What makes abs look different?

Options

Replies

• shorty35565
    shorty35565 Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    The lady in picture # 2 is Dana Torres the Olympic swimmer. I don't know how old she was in that picture but probably much younger because her hair is very short and now is medium length. She is now in the mid 40s and still showing killer abs, she swims a lot and does a heavy work out at the gym and has a very special routine. She was interviewed in CNN when she was trying to qualify for the last summer Olympics, and she described her routine and showed her abs. Sadly she didn’t make it; she lost her last chance for a place with the female Olympic team by 0.4 of a second. What about that?

But I also noticed that the last two pictures show ladies with very little difference (in inches) between their waist and their hips. Not a pear or hour glass shape for sure. So in my opinion, besides heavy training, genetics has a lot to do with their physic.

So its harder for ppl with hourglass figures to get 6 packs? I'm an hourglass with a longer torso, so all this makes me nervous tht I might not ever get abs :(
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    Dana Torres is 5'11, btw.
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    The lady in picture # 2 is Dana Torres the Olympic swimmer. I don't know how old she was in that picture but probably much younger because her hair is very short and now is medium length. She is now in the mid 40s and still showing killer abs, she swims a lot and does a heavy work out at the gym and has a very special routine. She was interviewed in CNN when she was trying to qualify for the last summer Olympics, and she described her routine and showed her abs. Sadly she didn’t make it; she lost her last chance for a place with the female Olympic team by 0.4 of a second. What about that?

But I also noticed that the last two pictures show ladies with very little difference (in inches) between their waist and their hips. Not a pear or hour glass shape for sure. So in my opinion, besides heavy training, genetics has a lot to do with their physic.

So its harder for ppl with hourglass figures to get 6 packs? I'm an hourglass with a longer torso, so all this makes me nervous tht I might not ever get abs :(

I don't want to discourage anybody. I consider myself a mix fruit: 1/2 pear and 1/2 apple. I have hips and boobs, small at the shoulders and at the waist, short trunk, and not so small hips and thighs. And I am barely 5 feet.

Even when I was younger, which I am not anymore: sad:, and I had a nicer stomach without the scars of a blotched hysterectomy incision, I never had ultra developed abs, and not even a 2 packs, just a flat one like the lady in the first picture.

I have seen many photos of ladies with great abs, but as long as I remember, they didn't have a curvy figure with a small waist and wider hips like me. I would love to see a picture that proves me wrong.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Our genetics dictate our ultimate potential, but there's one thing that applies to everybody: With hard work and dedication, you're capable of looking the best YOU can possibly be. Don't compare yourself to others - compare yourself to YOU and take pride in every little improvement.

In those pics, part of it is a difference in bodyfat; part of it is most likely a difference in the workout routines they've done to get where they are - and probably the biggest part is genetics.
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    I have seen many photos of ladies with great abs, but as long as I remember, they didn't have a curvy figure with a small waist and wider hips like me. I would love to see a picture that proves me wrong.
    Jaime Koeppe got relatively lean in some shoots and is 35-24-40.

1zl6p21.jpg
  • shorty35565
    shorty35565 Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options

I don't want to discourage anybody. I consider myself a mix fruit: 1/2 pear and 1/2 apple. I have hips and boobs, small at the shoulders and at the waist, short trunk, and not so small hips and thighs. And I am barely 5 feet.

Even when I was younger, which I am not anymore: sad:, and I had a nicer stomach without the scars of a blotched hysterectomy incision, I never had ultra developed abs, and not even a 2 packs, just a flat one like the lady in the first picture.

I've honestly never seen an hourglass women with abs either. I was wondering why. Now I guess I know. Well the 1st woman still has a lovely stomach. I will just try as hard as I can & whatever I end up with when I'm 17% BF is what I'll have to take.
  • BonaFideUK
    BonaFideUK Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Pretty simple. The first one has low Body fat but doesnt put in hours at the gym. The other two have low body fat but also work out, thats why their abs are so defined. You need roughly 10% or less BF to see abs. No matter how much effort you put into your abs its all a waste of time if you have higher than 10% BF because you almost certainly wont see them.
  • Rtossas
    Rtossas Posts: 29
    Options
    Bodyfat + Genetics

I couldn't agree more with this statement, but there's ways to worked a different type of core appearance. It's simple girl one does mostly body movement ab type exercises therefore having a more toner core appearance, where as girl 2 does more weighted core strengthening exercises therefore having a more muscular appearance.
  • abrahamsitososa
    abrahamsitososa Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    The second one looks freaking nasty on a female. She's either on steroids or a ton of bodybuilding supplements. The first woman looks a lot healthier.
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    Options
    The one in the middle has low BF and does a lot of lifting. The other 2 are on the low end of BF but haven't put in a lot of hours in the gym. The average woman even with low BF doesn't have a visible 6 pack.
    Ditto!
  • metalloz
    metalloz Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I'm hoping to look similar to number 1 but im pear shaped so its a bit of a struggle.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Besides what has been said, the person must need adequate lean muscle mass in order to allow the muscles to show. So it may require to be more in the middle to higher end of the acceptable weight range.
  • crazy4lulu
    crazy4lulu Posts: 822 Member
    Options
    the kichen makes all the difference... and i dont mean working them out in there. i mean what you eat makes the difference!!!
  • abrahamsitososa
    abrahamsitososa Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    The woman in the middle has a very vidible 6pack but if you look at the bottom it looks like it's popping out too much. Possible inflammation of some ogans imo.
  • DollyPocket
    DollyPocket Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    How do you lower your body fat???
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    How do you lower your body fat???
    Ideally a moderate deficit and weight training to preserve your lean body mass.
  • DollyPocket
    DollyPocket Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Thank you but how do you work out your deficit? sorry I'm new to all this :)
  • elsinora
    elsinora Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    I was gonna say, the length of your torso definitely plays into it. I have to say, like with me, I don't have a super low body fat percentage but my middle line in my abs is not really visible, but you can see my obliques a lot more... and I have a pretty long torso (I'm 5'8"). And I do lifting and ab work and no cardio and I'm eating at maintenance. Sooooo basically what I'm saying is I think some is genetic.

resize2_zpsf20af029.jpg

You are my inspiration!
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    all of a sudden i want some waffles

I literally laughed out loud at this!

I have zero to add at the moment, I don't know where my abs are yet.. lol
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the responses! This is something I've always been curious about. I'm somewhere between a pear and an hourglass shape, so I don't think getting abs will be that easy for me, but I'll keep trying! I eat a calorie deficit, lift weights and do some cardio.