working out at night??

Options
Does anyone else enjoy working out at night?

I know they say it's better to work out in the morning, but I am totally NOT a morning person. I am a die hard night owl so it just makes sense to me to workout at night... Plus there's not many people at the gym this late at night....

The only problem is, when I get home from work, I tend to want to not go anywhere else, the gym included....
So for all you night owls that work out at night, how do you stay motivated to go to the gym at night?
Or do you have any tips on how to get my workout in, even if it means waking up early? How do you guys wake up SO early? lol

Replies

• mcflat29
    mcflat29 Posts: 2,159 Member
    Options
    I saw a story that research had said working out at night didn't hurt a person but was harder to stick to. I don't have to go to the gym since I work out at home, but I think of it as time for me. And I treat myself afterwards with something I enjoy before bed like a long hot shower, a good book, a mug of hot chocolate.
    If I don't do the workout, I don't get the treat and after a long day of work I really look forward to the treats. Good Luck!
  • tacticalhippie
    tacticalhippie Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    I do...
    It is harder to get motivated.

But it's MY time after my kiddos go to bed.
  • westerly34
    Options
    Personally I like working out at night however I take a preworkout and that keeps me up all night for too long lol So I have begun to workout during the daytime. Its not bad also doesnt hurt thats when most of the ladies are there too ;) lol but yea I feel also especially for a guy its better to workout earlier because you get it done with and can focus on the nutrition for the rest of the day. Especially if you are pursuing a low carb diet. So earlier before the workout you can carb up for energy and after workout eat some more carbs to refuel and then the rest of the day you can get your protein and fats in.
  • lamby284
    lamby284 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I work out at night. anywhere from 4-11pm. I find it helps me sleep better. I dont have the motivation in the morning to get up too so at night makes the most sense. I take up the living room once everyone is gone!
  • pickupappenguin
    pickupappenguin Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I tend to work out after work which usually means some point between 6.30 to 10. I find that the best way is to go straight to the gym. If I go home first, it's a struggle to go back out.
  • nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    My workouts fit into my schedule, hence some being early morning, some being in the afternoon and some being later in the evening (after 8 p.m.) Days off are more flexible. What keeps me motivated? The way I feel and how strong I have become. Simple.
  • bsmith404
    bsmith404 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Can you eat something an hour before leaving work and change at work then head straight to the gym? I know for some it's hard to go back out once they get home. Or if you must go home put your workout clothes and bag right at the front door so as you are walking in, grab it, change, then head back out.

My workouts are all over the place. I run 4x a week at 8:30am and I go to classes at the gym at 1030am on my cross training days. My kids were out of school last two weeks so I was running and going to the gym 7-8pm when my husband got home but I was dressed and ready to as soon as he walked in the door.

I make my workout a priority. If you had a 6pm dr. appt would you go? Then put your workouts at a certain time and go!
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    I go at night, often. Makes no real difference when you work out as long as you work out...
  • Valtishia
    Valtishia Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I love working out in the morning, but I now have a 8 week old so that really isn't reasonable for me. She still nurses in the middle of the night, so I am not energetic enough for that in the morning at the moment. This wouldn't apply to everyone but since I am on maternity leave, I nap with my daughter when she does at around 3pm. My husband gets home between 5 and 5:30pm. I have a protein shake which gives me a little boost after the rest and I am good to go to the gym.
  • Gramps251
    Gramps251 Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I work out after work, so around 7:30. I find I'm less hungry after working out so I tend to eat less for dinner and evening snack.
  • Sycoholic
    Sycoholic Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I go right after work. If I go home I get too relaxed and never make it back out to the gym. Sure, it's busier then than later at night, but I belong to a large gym so equipment is never an issue. Sometimes I do go late at night, but it's only for the pool. I'm not a very good swimmer and I find the pool open without others waiting. I can then take my time and swim as hard or as little as I want. I'm just trying to be courteous to others that way. Morning? I don't go because I find my energy level is lower, so not as good a workout, plus I have a set time I'd have to leave to get to work. Going after work means I can take as long as I want or need. Going when you feel most energized is not only going to keep you motivated, but I believe give you better results as you'll be able to perform better.
  • carfamily08
    Options
    I do around 9pm every night on average. I love it. I'm a night owl and always have the most energy/motivation at night - even after long days. It also has helped me fall asleep faster which is a plus because I still have a baby who is up 2-3x a night so I'll take all the sleep I can get!