40 something and trying not to give up on losing weight!

Options
2»

Replies

• GurleyGirl524
    GurleyGirl524 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    log EVERY THING!! That is what really taught me to get the most bang for my buck "caloriewise". I could eat a whopper meal for the whole day, or I could make healthy choices, eat even MORE food and be full. You can do this. Feel free to add me. I have a wonderful support group with my MFP friends. Don't get sucked into a lot of the BS in the forums. Keep it basic, calories in; calories out. Try to avoid as much processed and packaged food as you can. I know they are a part of life, but try to limit them. I did not start this process until I was 40 something as well, so I know it can be done.
  • danie11e2012
    Options
    I have been overweight for most of my life and have tried several times, with little success, to lose. Last year I joined a program run by a doctor and suggested by my doctor. It is a support group, complete with a fitness guru, a nutritionist that runs the group, great office staff and wonderfully supportive group members! It is not a weight loss group but a weight management group. I never thought a name could be so positive but it is. We not only learn about food but we also learn about ourselves and what (emotions, boredom, happiness, marriage, kids, etc...) makes us gain and lose weight. A major lesson was not to call a slip up "cheating" and not to scold myself. Take it at face value; you slipped! Tomorrow, or even immediately, start again. You will be amazed what this does for your mind. Keep at it and once the pounds start coming off and you start feeling better I bet you will feel driven to keep going. Good luck!
  • krzykatmomma60610
    Options
    I would have to say one of the more important derailments for losing weight is our tendency to focus on the things that we aren't doing right. Sometimes we can be our own worst enemies with setting impossible standards for ourselves. One thing that we all need to do more is to be mindful of our NSV's (none scale victories) every single day to offset all of that. As a fellow 40 something I can totally relate to your weight loss past...I'm in a similar boat. But last year was last year and this will be our year :)
  • alifer
    alifer Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    I was on here in 2011 and lost a good amount. Then had a few major changes in my life and quit logging. I just started again. My advice-- log everything that goes into your mouth. Be completely honest with yourself including portion sizes and calories burned. I had a decent day today, but was craving chocolate tonight. I had some Hershey's, which made me go a few calories over. It's not the end of the world, tomorrow is a new day.
  • GiGiBeans
    GiGiBeans Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    Hi, welcome, this is a great place to be when you're ready to lose weight.

I'm 48 and have lost and regained (and then some) the same 10 lbs again and again. This time around I'm down over 30 and it's not coming back. I've gotten rid of the junk in my diet and now love to exercise.

Stick around, make friends - the enthusiasm here is contagious :-)
  • LadyIntrepid
    LadyIntrepid Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    I just turned 50 and haven't been this fit in many years. You just have to commit to it and do it. (And have fun with the process!)
  • DeeBee042
    DeeBee042 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    You can do it! This site does wonders for motivation. Log your food and exercise everyday, it really does help. :) and if you have a blow out then don't get down on yourself. Everyone has slip ups, the test is not allowing that slip up to continue on for days. Good luck :smile: