help! building muscle while losing weight?

Options
treagal
treagal Posts: 264 Member
I have been at this for 2 months. Within the first month i lost about 20lbs, just by staying within my calories. I started with my goal being 2lbs, and at about 3 weeks in I changed it to 1.5lbs. I'm 5'7 and 227lbs now.

Going into month two I started lifting weights for half an hour and doing cardio for half an hour, 4-5 days a week. I haven't really lost any weight in month 2?????? I follow the calories that I am allowed, usually I have about 300cals left at the end of the day. Feel free to look at my diary.

Am I not losing weight because I am in a calorie deficiet (and you need more calories to build muscle)?
Should I ease off lifting weights for now and just do cardio until io lose a desired amount of weight?

Your advice is greatly appreciated.

Replies

• Mutant13
    Mutant13 Posts: 2,485 Member
    Options
    You are losing less weight since you started strength training because you are probably no longer losing muscle mass. This is a GOOD thing. Any weight loss you have had, wil be fat instead of lean tissue. This means that when you reach your goal weight your body will look more defined and sculpted with all the lovely muscle you have held on to.

I really think that overall weight is not something people should pay much mind to ( the exception being those who have a LOT to lose) have your body fat measured and take your measurements in inches instead. It is much more important
  • laurayeo2
    Options
    I know how you feel - it's frustrating! I started training with a trainer earlier this year, and my biggest struggle was knowing internally that I was doing healthy things for my body and building/strengthening muscle but not seeing the #s move that much on the scale. The important thing to remember is that you are being healthier overall, and all exercise is good! Once your muscles continue to grow, you'll start to drop the weight again. The more muscle you have the more calories you will burn - especially if your leg muscles are strong (since they are the largest in the body!). Don't get discouraged, and continue to do what you're doing and the results will come! :)