Oral Allergy Syndrome.. HELP!

Options
Due to my severe seasonal (more like year round) allergies, I am extremely sensitive to many fruits such as apple, strawberry, blueberry, peach, kiwi, etc. as well as tree nuts. When I eat these foods, my throat, mouth, and inside of my ears get EXTREMELY itchy and irritated. The allergist I see (because I need to get weekly allergy injections) told me that I have what is called OAS (Oral Allergy Syndrome). This means that because of my sensitivity to certain pollens, these tree fruits and tree nuts cause a reaction when ingested because of those pollens grown on the fruits. Fortunatly, they can be cooked off, but not washed off. So I am able to eat applesauce, apple pie, etc.

I guess my real problem here is that I would like to try an organic apple. I was wondering if anyone else had similar issues and found that organic fruits were less bothersome!

Replies

• drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    Let me make sure I understand the question

Right now you are allergic to fruit such as apples

You are asking if you can eat a apple?
  • ajmart
    ajmart Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem.. I just enjoy the fruits cooked.. I hate missing out on them fresh, but have learned to deal w/it. look online for some fun recipes.
  • kaseyAnne425
    Options
    I am asking if an ORGANIC apple would make a difference, my audience is people who are familiar with OAS.. it sounded like a stupid question.. but I'm allergic to the pollens on the apple.. wasn't sure if organic would make a difference.
  • MindyBlack
    MindyBlack Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    If the problem is with the pollen and not pesticides I don't see that eating organic will help you.
  • bubblybabeuk
    bubblybabeuk Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem and live on strong antihistamines, without them I cannot eat raw fruit and veggies, organic didn't make any difference its the proteins in the fruit I am allergic too. Good luck xx
  • PapaverSomniferum
    PapaverSomniferum Posts: 2,677 Member
    Options
    pollen is organic.
  • e_hat
    e_hat Posts: 2
    Options
    This isn't a quick fix, but I had the same problem. I went vegan, but I think cutting out the dairy did it. It took multiple months, but now I can eat all the fruits and nuts I want. It's obviously a huge change, but there a so many physiological rewards it's unbelievable. Try it for 2 weeks and see what you think. Hopefully someone has another alternative, but it's the only thing that worked for me :-/
  • frood
    frood Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I am asking if an ORGANIC apple would make a difference, my audience is people who are familiar with OAS.. it sounded like a stupid question.. but I'm allergic to the pollens on the apple.. wasn't sure if organic would make a difference.
    I have a similar issue with kiwi, pineapple and bananas.

If your problem is pollen, it won't help. Organic apples still have pollen. The reason cooking things is helping is because it denatures the proteins that are causing your reaction.

(btw, grilled pineapple is total nomz. I recommend.)
  • nesonntag
    nesonntag Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    My husband has a similar allergy, but only has trouble with apples and kiwi. He has not noticed any difference by trying organic apples, but he can eat any apple if it is peeled. I peel apples for him because if he does it himself and mistakenly touches his mouth or eyes he winds up with a reaction.
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options
    Wow OP, I have nothing to say except I hope you can find a solution.
  • Mel2626
    Mel2626 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I have an oral allergy to lots of fruits and veggies but only in raw form. If they're cooked even a little bit, I'm fine. I haven't noticed a difference between organic or otherwise (because it's the pollen causing the lovely allergic reaction) but you could always just give it a try if you really want to find out for sure.
  • Surreallia
    Options
    Didn't even see this post and I just made my own topic on it!

I have a VERY hard time eating raw fruits and vegetables. My mouth, lips, and throat are set on fire and I get moderate hives. I know most of the nutrients are in these raw miracle foods but I don't know how to get around this without either loading up on Benadryl or getting a shot from an allergist once a week for 6 months to a year :( Just wondering if anyone else has this problem and what they do to get past it without fully cooking their vegetables and fruits.

To learn more about OAS (Oral Allergy Syndrome) check out this link:

http://www.inspection.gc.ca/food/consumer-centre/food-safety-tips/labelling-food-packaging-and-storage/information/oral-allergy/eng/1332351950134/1332352076501

This whole allergy thing is a real deterrent for trying to lose weight!
  • runningwild00
    Options
    Due to my severe seasonal (more like year round) allergies, I am extremely sensitive to many fruits such as apple, strawberry, blueberry, peach, kiwi, etc. as well as tree nuts. When I eat these foods, my throat, mouth, and inside of my ears get EXTREMELY itchy and irritated. The allergist I see (because I need to get weekly allergy injections) told me that I have what is called OAS (Oral Allergy Syndrome). This means that because of my sensitivity to certain pollens, these tree fruits and tree nuts cause a reaction when ingested because of those pollens grown on the fruits. Fortunatly, they can be cooked off, but not washed off. So I am able to eat applesauce, apple pie, etc.

I guess my real problem here is that I would like to try an organic apple. I was wondering if anyone else had similar issues and found that organic fruits were less bothersome!

Hi! I also have OAS. Organic fruit will not change your symptoms because it has nothing to do with how the fruit is grown. It has to do with the pollination process. So organic does NOT matter. Be careful because some reactions can be bad. But what can help is certain seasons. I can eat apples around the fall, but not in the spring. If you google or ask your Dr there are certain times of year that are better for OAS.

If the fruit is cooked, you generally can eat it. I can eat apple pie, but have reactions to raw apples.

Talk to your Dr before you try something you are unsure about. This can be dangerous!!!
  • fayeonherway
    Options
    OMG! People like me do exisit!!!! The looks I get when I tell people I have Oral Allergies. ORGANIC does not help! Only cooking will allow me to eat:
    Apples
    Pears
    Peaches
    Apricots
    Plums
    Cherries
    Pineapples
    Kiwi
    Avocado (started within the last few years)

Sometimes I can eat strawberries, blue berries, and raspberries in small doses. BUT then I get itchy later and the nausea starts! The fruits I can enjoy are mango (for some odd reason), grapes, citrus fruits, bananas. I can't have most nuts. But cashews, hazelnuts and chestnuts are fine.

So when people say eat more fruits...I say I wish. But I enjoy not feeling like my body is on fire and my throat closing :-)

I also have a severe pollen allergy...no one told me my state has the highest pollen count in the country when I decided to move here. The first year I thought I was going to die!
  • MsMeiio
    Options
    Interesting... I have the same problem with eating apples. I can eat them cooked but never raw. Because of so many chemicals and pesticides, I thought those were triggering my allergies but I never thought to consider the pollen from the trees. Recently, I got very hungry and ate an apple. I broke out but the itchiness wasn't severe.