Workout at home,,,what do you do?

Options
2»

Replies

• IslandSteph
    Options
    ok this will sound funny cause this guy has been around. I am in my 30's and using Gilad's Quick Fit system. A friend of mine had great success with it and so far I have enjoyed it. I like that the sessions are anywhere from 20-30 min in length. You work out 6 days and rest one. Cardio alters every other day and in between it is body sculpting with some resistance. For me it works perfectly since my work schedule is never consistent. I would never make it to the gym because by the time I would get home I was too tired to drive and spend 1hour or more taking a class. So now their is no excuse and I feel as though my time is the focus instead of getting to the gym. Feel free to friend me if you want to see my progress.
  • brighteyesxluv
    brighteyesxluv Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    elliptical machine
    bike (both the one in my basement and riding my real bike outside when it's warm)
    tae bo!! << miracles happen
    and other random workout dvds like callenetics (old 80s workout that really tones your booty!)
  • clarkeje1
    clarkeje1 Posts: 1,635 Member
    Options
    Calisthenics, Wii fit, Jillian DVDs, running (training for 5k with c25k app on my phone)
  • Meaghansherman
    Meaghansherman Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I like Jillian Michaels 30 day shred. i still have never completed the full 30 days but boy does it work! Also I like Tone it up's workouts. Also work great!
  • Amazonbella
    Options
    I agree with IslandSteph...Gilad's workouts are actually REALLY good! :)

I myself have an Xbox Kinect and have the Just Dance and Zumba workouts...I also have my own treadmill and just purchased a nordic track recumbent bike...therefore if I want to wake up at 4am or midnight to workout I can-NO EXCUSE! Plus I don't have to feel like I need to put on make-up or special clothes, I can wear pj's and get a killer workout done!

Also the Windsor Pilates set is wonderful...I have a lot of issues with my back (4 bulging disks) and I do the lower body training which helps A LOT with strengthening my core.
  • moonsforeyes
    Options
    Jillian Michaels DVDs and just the basic things like sit-ups, crunches, etc.
  • lundii
    lundii Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I bought an elliptical to start the workouts and when I was fit enough I did Insanity. Completely.
    Now I am back on the elliptical... thinking of doing Insanity again.
  • melt57
    melt57 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I hit the street - C25K! Last year I quit during the winter due to darkness/cold, but this year I invested in some cold weather running clothes and lights/visibility gear, and I was happy to find I was comfortable running in 20-30 (F) degree weather in the dark!! In fact, my elliptical is collecting dust in my bedroom, and I am about ready to sell it.
  • contraryquite
    Options
    You've answered a lot of my questions here!! Thanks.

I use the gym, but there are times when I just can't get there with my schedule. I've never used a workout DVD before and 30 Day Shred seems like a great start (thanks to your review!). I'll give it a go - good price too.

Do you need a lot of space to complete it effectively? And will I need weights?

Thank you!
  • cleomouri
    cleomouri Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I have a Xbox 360 with a Kinect so I use Your Shape: Fitness Evolved. I love it.

Lots of options to choose from and the updated 2012 edition has even more. I'm looking forward to trying it out when it comes in the mail next week.

Edit: The program often recommend to work out with a 5-10 hand weight in each hand. I was afraid I'd accidentally let go of them as I was working out so I bought 3lb wrist weights instead.
  • Fittreelol
    Fittreelol Posts: 2,535 Member
    Options
    Nerdfitness.com is great as someone mentioned.
    Lovingfit.com is amazing! I love Tati. Unlike some other body weight exercise sites she is really good at balancing exercises between body parts, and making sure you don't overwork an area.
    angrytrainerfitness.com has exercises, and is a really good resource all around. I learn so much from Alfonso.
    Gilad is also good. My mom used to do his tapes all the time when I was little. She has a bit of a crush and says the best thing is even though she's older when she watches Gilad is still the same age. :laugh:
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    I have a kettlebell that I use. I just do plain old kettlebell swings, about 15 minutes worth and that is more than enough to kick my *kitten*.

