Frozen veggies

Options
Any word on these guys? I cook usually once a day (putting milk in cereal doesn't count lol). I find frozen veggies to usually be way easier to use and I don't have to worry about them going bad. Just wondering if there's a big drop off in nutrition or maybe some added preservatives I should be looking to avoid. Thanks!

Replies

• AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    Fresh vegetables are the best, but I like frozen for the fact they do stay longer. However, I don't eat enough fresh vegetables to buy them and I only have a mini fridge so I buy LOTS of canned fruit and vegetables. I figure some is better then none.
  • Andreinne
    Options
    Canned and Frozen veggies are actually just as healthy as fresh, mostly because they get frozen or canned on site, as opposed to fresh, that can take a while before it reaches the aisles of your local supermarket.
    I remember reading something about this, can't remember where, but it was a good source, and it said something like what I wrote here.
  • bdamaster60
    bdamaster60 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    frozen vegetables generally have the same nutritional value as fresh. if you're concerned about preservatives, the vegetables that are 'fresh' in the supermarkets are sprayed with chemicals to preserve the colour so either way who cares. frozen is more convenient.
  • cherll
    cherll Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Andreinne may be correct on the freshness. The only thing with the canned and maybe on some of the frozen would be the sodium? I hope someone who knows more will answer this for you.
  • Nancy_hc
    Nancy_hc Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Rule of thumb I've always heard is go for fresh first, then frozen, lastly canned. Canned has lots of preservatives (typically). Frozen is typically flash frozen and you wont find any other ingredients in them (chek the bag!).

If you're lucky enough to have a fridge at work, I like to bring those steamable bags of veggies. I just heat them up and eat the whole bag. <3in' the Edamame with Sea Salt right now, yum!
  • desiv2
    desiv2 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I've heard frozen are just as healthy, canned can have a ton of sodium to watch out for. You can rinse it to take out some of the extra salt.
  • GarrettWilson
    GarrettWilson Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Makes no difference! You're still going to get the majority of your miconutrients and the calorie count is not going to change. Stick with what suits your life style. Good luck!
  • mtnxc
    mtnxc Posts: 15
    Options
    The steamfresh bags most the frozen veggies come in now have been a savior to me. Pop 'em in the microwave for 6 minutes or so, tend finish cooking/preparing other things...voila. They're perfect.
  • 1stday13
    1stday13 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Canned and Frozen veggies are actually just as healthy as fresh, mostly because they get frozen or canned on site, as opposed to fresh, that can take a while before it reaches the aisles of your local supermarket.
    I remember reading something about this, can't remember where, but it was a good source, and it said something like what I wrote here.
    My answer exactly! you just beat me to it :wink:
  • toddis
    toddis Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    Some newer ones come with sauces on them that might be less than ideal which might not be completely obvious at first glance.