your basal metabolic rate, which is the bare minimum of calories you need if you were just laying in bed.

Your TDEE is your total daily energy expenditure. it is what you burn on a daily bases based on your activity.

i like to take my TDEE that is at lightly active and subtract 20-10% for weight loss. i don't add exercise calories, but i don't worry too much about going a few hundred calories over my daily goal, because it all balances out.

your body works on a weekly basis, rather then a day-to-day basis. this means that if you go over your calories by 500 on monday, and then on tuesday and wednesday you are under by 250 each day, it all balances out.
  • currierand
    currierand Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Wow, you had 3 sandwiches? Where's the fruit? Where's the veggies? Where's the nutritional stuff?

Can we STOP with the diary shame? If the OP had asked if 3 sandwhiches were bad then give your opinion. I think most of us know Nutrition 101, fruits and veg are generally "healthier" options than sandwhiches. But every time one of this questions is asked someone answers with "doesn't matter if the calories come from ice cream or broccoli" and someone says, "where's your protien, where's your dairy"? 3 sandwhiches? Call the food police! These conflicting statements are confusing at best.

My point is, unless someone specifically asks you to CRITIQUE thier diary, maybe you should should just enjoy the view from your own glass house first.
  • bgarrett06
    Options
    If you eat it count it
  • mag2906
    mag2906 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    They have calories like anything else, so of course they will put you over. Especially something as sweet as pineapple. Find a way to fit them in or exercise to gain some calories to eat more maybe? 1200 is probably too low as it is, honestly. But that wasn't your question so I'll leave it alone.

Last time I ate pineapple (raw), it had 48 cal in 100g (according to MFP). It wouldn't be a big deal in my opinion - especially if "going over" means going over 1200 cal by 100-200 cal.