Craming it down my throat

Options
So, now that your attention has been caught by a semi-lewd topic title, I have a question. I just got diagnosed with strep today and I feel really $hitty. I haven't been able to eat much and what I have has been what's available as I haven't gone grocery shopping since I returned from the holidays.....so sugar basically (you can read my diary if you're so inclined). I'm really trying to do this whole "eat more, eat protein, lift like a BAMF" thing, but that probably won't work as I feel so bad. So, my question is, is it worth trying to cram food down my poor sore and swollen throat or should I let today go? I've been working hard on my muscles and it makes me sad to think of them rotting away. I've eaten only 6 grams of protein today. Should I try and choke down a protein bar or would it be a waste as I haven't been lifting?

Replies

• AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    One day (or a few) isn't going to kill months of progress.

And talking about cramming protein down your throat .....
  • Emma_Problema
    Emma_Problema Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    sigh. Really am I going to have to bump this? BUMP
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    Sigh, was that not the answer you wanted? It was the right answer.

What do you want to hear so someone can come along and tell you that.
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    You... you really bumped it 13 minutes after you posted it?
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Your body is going to be concentrating on getting better, not building muscle.

Just rest for a day or 2, you aren't going to undo all your hard work in a short space of time.
  • holly1283
    holly1283 Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    Think of it this way.....your body will be working very hard to get itself well again. Eventhough there is no way to calculate calories burned, your body does work hard ot get better. Don't worry about the food for now. Light and easy and lots of fluids.
  • ravenchick
    ravenchick Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    People get sick for a few days and lose a few pounds. It happens all the time. Just eat when you feel better. It's not going to harm you.
  • Emma_Problema
    Options

Well, I've been on mfp long enough to realize that it's better to get multiple answers on here. No offense to the lovely lady who replied to me but there are a lot of people on here with no clue what they're talking about. So yes, I bumped to solicit more answers.

****STAFF NOTE: Post has been edited due to violations of guideline #17****
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/welcome/guidelines
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    If I don't feel like eating, I don't.
    Most of the time I feel like eating all. the. time. Not good.
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options

Well, I've been on mfp long enough to realize that it's better to get multiple answers on here. No offense to the lovely lady who replied to me but there are a lot of people on here with no f*ckin' clue what they're talking about. So yes, I bumped to solicit more answers. Bite me.

The answer she gave was correct, muscles don't atrophy that quckly, nothing significant will happen over the course of a few days
  • Emma_Problema
    Options

The answer she gave was correct, muscles don't atrophy that quckly, nothing significant will happen over the course of a few days

Thanks, although I'm not really worried about my muscles atrophying. I do realize that takes months of being bedridden. I'm more worried that as I'm not eating much of anything and almost no protein, that the calorie deficit is going to come from my lean mass that I've been trying like hell to preserve and not from my fat stores.
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options

Thanks, although I'm not really worried about my muscles atrophying. I do realize that takes months of being bedridden. I'm more worried that as I'm not eating much of anything and almost no protein, that the calorie deficit is going to come from my lean mass that I've been trying like hell to preserve and not from my fat stores.

That's exactly the same thing.

Atrophy -

1. A wasting or decrease in size of a body organ, tissue
    2. A wasting away, deterioration, or diminution
  • NaomiJFoster
    NaomiJFoster Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    When you're really sick, all the rules go out the window and the only thing that matters is getting well. Your body needs nutrients to heal itself, but your throat needs a rest from swallowing and talking. Do what feels best, eat some broth, oatmeal, jello, yogurt. Who cares about counting the calories when all that you really want to do is curl up under a blanket. The weights will still be there tomorrow. Let everything go and just let yourself be sick and work on being not sick.
  • Emma_Problema
    Options

Atrophy -

I honestly am not remembering my physiology enough to argue with you, but I thought there was a difference between atrophy from lack of use and the break down of lean muscle mass for energy. I mean, people lose muscle mass when they run away the lbs but aren't eating enough and don't lift, but they still use those muscles every day. If you've ever had DOMS you know how much we use those muscles, we just don't use them to the point of exhaustion.

But I digress. Thanks for the help, guys! I'll focus on getting better and just eat what and when I feel like I can. Push liquids and sleep yadda yadda. I appreciate the input! :)
  • vmekash
    vmekash Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    The results of your hard work will not disappear if you take a break for a few days (even a couple weeks won't end it all). Get well. Then pick up where you left off. Just try to eat well when you're up to eating at all.
    No worries. :)
  • LadyOfOceanBreeze
    LadyOfOceanBreeze Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    make a protein smoothie?
  • whitneyps7
    whitneyps7 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    One day (or a few) isn't going to kill months of progress.

And talking about cramming protein down your throat .....

hahah omg!!
  • chocl8girl
    chocl8girl Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    tumblr_mf4784xAFL1qdlh1io1_500.gif
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

Atrophy -

I honestly am not remembering my physiology enough to argue with you, but I thought there was a difference between atrophy from lack of use and the break down of lean muscle mass for energy. I mean, people lose muscle mass when they run away the lbs but aren't eating enough and don't lift, but they still use those muscles every day. If you've ever had DOMS you know how much we use those muscles, we just don't use them to the point of exhaustion.

But I digress. Thanks for the help, guys! I'll focus on getting better and just eat what and when I feel like I can. Push liquids and sleep yadda yadda. I appreciate the input! :)

To reword the answer how you may prefer. Your muscle will not catabolize if you do not hit your protein for a day or two and therefore will not atrophy or diminish.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    Irony, at it's finest.
This discussion has been closed.