Dr. Oz Weight Loss Aids - Has anyone tried any of these???

Options
13»

Replies

• clarkeje1
    clarkeje1 Posts: 1,638 Member
    Options
    I've heard bad things about Dr. Oz
  • atthompson27
    atthompson27 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Going to get some veggies today. I need to find recipes I think because there are only a few I like & I don't want to get bored.
  • SuffolkSally
    SuffolkSally Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I'm always sorry we don't have Dr OZ in the UK, because I do enjoy a good comedy show.
  • amberlykay1014
    amberlykay1014 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry you spent your money on his stuff... I hope you are able to send it back.
  • MsDover
    MsDover Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    IF it has the name Dr.Oz associated with it, stay away.

basically this. Oz is a "I'll sponsor whatever you want if you pay me" schill. There are no miracles. Just hard work, calorie deficits, determination, and patience.

Success doesn't come in pill/supplement form and you can't buy it, you earn it.

100 years ago Dr. Oz would have been selling snake oil out of the back of a wagon.
  • thesevolatiletimes
    thesevolatiletimes Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I tried the Konjac Root he recommended. I know most of these supplements don't work but since he said his wife swears by it I thought I'd try it. ... I could always return it if it didn't work. I got the brand PGX. In the beginning it was a miracle supplement for me. It made me feel full, even at night! So full I didn't want to eat at all, not even for flavor. And as an added bonus it took away my sugar/carb cravings!! In fact, it's the way I started finally losing weight again. That was last January. I lost 25 lbs. A few months into it, it didn't make me full anymore somehow but I had changed my habits and I didn't eat as many sugary foods and snacks anymore. When people saw I had lost weight (at my age it's not easy) and I told them Konjac Root gave me an incredible push they all wrote it down. Not sure how it helped them though.

Since PGX was no longer helping I took the Green Coffee Bean Extract (by NutriGold). That made me somewhat full, but not like the Konjac Root did in the beginning. Also, although it helped with fullness, it didn't take away the desire to eat, (for flavor) which somehow the Konjac did. There is a Green Coffee Bean Extract now on QVC that has what Dr Oz said to look for. Svetol plus at least 45% chlorogenic acids. (but that one is only 200 mg per capsule). Mine has the chlorogenic acids, but I don't see any indications it had Svetol in it. Also, on a recent show he said that Green Coffee Extract helps you burn fat, I thought it made you feel full, so now I'm going to try it again.

I don't depend completely on supplements but they have helped me. For the naysayers on Dr Oz, I know that sometimes he comes out of left field with some of these supplements or advice, but most times I think he is right on. I know that for myself watching his show keeps me focused on my desire to get healthy and fit.

Now I'm all set and ready to go for my next 25-50 lbs!

This is what bothers me about Dr. Oz - the things he recommend are rather exaggerated, and/or incredibly biased interpretations of crappy studies. He tends to take an idea, and RUN with it. (A good example of this, is the part of 5HTP the OP mentioned. 5HTP helps people's DEPRESSION, which is often tied to their APPETITE. Long story short, 5HTP helps you lose weight if you're over-eating/not eating properly due to your depressive symptoms, it's not a weight loss cure. The same could be said about any other depression treatment, holistic or not [SAMe, St. John's Wort, Prozac, Celexa, etc.] They all affect your serotonin levels, which in turn affect your emotions and/or your appetite.)

Konjac root contains a type of insoluable fiber, which is why it fills you up. So yes, it helps you 'lose weight because you're full faster', but really that same result could be found in any food with a moderate amount of fiber - including the psyllium fiber supplements you buy at shop rite, or the crazy high amount of fiber found in beans. Seeing how foods with fiber AND protein AND/OR fat are much more filling than fat alone and provide you with more energy (since fat is the more calorie dense macronutrient), you're better off just eating food. Whole grains (not processed/broken down) and vegetables are forms of insoluble fiber as well, which provide nutrition, as opposed to just fiber. ((:

If you want the appetite suppressing effects of caffeine, eat properly and have a cup of coffee (you can get green coffee as well, if you look hard enough). Stop paying so much for scams, and start working towards not only educating yourself about nutrition, but ways to implement those changes in your life, if you want to see any worthwhile difference in your life and health.
  • Tabitha_Faye
    Options
    Dr Oz is a quack

My thoughts exactly.
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    I'm not a fan of Dr Oz - but I know he has amazing credentials and I also believe he sincerely means well.

He's a cardiothoracic surgeon. That doesn't give him many qualifications for selling snake oil.
  • keem88
    keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    lol i wouldn't do anything dr oz suggests unless he promotes to ignore what he says, then i am all for that
  • VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    I had no idea that the Dr. Oz was such a product pusher until I was off from work and saw his show a couple times. I do use the glucomman but not because of his show. I bought it to make protein ice cream and it was one of the ingredients. Since a little goes a long way I do use it in my smoothies and oatmeal since I have it on hand.
  • thesevolatiletimes
    thesevolatiletimes Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I'm not a fan of Dr Oz - but I know he has amazing credentials and I also believe he sincerely means well.

He's a cardiothoracic surgeon. That doesn't give him many qualifications for selling snake oil.

THANK YOU. I know a few people who have had Dr. Oz as a part of their treatment, since he practiced in my state. To be quite frank, from what I've heard, he sounds just like every other surgeon. I don't understand why anybody with a brain would take his show seriously.

Yeah he's a surgeon....but by no means does that also qualify him as a nutritionist, or really any other sort of physician (including holistic, as holistic medicine has a separate set of credentials). After seeing the diets, products, and lifestyle choices he promotes, I wouldn't even trust him with my heart or lungs.

He seems to be a better actor, than anything else. JUS' SAYIN'.