So what is a "healthy" deficit?

Options
lmkaks
lmkaks Posts: 119 Member
My goal (set my MFP) is 1820 a day. I have come in under that each day and am reading on these boards that is not a good thing. I thought the fewer calories the better? So what is a healthy deficit that won't sabotage your weight loss?

Replies

• AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure the exact numbers but something like

If you have to lose:
    100+ pounds - 2 pounds a week
    50-100 pounds - 1 pound a week
    50 or less -1 to 1/2 pound a week

The bigger you are, the bigger your deficit can be without the unhealthy side effects people talk about.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    The goal MFP gives you already has a deficit worked into it, so if you did no exercise, but ate to the calorie goal, you'd still be at a deficit and conceivably lose weight. That's why you are given more calories in your goal when you log exercise cals - burning more through exercise creates an even larger deficit - look at your NET cals for the day to show what your body is left with after exercise.

Depending on how much you have to lose, you don't want to create too big a deficit - food is fuel, and under eating can sabotage your efforts to lose the weight, giving your body a reason to store fat rather than burn it.
  • lmkaks
    lmkaks Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Thanks!
    So there is not set number as to when the deficit starts to have an alternative affect? Like if you are 400 calories under, etc.?
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    Thanks!
    So there is not set number as to when the deficit starts to have an alternative affect? Like if you are 400 calories under, etc.?

Nope. Some People who have a low body fat % do cut cycles at 250 deficit. It takes precision when you get to that point.