Getting started when you're THAT unfit - any tips?

Options
2»

Replies

• Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    I started working out at very similar stats to you. I have been active before in periods of my life, but this time I had spent 8 months VERY sedentary so it was a body shock to get active again. I jumped right into Zumba classes and would pant for breath, take breaks, see my heart rate skyrocket on my HRM and have to leave the class early, feeling embarrassed at being the "fat quitter". But I just kept going, until I could finish entire Zumba classes, and now I think I am one of the most energetic people at my Zumba class.

Basically, jump in feet first, but not head first so that you'll break your neck. Establish your limits the first few times, and then exceed them in baby steps, bigger steps, and eventually you'll be making leaps and bounds. (Could I cram any more cliches in there?) Above all, progression and consistency are KEY.
  • Flixie00
    Flixie00 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    Well done on your good start.

Carry on doing what you are doing, but try to increase how much longer you do and intensity each week. Soon you will be a cardio queen.

I would suggest adding other exercise to your work out, i.e. strength training, yoga etc. If I could go back to the start of my journey, I would have started strength training a lot earlier.
  • Lift_This_
    Lift_This_ Posts: 2,756 Member
    Options
    i started very slowly...only walking one mile at a time, then worked my way up to 2-3 miles, then about 8 months later, i was into running almost 2-3 miles a day...

baby steps...we all have to start somewhere.
  • TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    Options
    Just keep swimmin'. Just keep swimmin'.

Take it easy. 30 minutes of exercise when you first start working out is GOOD. You won't get into the swing of things straight away and you're going to get out of breath or feel dizzy on occasion, it happens to the best of us.

This is not a race.
    You do not need to get fit quickly to lose weight quickly.
    Be kind to your body, LISTEN to your body and just keep moving!
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    here's a tip. just get started. what you're doing now is fine. it's where i started almost a year ago. walking, followed by more walking, followed by even more walking. contrary to popular belief, losing weight is NOT about massive calorie burns (you just eat them all back!). it's about creating a small deficit and staying relatively consistent with that deficit over long period of time.

don't worry about how much or how little you burned. i never do and never have. each week try to do a little bit more than you did the week before and try to stick to your calorie deficit. that's all it takes.

best of luck.
  • postrockandcats
    postrockandcats Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    By doing what you're doing. Do 10 min of this, 10 of that and so on until that 10 minutes gets easier and you and you can do 15. Lift a 5 pound weight until it's getting easy and then move up. We aren't born athletes- one day at a time. :)
  • bdur76
    bdur76 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Your getting some great advice here. Just don't get discouraged. When I first started I would go for a two mile brisk walk. I'd come home drenched in sweat and exhausted. With time my fitness improved, and my walks got longer. By the four month mark I had lost almost 100 pounds and started c25k. It doesn't happen overnight, but with patience, persistence, and dedication you will do it! Good luck!
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    Options
    work on building a solid strength foundation first before you do any exercises in good form. walking is the best exercise particularly for those who are out of shape. start out with 10 minutes for 3 days a week. and from there add intensity or mileage. once your endurance level improves then you can try out other exercises.
  • NyimaR
    NyimaR Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on that 250. You know you worked for it. Next time get 251. Every time you improve, even just a tiny bit, congratulate yourself.
    Remember that's 250 you wouldn't have burned sitting on the couch.
  • taylorwaylor
    taylorwaylor Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    Make small goals.... Go on the treadmill and walk... then decide to jog at a certain pace for just 1 min or so, then walk again and repeat. Keep on increseing your joging time and stuff like that.

Also, LIFT HEAVYYYY!
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    Also, LIFT HEAVYYYY!

IGNORE THIS FOR NOW

a push up would be lifting heavy and that is a good goal but rushing things like LIFT HEAVY leads to frustration, burn out and injury
  • Juashmom
    Options
    I'm right where you are...realized how out of shape i made a failed attempt at the 30 day shred...lasted 8 minutes and thought I was going to die....I know I need to incorporate excersise so this week I went on to youtube and found about 15 short low impact aerobic videos...Most of them are no longer than 20 minutes...Today i'm going to do Leslie Sansone's 1 mile Walk Away the Lbs..its not much but its something
  • BunkyBumBum
    BunkyBumBum Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I'm impressed you could do 10 minutes on the elliptical! I lost a lot of weight a couple years ago and I did so just by walking a lot and counting WW Points. Now I've only got 15-20 pounds to lose but I have to build up fitness - I can STILL only do 20 minutes on the elliptical before I feel like I'm going to die!

Try walking, just do an incline and a steady pace. It doesn't seem like a lot, but walking at a good pace for 30 minutes will do wonders for getting you to the point where you can do more.
  • LacyJean1
    LacyJean1 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Great job! Whatever you do, don't get discouraged. It will get a little bit easier with each workout.
  • Deeangelique
    Deeangelique Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    aww, thanks so much everyone. feel much better reading all those responses. Will take the advice about walking and slowly but steadily increasing. More importantly, will try not to be discouraged and stick with it!!

Also going to try the youtube workout videos - never thought of that before!

Thanks all :)