Need some support...

Options
For those who don't know me, I'm a retired model and dancer and live in New York. I have my BA in Rhetoric from NYU. I have CFICS (Chronic Fatigue Syndrome), so the two worst things for me are stress and overexertion. I'm experiencing both right now.

I just found out that my firm is making cuts in the NY office (when we were supposed to be having a huge expansion this year--I guess they were just talking about the lobby, not the staff). I took a pay-cut at the end of January just to keep my job. Now, it appears I'll be losing it anyway. I just got 1 week notice. (1 week?!? wtf?!?!?!?!!? aaahhhhhhh!!!)

New York is expensive. Our rent is shocking, but even little things like yogurt and laundry detergent cost more here. I'm worried about making rent and bills, etc. This is really sudden and I had next to no warning. The job market is also dead right now. It could take 6-8 months for me to find another job. But I love this friggin city with all my heart.

My fiance, who lives 1800 miles away, is begging me to move in with him, and it's a serious consideration. The cost of living is much lower there... and I was planning to move right before our wedding, anyway, but this is almost a year earlier than either of us had planned. We'd need a new apartment, and I don't drive... so many things to take under consideration, it makes our heads spin!

I'm going to take the weekend off--no cell phone, no computer, just yoga, long walks in the park and tons of thinking--and make the best decision I can.
Root for me, MFP friends! I'm gonna need all the support I can get, no matter what I choose.

Replies

• Garrettsmom
    Garrettsmom Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I will be praying for you. I know that God will lead you in the right direction.
  • boniekatie
    Options
    Take deep breath (or a dozen) and believe that it will all work out. It sounds like this is the perfect oportunity for you to make the move. It is hard to make changes especially when we are comfortable with the way things are going, Sometimes life throws us a curve to force us out of our comfort zzone and help us to make the change that we were resisting. It happened to me last summer and I am still not sure how it will all work out, but I know that this is where I belong right now. I think that these changes will actually take a lot of stress out of your life once you are on the side of them. I also think it will be better for your health. Just close your eyes and take the leap of faith, and remember you can always vacation in NYC.
  • FabulousFifty
    FabulousFifty Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    Bless your heart! Hang in there....there is a silver lining. But, you must look for it. It seems like you are not meant to be there right now. Listen to your heart and have faith. We are pulling for you!:heart:
  • youngs
    youngs Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Just listen to your heart:heart: and let God led you in the right direction..:wink: He will never let you down!! :cry: Good luck kido..and I am sure you will have the right decision made with the help of God!!:love:
  • sportsqueen32
    Options
    Good luck in your difficult decision making. I'm sure you have along list of pros and cons to staying in NYC. Maybe moving away for a while and rebuilding your life may be the answer, and both of you returning when you have better opportunities. I understand there is no where like NYC, but in the end your heart will lead you in the right direction.
  • shaggys
    shaggys Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Hey!I am so sorry,one weeks notice is just insane!
    NYC is so tough,can you sublet your apartment and stay with the fiance for awhile?
    You can surely get unemployment,not very glamorous,but my brother in law was laid off last year out there and still has money coming in every week-just a thought.
    You are a smart girl and I know you will pull through this.
    Good luck:flowerforyou:
  • StaceG1986
    Options
    I can only echo what the others have said, you have to think long and hard but in the end you will do what your heart tells you to do. These obstacles are here to make us stronger and what would life be without them?

Will be thinking of you over the weekend :flowerforyou:
  • rachi20024
    rachi20024 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    My prayers are with you, you can overcome any struggle presented to you as an opportunity.This is an opportunity for change and growth you can do this with the right attitude. I have faith in your ability to overcome:happy:
  • FrankyOsage
    Options
    Good Luck!! You will definitely be in my prayers!
  • penash
    penash Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Wow! That totally sucks. But, hopeless optimist that I am, I think this may be happening for a reason. I've noticed that sometimes God doesn't give us a light tap on the shoulder, he gives us a major kick in the behind to get us moving towards the direction we're supposed to go. I know it doesn't feel like it now, but I think this could be a good opportunity for you. Sometimes we all just need a fresh start. Hang in there!