I want to try Yoga/Pilates but don't know where to start

Options
So yeah, I think I want to try them out, I was thinking of buying a DVD but can anyone tell me the differences between Yoga and Pilates? Which one should I try? Also does anyone have any good DVD recommendations for a complete beginner? Thanks. :)

Replies

• ellen_v
    ellen_v Posts: 33
    Options
    blogilates.com is a god send to me. It's pilates but with a bit of a twist. She does free pilates, cardio and HIIT youtube videos and she's really motivating. Her 30 minute beginner pilates video is probably a good idea to see if you like it. Her videos are a lot more active than the classes I've been to but I get better results with that. Also the community on facebook and youtube is really motivating and she posts great little healthy snack ideas and things. There is also a calendar with tailored work outs every day but the January one is quite cardio focused. Livestrongwoman also have loads of free pilates and yoga videos so you could try them and see which you prefer.
  • rlysrh
    rlysrh Posts: 244
    Options
    Thanks so much! I'll definitely check out all those things :)
  • danifo0811
    danifo0811 Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    I find yoga to be more whole body and focused on energy flow. Pilates is very focused on lengthening and core strength.

I have taken some good yoga classes but generally I find yoga instructors to say things about energy flow that makes me roll my eyes. The Pilates I've done has been done and they seem more fitness focused in their chatter.
  • sarah692
    sarah692 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I do like Blogilates but a lot of it seems pretty advanced, and her workout calendar is definitely intense for someone new to pilates. It's a great resource though.

The only yoga I've ever liked was the 40 minute video included with Turbo Fire, so I'm still looking. lol