anyone have any success juicing?

Options
2»

Replies

• lamby284
    lamby284 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I tried it for a while...I didn't lose weight, but when do I ever? The juicer we got was a pain to clean and the amount of vegetables needed got kinda pricey. I would stick with frozen berries, some juice, and assorted greens (kale, spinach, ) in a blender. It is virtually the same thing, cheaper, and you get the fiber in the produce too (a juicer will take out all the fiber)
  • CandiesAndSweets
    CandiesAndSweets Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    A juicer is an excellent idea. You don't have to start hard core and just do the juicing for an 'x' amount of days. If your daily routine; be that at work or around home, is physical, you will be very, very tired. Instead, make the juice a substitute for one of your meals everyday for a week and see how you like it. You'll definitely notice the difference in how you feel.
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    I tried it for a while...I didn't lose weight, but when do I ever? The juicer we got was a pain to clean and the amount of vegetables needed got kinda pricey. I would stick with frozen berries, some juice, and assorted greens (kale, spinach, ) in a blender. It is virtually the same thing, cheaper, and you get the fiber in the produce too (a juicer will take out all the fiber)

A juicer only removed the insoluble fiber.. the soluble fiber remains. For me smoothies are great when they're sweet and have some milk or yogurt in them and then maybe a bit of greens.... but I could not imagine drinking a celery/cucumber/kale/lemon/kale/ginger/apple smoothie.. YUCK.

As for being a pain to clean, I hear ya on that. My old juicer collected dust because it was terrible to clean and produced a very wet and wasteful pulp. My current juicer is a breeze to clean and the pulp comes out like sawdust!
  • Jen800
    Jen800 Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    Quick fixes aside, I just don't 'get' juicing.

I mean, smoothies are where it's at.

OWPfv.gif

Oh my gosh, what a shock to see bunny on this thread! I love her on youtube :) Do you watch her too?
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    After reading this thread I've lost all hope.
  • NeverGivesUp
    NeverGivesUp Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    Juicing has really worked for me getting the last bit of weight off. My weight was stagnant for months and months. My nails and hair are so strong and my skin in amazing. It is pure vitamins and your body doesn't have to work to absorb them. No matter how you look at it, getting weight off is hard and harder for some than others. On Tuesday I will have been jucing for an entire month. It has been fantastic and not the quick fix some might think it is. I plan to do this off and on throughout my life because it makes me feel amazing.
  • ZenDivaDP
    ZenDivaDP Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I've been juicing for breakfast for the past week - kale, spinach, celery, carrot, broccoli, and apple. Feel great drinking it. I even think my skin looks better.

I also sometimes make smoothies with yogurt and fruit for breakfast. Then again yesterday I had a croissant with egg and cheddar - though I shared it and only ate half. Baby steps!

Doing my best to stay within 1200 calories a day and think the support on this site is wonderful!

Good luck to all of us in 2013!

:smooched:
  • aorech
    aorech Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I have a breville JE98XL and I know it is a centrifugal one and not a masticating but I wanted to make sure I love it before I spend over 300 dollars, and I sure do love it. For me I would not be eating the veggies without the juicing so its better than nothing. I would never eat kale, celery and a whole cucumber in one day!

it is great and I feel awesome
  • Kersmudgekins
    Kersmudgekins Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I just bought a juicer a Breville juice fountain elite. I haven't used it yet but I too watched hungry for change. I don't plan on fasting, I just want to get more nutrients in my husband and my diets. FB friends liked Breville and said to go for the higher end models. This one as a separate area for the pulp that you can put a bag into for easier cleaning. It also as a bigger opening so things don't need to be chopped as fine as some other models.
  • booknut2
    booknut2 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I bought a juicer right after Christmas. I've been juicing daily and substituting juice for 1-2 meals a day. I feel great.

I weighed in on Friday for a new baseline after the holidays. I'll see where I'm at this next Friday.
  • SouthGippyGirl
    SouthGippyGirl Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I've been juicing on and off since I first saw Fat, Sick & Nearly Dead (available to watch free on youtube)
    I am currently on day 6 of a 10 day Juice only reboot and I have lost 2.2kgs in 5days.

I have a page following my journey on FB if you want to know more PM me.

I will be juicing on and off for the rest of my life as I'm not a huge fan of vegetables and this way I get more than ever.

I can't wait to buy a slow juicer!
  • spacreek13
    Options
    Where can I get some good juicing recipes?
  • Missjulesdid
    Options
    Where can I get some good juicing recipes?

www.jointhereboot.com
  • tipsy351
    tipsy351 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I started a juice fast three days ago. I too watched fat sick and nearly dead and hungry for change, if you like those two you should check out forks over knives it's an awesome movie. Anyways, my husband and I have both been doing the juice fast. So far he's lost six lbs and I've lost 3lbs. I'm not too worried about it though because my pain levels are dropping signifigantly and I'm recovering from activity much faster. I'm also hardly hungry at all. The only negative side effect I've found is that I'm super emotional and cry at the drop of a hat. Other than that I feel great!
  • Rema0012
    Options
    No Magic Bullet
    Meal replacements are no magic bullet. As with most diets, the reason people who stop using meal replacements regain their weight is because they return to a higher caloric intake. Plus using meal replacements may not teach you how to make healthy choices about food and exercise that will help you maintain your weight loss over time. Meal replacements can also be expensive and may not provide all the nutrients you need.

