Vegans/Vegetarians Curious About...

Options
Protein powders that do not contain soy that you use. I am in a small town, so do not have a ton of access to a lot of products, but there is a GNC and a Vitamin World at the local mall that has a selection. What are your thoughts on the flavor and effectiveness of specific brands? I am wanting to get a non animal based protein for my morning protein shake. Thank you very much!!

Replies

• asaunders1981
    Options
    I use Vega protein powder. Zero animal products and zero soy. It's a great product and the best tasting that I've found. Not sure where you live but they sell Vega right in the grocery stores here, in the pharmacy, and in the drug stores in the health product section. Cheers!
  • Topher1978
    Topher1978 Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    Thank you! Anyone else have any ideas?
  • bellevie86
    bellevie86 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I second the VEGA, i just started Shakeology and the flavor of VEGA is farrrrr better. It's what i was using for the last 5 months and i love it!
  • Topher1978
    Options
    so Shakeology is no good. That is a bummer, as I am thinking about becoming a Beachbody Coach… Maybe I will try to get P90X Certified… NASM is offering a class this month, but I am not ready for it yet. I hope that it comes up again when I finish some of my goals!
  • bellevie86
    Options
    No No, don't get me wrong. I don't mind the shakeology shake. I've been using it the last week. Just trying it out.But i've only tried chocolate. Its not a bad taste at all. Just find the vega chocolate tastes better :)
  • bellevie86
    Options
    And let's not forget that Vega is cheaper LOL
  • veganashley
    veganashley Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I really like pea protein. I buy vanilla flavor from Vitacost.com. It's reasonably priced and I like the flavor. It is sweetened with stevia though, which people seem to either love or hate. If you search for vegan protein powder on Amazon, you will find tons of options.
  • gingerveg
    gingerveg Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    Regarding being in a small town I order from Amazon and it's cheaper than my natural grocery anyway. I use raw protein by garden of eatin but I don't know if it has soy in it.
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    I utilize Amazon a lot - vital wheat gluten is super cheap, soy free and can be used to make high protein seitan (there's a great recipe for homemade seitan on www.theppk.com).

Also, brown rice/gemma pea protein powder, I get 5 pounds of mine from truenutrition.com and its' about $10 per pound with shipping. The birthday cake flavor is the best!
  • Topher1978
    Options
    Thank you! I am allergic to gluten… so I only use it lightly in my food… I love gluten products, and gluten is the best for bread and pastry consistency, but it KILLS me… I haven't written it off completely, but I extremely limit it. If Vitamin World caries that Vega, I am gonna try it! I will try that garden of eatin as well, as I like the name :p
  • shanmackie
    shanmackie Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I've had Shakeology and I actually really enjoyed it. The chocolate flavor was nice.

I bought a couple of packets of these (http://www.veganstore.com/product/vega-energizing-smoothie-packets/protein-and-meal-powders) to try, and I really really liked them. I will probably buy a full size tub at one point.

I plan to try this soon as well (http://www.veganstore.com/product/plantfusion-protein-powder-tubs/protein-and-meal-powders)

I've been eating this every day: http://www.amazon.com/Garden-Life-Raw-Meal-lbs/dp/B0031JK95S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1357428763&sr=8-1&keywords=raw+meal+replacement+garden+of+life Calories are high but it gives you a HUGE size scoop and tells you to use 2 of those. It's probably equal to 4 regular size scoops, so I just use a regular scoop and only put one in my smoothies. The smell isn't nice but it's great mixed with almond milk and a frozen banana!!!

Lastly, this is great (http://www.amazon.com/Organic-Rice-Protein-Vanilla-Powder/dp/B0033T8GR4/ref=sr_1_4?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1357428855&sr=1-4&keywords=brown+rice+protein+powder)

I think my favorite is the Raw Meal kind because it's SO good for you. But taste-wise the Vega one.