Heart Rate Range

Options
rgohm
rgohm Posts: 294 Member
I have been looking around the internet to try to figure out a good heart rate range for me and I just can't find the information I am looking for. I am 35 yrs old, female, 5' 6", about 266 pounds currently. I have been trying to workout three times a week but the more I workout (which usually means the treadmill) the faster I can go or the more I can incline the machine. I have heard if (not sure if it is accurate) if your heart rate increases too much you aren't really burning fat anymore. Is this accurate?

When I first started my heart rate would get to be about 129 but now it has been up to as much as 141 because I am pushing myself harder. I am using the machine's gauges because I don't have my own HRM as of yet. I just want to know that I am working out in the way that is going to make me the healthiest but also burning optimal amount of fat as well.

Replies

• Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Your "fat burn" is based on your average day calorie deficit, not on your exercise heart rate.
  • rockerbaby2003
    rockerbaby2003 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    You can google a calculator, but you'll need your resting heart rate for more accurate ones. I also would only rely on the treadmill's projection of your heart rate as a guide, its not exact. If you are really concerned about getting it exactly, then you should invest in a wristband of some sort that will keep track much more accurately, and you could use it outside too! I would say you really shouldn't put too much stress on your heart for too long, it doesn't seem healthy, but I'm also FAR from an exercise expert :)

Here are some calculators from reliable sources
    http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/target-heart-rate/SM00083
    http://www.webmd.com/fitness-exercise/healthtool-target-heart-rate-calculator
  • RobynLB
    RobynLB Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about your heart rate. The harder you are working, the more calories you are burning... and the more fat you will lose. That target heart rate thing is stupid. You do burn glycogen (sugar stored in your muscles) at a certain cardio threshold, but that's irrelevant to fat loss, which is based on you calorie deficit, not whether you were using glycogen or fat as fuel at any particular moment.
  • vicarella13
    Options
    Hi,
    Check out this site:
    http://exercise.about.com/od/weightloss/a/The-Truth-About-The-Fat-Burning-Zone.htm

I believe it to be accurate. I have a heart rate monitor that I bought about 10 years ago and love it. It is more accurate than holding on the machines. It will be read by most machines too. Depending on your health, genetics and fitness level the rate will vary. The more fit you get the quicker your heart rate will recover. Try intervals training on the treadmill if you want to burn more calories. For example, go hard for 2 minutes, slows down for 4 (repeat).

Hope that helps :)
  • rgohm
    Options
    Hi,
    Check out this site:
    http://exercise.about.com/od/weightloss/a/The-Truth-About-The-Fat-Burning-Zone.htm

I believe it to be accurate. I have a heart rate monitor that I bought about 10 years ago and love it. It is more accurate than holding on the machines. It will be read by most machines too. Depending on your health, genetics and fitness level the rate will vary. The more fit you get the quicker your heart rate will recover. Try intervals training on the treadmill if you want to burn more calories. For example, go hard for 2 minutes, slows down for 4 (repeat).

Hope that helps :)

I actually have been going at it hard for about 10 min and then backing off a little bit. I want to push myself but I also don't want to have a heart attack from over working my body either. I am just trying to "build up" my endurance a little as well; I think it will help me with my asthma.
  • rgohm
    Options
    Thank you everyone who has or will reply. I appreciate your suggestions and support.