Quick calf pain help/advice please :3

Options
My calves hurt from double dose of yesterday's c25k (I did W5D2 and Day 3 yesterday because I surprisingly found day 2 kinda easy...) and 30 Day Shred(I'm on Level 1, Day 3) But... I really want to run. If I don't, I'll feel like I failed myself. But is it safe to run through the calf pain?

Replies

• plynn54
    plynn54 Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    not sure if its ok to run, but level 1 day 3 of the 30DS was when I was in the most pain lol
  • 777Gemma888
    777Gemma888 Posts: 9,578 Member
    Options
    My calves hurt from double dose of yesterday's c25k (I did W5D2 and Day 3 yesterday because I surprisingly found day 2 kinda easy...) and 30 Day Shred(I'm on Level 1, Day 3) But... I really want to run. If I don't, I'll feel like I failed myself. But is it safe to run through the calf pain?

I would rest them for a day or two. If the pain subsides then continue with your programme. Does it hurt to walk too? Sometimes pain goes away after running for a few minutes.
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    If you are just sore, it's probably OK. If you are having shooting pains, forget it. If you are just getting started you really need to keep workouts to 3 days a week - maybe 4.

If you are running, make sure you have PROPERLY FITTED RUNNING SHOES. Be sure to warm up 5 minutes, do some stretching for the calves and do a cool down and light stretch. Google calf stretch and you'll find videos.

Good luck.
  • 777Gemma888
    777Gemma888 Posts: 9,578 Member
    Options
    If you are just sore, it's probably OK. If you are having shooting pains, forget it. If you are just getting started you really need to keep workouts to 3 days a week - maybe 4.

If you are running, make sure you have PROPERLY FITTED RUNNING SHOES. Be sure to warm up 5 minutes, do some stretching for the calves and do a cool down and light stretch. Google calf stretch and you'll find videos.

Good luck.

^^This.
  • FlannelMothman
    FlannelMothman Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I have proper running shoes, and I do stretch after my run. C25k has a warmup 5min walk and cool down built in to the program. It does hurt to walk, but it doesn't hurt, per se... It feels stiff, or tight. Maybe I'm doing too much at once?

Also I wouldn't say I'm just starting out. I've been running for a month straight tomorrow, but I've been exercising daily (or almost) since September 25th.
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options

If you have DOMS light recovery exercise only is recommended so walking or maybe elliptical trainer not high impact, that area is temporarily weaker and at higher risk of injury.
  • Dubya182
    Dubya182 Posts: 6
    Options

Good luck.

What should you do if you have shooting pains?
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    A good exercise programme has built in rest days, because your body grows and repairs itself when you rest. taking a scheduled rest day is *not* failing yourself, nor is taking a rest day because you've worked extremely hard and it's time to give your body a little break, so it has time to repair itself. After a well timed rest day, you go back the next day that much stronger, because your body's had a chance to rebuild and repair itself.

So if you really feel you need a rest day, take one. Then the day after that get right back into it.

Light cardio on rest days will not interfere with the recovery process, as I understand it, that means walking intensity exercise. I'm not sure about running. Maybe it's okay, but I'd only advise it on a rest day if you miss running so much because you love it... if the only reason why you want to go running is because you feel guilty about taking a rest day, then you need to change your attitude towards rest days and understand that they're a really important part of the process of getting fit, strong and healthy, and achieving your goals.
  • bluebear_74
    bluebear_74 Posts: 179
    Options
    not sure if its ok to run, but level 1 day 3 of the 30DS was when I was in the most pain lol
    Level 1, Day 1 has render me with a limp. I usually do 40 minutes on the elliptical machine but because the 30DS works out muscle that usually don't get a working out, the muscle in the front of my thighs and chest hurt. I'm taking a break for a couple of days till it hurts less and trying to be good with my diet those days.