Mostly I prefer exercising outside. Luckily I live in a part of the world where outdoor activities are feasible all year long.
  • Lifelearner
    Lifelearner Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Supreme90Day - similar to P90X. Picked it up on clearance at Target for $10 (usually $20). Main exercise other than cycling and I dropped 30 lbs in a matter of months after starting it.
  • DKrisAn
    DKrisAn Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I workout to mostly Jillian Michaels DVDs especially her Body Revolution program (if you can afford this program I would highly recommend it to you). I also workout to Jari Love's DVDs and Tae Bo.
  • nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,080 Member
    Options
    I use videos on youtube and I have a pull up attachment for my doorframe and I do press ups, sit ups, burpees, that type of thing if I cannot get to the gym. Otherwise you can start running, fast walking or cycling if you have a bike for cardio.
  • thegeordielass
    thegeordielass Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    30 day shred, tae-bo, zumba wii games, my fitness coach (dance) on the wii, Just Dance games, Nike training club (I have the app on my iphone - not sure if it's available elsewhere too). I switch between them.
  • annette_15
    annette_15 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    The new Zumba Core game for wii is my new obsession. Love the 1 hour length classes, as well as Just Dance 4, I find them both really good for days when I dont wanna do something super strenuous or go to the gym, they make u break a sweat and have fun at the same time! If I want something a little more challenging I'll do p90x vids. I dont really follow a program and just do what I feel like most days
  • aakokopelli7
    aakokopelli7 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I have comcast On demand. They have tons of different workouts on there. I like the dance and the walking ones the most. All I have had to buy so far is 3lbs hand weights. I also own a total gym that I do some ab work on. I don't go to a gym at all because the nearest one to me is about 15 mins away and I am not spending up all the gas to get there.
  • KittyViolet
    KittyViolet Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I use a combination of a Jessica Smith DVD (there's a 22 minute cardio section that really burns (:<), treadmill/jogging outside depending on the season, and my own weight lifting and kickboxing drills with dumbbells and ankle weights. 3 or 4 days a week I go to a 45 minute MRT/MCT class where I do heavier weight lifting, since they have better equipment and barbells.
  • balancedbrunette
    balancedbrunette Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much everyone for your replies, seriously did not expect such a helpful response...so grateful, lots of sites and dvd references to keep me going :D.
    Dave198lbs - well definitely check out more nerdfitness.com someone put me onto the beginner bodyweight routine on there heard a lot of good reviews on it.
    Getphit09 - lots of dvds mentioned there, thanks a lot.
    Karint74 - great advice, heard keeping the body guessing is so beneficial regarding metabolism and everything aswell.
    Islandsteph – thanks for your advice haven’t heard of gilads quick fit system but may look into it for the future.
    Fittreelol – thanks for all those sites will definitely check them out.
    Annette_15 – funny I was just about to ask if anyone had tried this as I’m thinking of ordering it, actually think I will.
    Just looking for some ideas off others..I enjoy working out at home as I actually find I get more done and more often than going the gym, i'm a college student so working out in my apart often suits my routine better

just wondering what dvds out there people use for a healthy cardio/strength routine

Was thinking of starting julian michaels but its just a 30 day and i'd rather use one thats a bit more balanced, i'm afraid with julian michaels ill put any weight i loose back on again after the 3o days...

Also really looking to work my upper tummer which seems to be holding on to fat :(..advice appreciated :)

Trust me you will not put the weight back on after doing 30 Day Shred!! For one, you'll love the results so much you'll want to do another Jillian DVD or do the 30 DS again!! I did 30 DS, Ripped In 30, and I'm doing 6 Week 6 Pack now. After this I'll probably do another one!! The results are fantastic.

As for me, I've never belonged to a gym. I have a free weights at home and run outside. I've been the same weight since high school!! My secret? It's not working out....it's clean eating. No amount of working out will make up for a bad diet. Focus on that first, because if you don't get that right you'll be spinning your wheels.

Very useful info, guess clean eating does stand for a lot of it no point exercising and filing my diet up with bad food, have been getting better at getting my macros in lately though.
    Going to try Jullian's workouts anyway, worth a shot.:)

Thanks so much everyone for your advice.

Anyone else any experience with the Zumba Core fitness for Wii....ordering this :)