Best time to give up smoking?

Options
13»

Replies

• pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    I have never smoked, but it might be worth your while to give up smoking and replace it with exercise and healthier food choices and/or portions. You are going to feel like crap anyway and the food and exercise will help you feel and live better.
  • dorianaldyn
    dorianaldyn Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Best time to quit smoking? Yesterday.

Along what others have said, I do know someone that goes for a run when he feels like smoking a cigarette. You can take a hurtful habit and turn it right around into a new, healthy habit!
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    When you have a change of schedule. A large part of smoking is the habit and triggers associated with your daily schedule.

If you don't have a vacation coming up, plan out next weekend in a totally new way. If you usually sleep in, get up and get out of the house for a walk in a park that you have never smoked in. If you smoke in your car, don't use the car all weekend. Have a non smoker pick you up and go to the movies...

Stay busy and have a healthy distraction for when the cravings hit - minty gum, an exta ten minutes on the treadmill...
  • rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,411 Member
    Options
    Right now. I quit cold turkey in 1976 (3pack day). Never regretted it.
  • cnash1303
    Options
    The correct answer is yesterday. Start by getting an e-cig, (i don't smoke... but i have) it's literally just like smoking. No chemicals except nicotine and no ACTUAL smoke, just water vapor, but it feels exactly the same.
  • PeriwinklePineapple
    Options
    I quit smoking almost three months ago, joined MFP the next day, and the gym the day after that. I think I used the gym, cooking healthy, and calorie counting to distract myself from smoking. That and gum ;-) But it's sticking, so while what works for one may not work for all, its been a good plan for me.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Go to the doctor, get Chantix....use for 7 days while smoking and then quit. Throw out everything that has to do with smoking. The ash trays, all your lights, have your car detailed, etc...

It was SO hard that first week. But I have now been smokefree for 15 days. I know I still have to work on it. But my motivation is when I stand in the store and someone walks up behind me who smokes. It is knowing I no longer smell like that!
  • Sweet_Pea0107
    Options
    In a perfect world sure RIGHT NOW seems like the right answer. Unfortunately real life isn't always that easy. Some people do well with going cold turkey and some people do not. I am one of those people that do not do well quiting cold turkey. I have tried but the withdrawls (especially the panic attacks) interfere with my work and family life. I am in the process of quiting. I am slowly tapering off the amount of nicotine I take in and decrease it every two weeks. Yes it will take longer but if I go cold turkey I know I will fail and then end up smoking even more. You definately need to quit but I would say have a plan in place, seek support from family and friends, pick a stop date and begin the journey to becoming a non smoker. Good luck.
  • Surreallia
    Options
    I have until Sunday to finish my last pack of smokes. Personally, finishing that pack will give me the satisfaction of knowing it's really my last one and it's time to move on.

Step one: Decide if you can breathe as easy as you'd like to. Try doing 40 vigorous jumping jacks and if you don't keel over, you're a science experiment.

Step two: Decide if you want to sleep better. Lack of oxygen due to poor lung capacity can interrupt your sleep and severely impact your energy levels.

Step three: Decide on how you want your overall health to affect every (and I mean EVERY) aspect of your life. You're looking for a positive way, no?

Step four: Pick your quit date, hold your head high and tell yourself why you're doing it. Write yourself a list and carry it with you. Maybe even write a couple paragraphs so that every time you want a smoke, you can read it out loud to yourself.. Then take a few deep breaths. After a couple minutes your craving should have already passed. Remember to get fresh air!

Step five: Review your reasons as well as go over all your handpicked tips every morning before you tackle your next day of not smoking. It WILL get easier. Visualization and positive thinking are the most powerful tool you have.

And of course, for extra help, find a support group if needed. Best of luck with your endeavor dear!
  • sierraleigh1
    sierraleigh1 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Quit when you are ready! I have quit so many times over the years only to go back. I am 8 days quit now and am doing really well this time because i finally made my mind up to do it. Best way is to keep busy and "try" to eat healthy. I sure haven't ate clean since i quit but i figure if it helps me get over the worst part, i can lose what i gain later. But stay active, it helps a lot to keep your mind off of the cravings! Good Luck!
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,306 Member
    Options
    My husband who used to be a chain smoker and is overweight. told me it is easier to quit smoking..because you have to eat. For him..it is harder to lose weight because he has to still eat food. Smoking? just quit..it will impact your health in a great way..then tackle your weight loss.
  • holliesmith9484
    holliesmith9484 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I quit today. I bought the nicotine patches and bought some sugar free mints and gum.. (remember, these have calories you have to log..lol) I also cut up a bunch of veggies to snack on when I get the urge to smoke. Also, somebody else had a good idea..when you want to smoke, get up and go run and it will remind you why you are quitting.

Good Luck!!
  • amyfliesalot
    amyfliesalot Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Now! Don't light the first one tomorrow. You'll feel SO much better when you work out, and in a few days, you'll notice that you really can breathe easier. And think of how much money you'll save- they are so stinking expensive anymore. Can you tell I quit in June?...
  • foleyshirley
    foleyshirley Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    Now. Right now!
  • Jen800
    Jen800 Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    NOW!

Now is the best time. You need to quit smoking in order to be healthy, so get on it!
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    Now; replace your smoking with exercise. You want to lose weight to get healthy... Why not make it a total change. Best wishes on reaching your fitness goals!
  • gingerveg
    gingerveg Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    The best time is right now.
  • 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
    Tomorrow;)
  • reneepugh
    reneepugh Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    I had the same reasons for quitting. My kids were little and I didn't want them to grow up seeing me smoke and having to smell me. So, it was hard, but the only way is cold turkey. But, you have to focus on something else for a while. Dieting might be helpful if you can get focused on it. If not, find something that you can get a little obsessed with that isn't bad for you. Maybe it's having coffee with friends or knitting, but find something before so that you don't go crazy. BTW, the first month will be extremely difficult. The first two weeks are detox and getting it out of your system, the second two are just breaking the habit. You can do this. If you need a friend who knows, you can friend me if you like. Good luck.
  • mowree
    mowree Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I quit 3 years ago (was my first New Year's resolution) and don't regret it at all. I haven't missed it ANY. Sooo glad I quit. I gained a little but have almost lost it all now. I'm down to my last few pounds. It was totally worth it. I'm older and supposedly losing weight is much harder at my age. So if I can do it...you certainly can. Good luck to you. Will be the best thing you do for yourself and your kids.