One reason as to why diets often do not work is that they are temporary interventions and do not address the issues really at hand: what is causing a person to eat a certain way and why? Most diets, for instance, prescribe certain eating habits that you follow for a specific period. Yet once that period ends, you are left to battle with your old eating patterns. Although you may have lost weight, you did not learn anything about nutrition, nor were you taught how to modify your old eating habits to maintain the weight you have achieved.

www.choosemyplate.gov
  • ljb82
    ljb82 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I'm starting to get interested in juicing after reading this thread. Does anyone have any recommendations of different, healthy juices to make? We have a juicer (and never used it). I need some ideas.... :)
  • Missjulesdid
    Options
    I'm starting to get interested in juicing after reading this thread. Does anyone have any recommendations of different, healthy juices to make? We have a juicer (and never used it). I need some ideas.... :)

Here is a nice recipe for mean green.. I use only ONE apple to reduce calories, but if you're just starting out you'll need the sweetness of 2.

2 granny smith apples
    1 cucumber
    4 cellery ribs
    1/2 to 1 lemon
    3 to 8 leaves of kale or some other green such as collards, spinach or turnip greens.
    1 thumb size piece of ginger (start with less.. ginger takes getting used to)

You need the lemon to balance out the bitter from the greens and then the sweet from the apples helps balance out the sour.. If you have calories to spare, add an orange, it really kicks up the sweetness.. also you can put some stevia to balance out the sour. If you're just starting out use fewer kale leaves. they do take getting used to.

Here's a nice sweet recipe.. this juice is like a dessert to me:

1 pound carrots- peel them if you want to reduce bitterness
    2 oranges
    2 granny smith or pink lady apples
    1 thumb of ginger
    1 cup ripe strawberries.
    1 peeled cucumber

ZOMG! so yummy, but lots of natural sugars from the carrots and fruits.

Spiderman juice: This is my 5 year old nephew's favorite juice. I'm not sure why he calls it spiderman juice though! He actually climbs up on a kitchen chair makes it himself in my sister's omega horizontal juicer!

1 apple
    1 orange
    3 carrots
    1 cucmber
    3 kale leaves
    and a just enough of a piece of a beet to give it a nice maroon color.

General tips: If you want to reduce calories in juice add more cucumber. Cucumbers have only 23 calories per cup of juice so it really helps reduce the per cup calorie count in juice.

Kale juice and dark green juices have quite a lot of calories, but that's because they are soooo nutrient dense and even have a fair amount of protein. Be careful at first with the green juices they take getting used to for both your palate and your tummy!
  • candoit14
    candoit14 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the recipes. I'm new to this juicing idea. It sounds so healthy. I don't think I want to do a fast but I would like to incorporate it into my daily program. It seems like so many ingredients. How many servings are for each drink? Like the carrott called for 1 pound. How do you know how many carbs & calories they are? One more question before I invest in a juicer are there any brands or places you would recommend to try to see if I like it. THANKS!!!
  • Missjulesdid
    Options
    Thanks for the recipes. I'm new to this juicing idea. It sounds so healthy. I don't think I want to do a fast but I would like to incorporate it into my daily program. It seems like so many ingredients. How many servings are for each drink? Like the carrott called for 1 pound. How do you know how many carbs & calories they are? One more question before I invest in a juicer are there any brands or places you would recommend to try to see if I like it. THANKS!!!

I love this guy.. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKT3JVXbhIg His information was really helpful for me in selecting a juicer. I've watched hours and hours of his videos about juicing and raw living. I'm not a raw foodist but I do like to incorporate more healthy foods into my diet.
    As for amounts.. it's hard to know.. some juicers are more efficient than others, some vegetables are juicier than others. The carrot one yielded about 40 ish ounces.. Which is enough for 3 people or if you store in an airtight container you can keep it until the next day. For me carrots leave the most wasted pulp but fortunately they're also very inexpensive.. I mean a pound of carrots is under a dollar.. even less if you buy in bulk.
    Also check out myphytos.com you can get recipes there and it estimates calories and yield.. To give you an idea of calories, cucmber juice is 26 calories per cup, carrot juice is 90 calories per cup. Apple juice is 100 calories per cup. Orange juice has 110 calories per cup., celery juice has 40 calories per cup, Kale juice has 113 calories per cup (but compared to apple juice it has less sugar and lots more protein)
  • meganhenkel
    Options
    Juicing is fantastic for you. Very healthy! I'm actually in the middle of a 20 day juice fast now. And it's not my first time juice fasting, I've gone on 10 day juice fasting before- this is my longest. Although, I'm not doing it to lose weight as much as I'm doing it to get a healthy mindset again. I've lost 10lbs this month (8 since starting the fast)- which I am confident I'll gain a minimum of 5 back. Juice fasting is different than blended smoothies because it takes the fiber out of the produce and allows your digestion to rest while your body works on healing itself. That's why there are headaches and different aches over your body when you fast- they're projects your body has put on the "back burner" so to speak. If you've seen "Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead," they mentioned a few people who were healed of either an autoimmune disease or migraines. If you watched that documentary, you'll also see how their complexion had changed- their skin was brighter and clearer. You've asked if I've had success in juicing, yes- regardless of losing weight, it has successfully convinced me to have a healthier lifestyle. :)