What Do I Need for Camping

Options
neverstray
neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
I set up a camping trip with my kids. I haven't been camping since I was a kid. I have nothing. Between now and April, I need to buy a few things.

There are no bears where I am going. This is important. That's what they say, although I am suspicious of that. Lol.

On my list of things is:
Tent, sleeping bag, flash light, batteries, pads for sleeping bags, lantern, Coleman stove and propane, cutlery, knives, pots, pans, and coffee pot or instant coffee, fishing poles, bikes, food, cooler, clothes, chairs, wood for fire, first aid, bug spray, and guitar. That's it, right? What am I missing? Any thing obvious?

Replies

• PapaverSomniferum
    PapaverSomniferum Posts: 2,677 Member
    Options
    sunscreen. Duct tape. bungee cords. a tarp. (these last two are unexpected-bad-weater precautions. if you're camping in an area that doesn't have surprise rain, they're not as important) rope, compass,

and of course,

marshmallows, chocolate, and graham crackers.
  • Wickedbookworm1977
    Options
    Lighter fluid to start the campfire...matches and twigs work, but lighter fluid makes it go a LOT faster!! Esp when it's 15 outside.
  • ChristaToTheMax
    ChristaToTheMax Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Fire. You're missing fire. You've got the wood, propane, and such... but it is always smart to bring a lighter and some form of tinder. You don't want to be stuck in a situation without it. :)

Also, a trash bag - every camping / survival show in the world shows a trash bag for about a thousand different reasons. But, first and foremost - throw away your trash.
  • neverstray
    Options
    Great suggestions so far. Thanks.
  • ChristaToTheMax
    ChristaToTheMax Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    The key to camping is to go minimal but everything should have several uses, imho. I suggest packing light, bringing only the things that you need, or that you may need in case of an emergency, and having fun! Food, water, shelter, fire, and latrine --- all you really need to worry about!
  • KBjimAZ
    KBjimAZ Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Lighter fluid to start the campfire...matches and twigs work, but lighter fluid makes it go a LOT faster!! Esp when it's 15 outside.

Rather than using flammable liquids, use fire starter sticks. Much more safe, work in any temperature and available most anywhere.
  • pawnstarNate
    pawnstarNate Posts: 1,728 Member
    Options
    Just stay in a hotel with a swimming pool cause if you have to ask what you need for camping....it's going to be a loooonnngggg weekend. lol

Kidding.....I'm from Arkansas...camping every year of my life....even though I own a 26' 5th wheel camper...we always squeeze in a weekend of just tents and sleeping bags. Your inventory should fit how many days/nights you are planning though. if it's just an over nighter....minimal gear is needed. If it's 3-4 days. Pack heavier but, then that also depends on if you are hiking to your camp spot or just parking and camping. Get with a local outfitter and if they are experienced...they will help get what you "need" and not just the things they think you need so they can increase their sales.
  • PapaverSomniferum
    Options
    The key to camping is to go minimal but everything should have several uses, imho. I suggest packing light, bringing only the things that you need, or that you may need in case of an emergency, and having fun! Food, water, shelter, fire, and latrine --- all you really need to worry about!

a good point on the multi-use thing

my family goes camping for up to 5 days at a time, AT LEAST twice a year.

We take coolers that double as tables and chairs,

we have a flashlight that is also a hanging lantern that is also a hammer

we have swiss-army-style silverware

multi-tools save space and are easier to keep track of.

also, and you probably know this, but it bears repeating

"Take only pictures. Leave only footprints"
  • hellraisedfire
    hellraisedfire Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    hair ties and hair pins.
    tweezers, or whatever you use to get splinters out.
    some sort of first aid kit.
    if you have contacts, make sure you bring extra. if not, a bug is going to fly into your eye and decimate it immediately.
  • d_Mode
    d_Mode Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    I set up a camping trip with my kids. I haven't been camping since I was a kid. I have nothing. Between now and April, I need to buy a few things.

There are no bears where I am going. This is important. That's what they say, although I am suspicious of that. Lol.

On my list of things is:
    Tent, sleeping bag, flash light, batteries, pads for sleeping bags, lantern, Coleman stove and propane, cutlery, knives, pots, pans, and coffee pot or instant coffee, fishing poles, bikes, food, cooler, clothes, chairs, wood for fire, first aid, bug spray, and guitar. That's it, right? What am I missing? Any thing obvious?

At least one handgun...most obvious...and probably something in case it rains if you don't already have that included with your clothes.
  • frando
    frando Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    a basic first aid kit is always a must (ie a few bandages, pain relief etc.) ! Also can not understate the usefulness of duct tape :3

Have fun!
  • PhearlessPhreaks
    PhearlessPhreaks Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    water!!! I used to go camping every autumn with a bunch of friends for about 5 days, and the first time we went, it astounded me how much water we used. We did a lot of drinking, so we had plenty of beer, liquor, mixers, etc… but we also brought gallons of water. I guess we don't really notice how often we use it until there's no tap available.

Also, toilet paper. And, whatever disposable products you use, make sure they're paper products and not styrofoam- you can burn the paper and have less garbage to take out :)
  • jennibee70
    jennibee70 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    A tin opener. That's what I always forget.
  • neverstray
    Options
    Cool. Thanks Everyone.

This is going to be pretty minimal, for the most part. If successful, we'll start going more often. I love camping and the outdoors. Don't know why I've held off so long.
  • Fairysoul
    Fairysoul Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    You will always want a knife!!! We have a nice camping one. And don't forget marshmallows!!
  • JESSJESJ
    JESSJESJ Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    most depends on length of trip but somethings Ive found helpful

bug spray
    sunscreen
    mini first aid kit for scrapes and splinters
    paper towels
    sweat shirt / warmer clothes for the evenings, even if you are going in august
    tarps / rope
    extra socks
    smores
    garbage bags (& a few extra for emergency rain ponchos - anytime we go camping, even if there is a drought - it rains)
    first aid
    swiss army knife (cutting rope etc) / ax (chopping fire food) / mallet (driving in tent stakes) etc etc
    flash lights
    battery operated radio
  • neverstray
    Options
    A tin opener. That's what I always forget.

Oh yeah. Lol
  • gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    Did someone say camping?

<---- All you need is one of these!
  • PapaverSomniferum
    Options
    you'll always need more water than you think you will. Take as much water as you think you'll need....then take more.
  • jennibee70
    jennibee70 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Oh, and a mallet for hammering in your tent pegs.